Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2017 STRIPER REPORTs

153K views 336 replies 72 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2016 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#96 ·
Got the boat in Marlboro yesterday and fished all night till tonight. Beautiful weather out yesterday and tons of fish but no bite....same overnight.....lots of fish in Newburgh Bay but lockjaw.....then today on incoming tide it was game on. We boated 22 total fish mostly 25 to 31 inches. They hit like lightning and all were heading North. Weather today sucked with wind against tide and whitecaps....not to mention it was COLD. Water temp was 56 yesterday and 55 today. All caught on bloodworms. With the wind against tide we had to let out 30 ft of lime to hit the strike zone. Dropping the other boat in Albany tomorrow. I will post pics when I download them.

#99 ·
Nice. Thank you for the reports. Since I usually fish the Newburgh/Cornwall area, I am especially interested in your reports.

Every year, I go out once or twice in May to fish the run. My buddy and I usually bring bloods and herring, but we've never had a fish on the chunks. Even on the years in which we've caught plenty of fish in a day, we catch on bloodworms, and nothing touches the herring. We've fished it at various depths, on different rigs, and even whole (never tried live-lining), but never touched.

I've heard that most larger fish are caught on herring, and the schoolies are on bloods. Can anyone lend a hint to the secret?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Be safe and tightlines to all!

#100 ·
Nice. Thank you for the reports. Since I usually fish the Newburgh/Cornwall area, I am especially interested in your reports.

Every year, I go out once or twice in May to fish the run. My buddy and I usually bring bloods and herring, but we've never had a fish on the chunks. Even on the years in which we've caught plenty of fish in a day, we catch on bloodworms, and nothing touches the herring. We've fished it at various depths, on different rigs, and even whole (never tried live-lining), but never touched.

I've heard that most larger fish are caught on herring, and the schoolies are on bloods. Can anyone lend a hint to the secret?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Be safe and tightlines to all!
Herring work early season when you are targeting the fish that are chasing the herring up to Kingston and Troy. Usually after the first week of May these fish have already passed Newburgh and the next wave primarily eats bloods. BTW.........state record caught in Newburgh on a bloodworm....62 lbs.

#103 ·
Long time member, first post. Thanks to all for the great information as I've learned how to fish stripers in the Hudson. Fished Friday 4/28 1-6pm, 7 landed with largest 24 lbs (my 68 year old Father first striper!). Went again Sunday 4/30 8-11am and was skunked. Fished from Bridge to Marlboro/New Hamburg area both days.

#106 ·
Got the other boat in Albany today and fished from 1 to 5pm...wind against tide was aweful......pushed the boat up river at 1.8mph against an outgoing tide. We fished from the Patroon Island bridge to the Troy Dam with no luck. Marked plenty of striper hunkered down on the bottom with lockjaw. Herring were easy to come by under the Dunn Memorial bridge. Back to Newburgh Wed....they did well down there today.

#109 ·
Took my buddy out on the boat this am. Bruuuutal out there. He reeled in a 31 and we headed for shore. Decided to hit the beach for a fire and some numsit. Ended the night with a 36". Bait was easy all day. Back out in the am.

#113 ·
Hey Jimmydee, nice fish. I see you're on land so I'm curious, are you landing those from shore??? If so, in roughly what area?

This is my 3rd year fishing upper Hudson from shore and I still have yet to land a fish. I've used bloods, sands, chunk and fresh. I've done incoming and outgoing tides from multiple locations (Saugerties lighthouse, shores at HH park, corning preserve, Albany boat launch, Troy dam). Any advice (from anyone) would be much appreciated.

#119 ·
It took me a few seasons to get one as well. Stick with it. The Albany area can be really tough sometimes. FF rig with a 18-24" leader & a live herring was my best bet when I started from shore. Keep the drag set just tight enough so the spool can barely get a click when the herring tugs on the line. Keep the line tight to the weight and check it often. Good luck!

#118 ·
Fished from shore all day in Athens. Bait was spotty. Too many run and drops to count. Ended the day with a little 25".

#121 ·
First Post
Fished Newburgh Bay all day 5/1 one schoolie 19" went out that night screen was blank all night. 5/2 Had to use my leftover bloods at a $1.00 a pop so headed out around 10am to continued blank screens. started to mark fish around 2pm north of Little Stony PT. But by that time I was done.

#123 ·
Fished from Coxsackie to Catskill 10-130 and 4-8pm today. Marked huuuuuge schools in the am. Had one hookup all day on a big one around 5 but got cut off on a rock. Didnt see or hear of anyone catching anything. So it goes. Back out at sunrise.

#125 ·
Just got off the water in Newburgh.......wind was blowing us west to east which made fishing hard but when it calmed down at dusk the fishfinder lit up with schools and we got 10 in the 25-32 in range. The schools dispersed around midnight.

#128 ·
I watch the weather and wherever it is better I will go. I also talk to friends who fish both areas for reports. Albany has short season which is usually only into the first week or 2 of May so I try to hit some of the bigger ones up here early season. I also check the water clarity........rain rarely affects the water in Newburgh because the river is a mile wide down there.

Basically..........if I want large numbers of striper I go to Newburgh...if I wanna only catch a few fish with the potential of 40+ inches I go to Albany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.