Any good tips for this weekend? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Any good tips for this weekend?

So, I have no idea what area to hit this weekend. The Canal has been dead, a friend of mine is telling me Plymouth Bay or the North River and I just got some good reports from the Westport River.

Can someone point me in the right direction? We haven't been doing so well the last few weeks. We have a 16' boat good enough for any of the bays, and the canal has treated us good in the past years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 08:34 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Find some tme between dusk and dawn, find yourself a mudflat,rockpile or section of beach where the sand meets the sea in a confused manner, or maybe a inlet where fresh and salt water collide, rig a large chunk of pogie, herring or mackerel on a fishfinder and anchor it to the borrom with enough lead to keep it stationary, then have a few live eels in a bucket , no water, toss one of those beauties into, along and infront of the structure, chances are you will be justly rewarded...

If bluefish are present substitute the meat for a juicy seaworm, and the eel for a large bucktail jig....
Old 06-30-2006, 09:21 AM

Above all else be careful. This weekend typically can be dangerous with all the "first time in water this season" boaters.

I go out pre-dawn, come back around 0900 and stay home the rest of the day on this weekend.

Live scup are producing good sized fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 01:50 PM

Tailgunner, you are so right. Two years ago we actually witnessed a collision the first weekend in July. Two boaters, messing around and not paying attention. One was visibly under the influence. Pretty scary. Happened on the North Shore.

We ended up taking two people aboard (no life preservers) and had to restrain one guy until the harbor master showed up. I was ready to give one of the guys a pounding when he tried to grab our controls to make a get away. Something straight out of a movie. It didn't help that they didn't speak english very well either.

They ended up trying to press charges against us for restraining them. Ends up there is actually some sort of citizens arestt law where you can lawfully restrain a person from leaving the seen as long as the law is on the way and you do so in a safe manner. Was pretty messy but I'm glad we did the right thing.