Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Shocking!!!!!

Tags
shocking
2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Sudsy 
#1 ·
I new to surf fishing, so some of my questions are about basic
Shock leader I read that some use a heaver line for the last 5 or 10 feet. Why?.
How do you connect the leader to the line? Barrel swivel? blood knot?
How do you cast? I imagine that the leader must not be closer then the first eye on the rod or it would get caught.

That& enough questions, for now.
Sy

#2 ·
Sy Heres some stuff on the simple answer
for a shockleader.
http://www.stripers247.com/shockleader2.htm
Shock leaders are the length of your rod plus one half. anything more than 20 feet will disqualify you for any IGFA records.

Heavier line on the last 5 feet or so are for these reasons. (generally it is from 18 inches to 5 feet. (I use 30 inch leaders.)
1. For abrasion protection against rocks and muscle beds.
2. Stealth when using flourocarbon as your leader. The light refracts very close to the index of water with flourocarbon.
3. Stretch. Monofilament will stretch a little bit. This is useful when using braided lines. Tying on a mono leader will lessen the hook being yanked from the fishes mouth on a hook set.

Hope this clears it a little bit.

#3 ·
Jim:
Thanks for responding. I went to that site and found it informative.
Being that you use a 30" shock leader, I assume the knot doesn't have to
pass through the guides, when casting.
If this is true, can I use a barrel swivel to connect the lines. I tried some
of the knots but I need four hands.
Sy

#4 ·
Sy I use a 30 inch leader running off a barrell swivel from my standing line.
For a shock leader I use about 12 -15 feet. At least 5 wraps around the spool. I use the smallest profile knot that I can. Getting through the guides can be a hassle. I've tried several. This one is the easiest IMO.

until you can get some experiece with the modified albrights and others.

#6 ·
i use the alberto also thumbsup.gif
i dont know how to move things(posts) around---------but zimno 1 posted pics that helped me see axactly how its done---very helpful------mabey jim(or someone else) could post the link

great knot for braid to leader (zips through the guides as if it wasnt there)

#8 ·
Are you putting this on a conventional setup ??

On a conventional setup a long shock leader of heavier test then the running line is used as a safety precaution. The forces generated in a big cast can break a heavy sinker off and turn it into a deadly missile. If you're using a running line of mono of 20# or less a 50# to 80# shock leader that wraps around the spool at least 3 times is a good idea. With todays braided lines where 30# test is actually breaking at close to 55# those long safety leaders aren't required. I use a 4' to 6' leader of 40# to 50# floro attached with a Palomar knot to a 90# Spro swivel that's tied to the braid with a Palomar knot.
In a fishing situation it's best to have a leader that will break at a lighter test then the braid, otherwise you risk losing a lot of expensive line when you get snagged and have to break off.

Spinning gear is a different story all together. The physics of the line and the knot going through the guides on spinning gear beats up the knot really badly. I had too many break offs at the connecting knot (a Zap a Gapped Alberto knot) when I tried using a shock leader on spinning gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.