Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

a handfull of old reels...junk or not?

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jimmy Z 
#1 ·
this past weekend i got a call from a friend and aquired a few goodies..and some possible junk. i know nothing about old reels...accept the ones that dont allow me to crank with my right hand are useless to me...so if any of these are worth something....im open for trade ideas...im in need of a reel for a lami gunny is bulding me.
heres the list left to right, top to botom of what the reels are labeled.

1. saumon-LUXOR-mer PEZON et MICHEL made in france(it seems to be in working order, but in need of a good cleaning and possible resto)
2. RODDY 944 (seems like an old googan reel..a no name penn or mitchell knock off..but its suprisingly in great working order and seems well built)
3.PENN 650ss..(this one i know is worth cleaning up..and the handle can be put where it belongs...ON THE RIGHT SIDE..it may be too small for the rod gunny is building though.)
4.revelation holiday v1465 (at first i thought is was another penn or mitchell knock off..but then i found the stamping engineered and developed by daiwa on it)

ROW 2
1.langley streamlite (small freshwater baitcaster type)
2. ocean city no.998 ( very simillar to the langley)
3. shakespeare 2155
4. ocean city no. 162 (this is the only reel with damage, the side plate oposite the handle is busted and the frame is bent..but it still works smooth..a good parts reel.
5. abu 5500 c3 (i know what this reel is...i got just the lmb rod for it:redbiggrin:)

ROW 3 the next two i think are fly reels...but one is set up to mount sideways.....
1. martin automatic 48a
2. wolverine no 1695 model e

aside from the reels i ended up with a few old rebel salt water lures, a cordell big o, a 7 3/4" mackeral pattern plug with "old pal" raposa deep swimmer stamped on the lip, and a few heddon fresh water lures and last but not least...."soon to be confirmed" an 11' 3" lami "honey" rod..that i will be bringing to gunny real soon for further inspection and a rewrap.
everything i ended up with was owned by my friends father in law who recenty died in his late eighties...i have no idea how long he had any of this stuff.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The Luxor is the predecessor to the Crack which is the reel the VS is designed off of. In it's day it was the top of the line Montauk reel. Yours is a 300 size and in good fishing shape it should fetch about $80+ on Ebay.
Remove the bail, clean it up, pack it with grease and fish it. It likes 20# Fireline. It's a heavy beast but it'll whoop anything you'll ever hook from the beach. I have one and still take it out once in a while

I also have the Penn 650 and still fish it occasionally. Pick up a manual bail assembly, load it with Fireline and pack it with grease. Vito Orlando, one of the best fishermen in Montauk uses that reel along with his 706's.

The last two are spring loaded fresh water fly reels. Loads of fun with a 5wt on the local lakes for LMB.

Don't know much about the others

#3 ·
thanks for the response suds. im definetley going to clean up the 650ss and use it. the luxor will get a good cleaning, but i wont fish it..ive tried many times to use my left hand to retrieve but its just too akward and un coordinated. im right handed however i cast over my left shoulder and reel with my right hand....and swing a bat and hockey stick lefty... when i was about 4yrs old my left handed neighbor taught me how to swing a bat...that was the beginning of the end. when i played baseball i confused the hell out of everyone because i throw righty.

#4 ·
My brother still uses his Luxor. He bought it at Al's Rod and Gun, in Lawrence Ma, back in the 70's. Al was quite the fisherman and he highly recommended it. Almost 40 years later, it still pulls in fish.

Here's a picture of one after battle. Got the pic off the internet somewhere and saved it. The pic brought back memories because my brother has the same reel and my Dad used to have a Willies. Back in the day.................when gas was 30 cents a gallon....:a_dreaming:
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.