Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

hudson river trolling

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TeeTime 
#1 ·
Anybody that can share techniques for trolling the hudson in the spring?

Thanks, roughrider

#2 ·
What equipment are you trolling with? Most issues come from not being able to get down to the fish or not being able to troll slow enough. I use 9" deep diving bombers to 25 to 30 feet. As long as I am above them should get strikes. Can also troll live bait same slow speed of1.5 to 2.5 MPH. Some boats have a hard time with that so throw a drift sock out there to slow you down trolling into the current. Troll around a drop-off at the edge of a channel or any odd structure. I spray the lures with Berkley shad spray. Seems to work. Use a beefy 7 to 8 foot rod and a reel with a good drag loaded with 40 or 50 pound braided line because it sinks and is stronger than mono (mono also floats). Ball bearing swivel tied on the ring end of the braid and a fluorocarbon leader rig about four foot between the braid main line and the lure. I even use a teaser hook midway for the miraculous double possibility. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.