Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

whats the biggest bass u ever cought?

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  fishstripers 
#1 ·
its fun to hear good fishing storys

#2 ·
so far my biggest fish to date was 25.something pounds....a hair under 42"....for the longest time it was just under 38" and a skinny 17.6lbs....i seem to catch a lot of fish between 25" and 35"....the fish have been getting bigger and bigger...as i learn more and more...my cow is comming this year for sure...all i need to do is get my butt to the water...so far this year i have made half the number of trips i did last year..but the quality of fish have been much greater...when the fall run begins..i will make up for lost trips...:redbiggrin:

#7 ·
I'll die a happy man with a 50.

Had a 48 inch fish close to 40 #.
Lost more than a few larger.

Several in the mid / high 30s. Big fish arent that easy to come by.
I used to get at least one in the 30's per season.
Havent gotten a 30 + in 2 or three years. Lost a real nice one that rolled on the leader
last spring.
I havent been able to fish hard either.

#8 ·
Its my first full season with a regular point of access.
Got a boat mid-way thru last year. My prior fishing
was from the beach and while I did catch a few
I never really felt I was doing anything right. Two summers
ago I definitely had a keeper in my grasp and was making
the trek in to the beach some 100yrds with waders on.
Well, the hook came dislodged and the fish shook and
slipped out of my hands. I tried tackling it but all I did
was get soaked!

I don;t have a scale yet but will soon. I'm still using
the tape measure. I had a nice seamstress tape that
went overboard last week, so now I'm back to a Stanley
that seems to wander around the titanic as does the
couple of pair of scissors I have.

My largest Striper caught was 34"...Healthy gut...

I'm having a great time so far this year with hopefully
many more to come. I have much to learn but
am having fun along the way...

My fingers are really taking a beating! Each outing
I've been getting better and better at grabbing and
dislodging hooks. I can't stand the freak show schoolies
put on but will happily take em on a slow night.

I had some pretty decent fish taking line out this year.
Always looking to increase my PB.

--cal

#10 ·
This ones a 92. Netted by the Md Dnr.
Makes anything Ive caught look like a minnow.
But I think i hooked her once and with each head shake she yanked
me to closer to the water. I kept going back to that spot year after year.
lol

#13 ·
Yes Eric the Md. Dept of natural resources fish and wildlife Division does annual gill net surveys. They have dragged up quite a few monsters in the past, notably that brute and others that were tagged and released.
Im guessing that old girl was done.
Below is Craig Weedon of the MD. Dnr with a Potomac river 2004 speciman and Beth Verstak with a fish that was gillnetted and tagged in the upper Chesapeake Bay in 2001. Beths fish was an 87 year class and was 47 inches. tag # 411445.
The length to weight chart put it at 47 pounds.

#16 ·
Well title just sez Bass.

I used to go with a girl who grew up Upstate, in NY. I went with her to visit her sister, who lived on a pond, and brought some tackle.

It was great. Good fishing hole, Canoe got ya all over it. Oxbow...just nice.

Her hillbilly brothers got word I was there and thought I could fish.

"So, yer from Boston"? sez each of like 6 of them.
"yup" sez I.
"Think you can fish"? Sez Each of em.
"I like fishin' " sez I.
"OK, Let's Go" They sez.

It was 4th of July weekend and 95+ degrees every day. No reason for fish to hit. And I F*ckin' killed 'em.

See a boil....white spinner bait cast right behind it....BANG!!!!!

I would be a liar if I remembered the numbers...I used to. but the fish over those 3 days were 15 to 1 me vs. them. There were 5 of them. I was young, I was cool, and they were pissed. I just acted polite and shrugged it all off. But inside....Oh Inside!!!!!

So, on the 4th at damn near 12 noon I was up just below a beaver dam, and saw some mud move in about 8 inches of water and cast a squirrell tail mepps spinner at it...BANG!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 1/2 lb largemouth bass in the mud at mid day with some pissed off girlfriend's bro in the boat. I took the 4 pounder in the cooler, Revived it, and put that mofo back ....

It was awesome.

Each Time I got to the dock a new bro returned with me. Everytime I got back they asked how it went and I was silent. Each told their own sad tale. They all almost died when that one came out on a later trip.

That was the biggest fish I ever caught by any measure I could ever gauge. AND IS WAS PISSA!!!!

Just that they didn't pay attention, and I did. They were agressive, and I fished. They were arrogant(til the end) and I was doing what I did.

I did end up in their favor. But not til after the last.

"You should let that one go. It's a Breeder." some said. Then I filleted it. F*ck you. "It was stocked pond 20 years ago. Access is limited. We're eating."

#17 ·
If we're talking any bass, I was in Florida on a family vacation when I was 10 and my father rented a boat on some huge but shallow lake in the middle of nowhere (right about smack dab in the middle of the state) that he had read about in some magazine. We went out, I was pretty pissed because I had wanted to go to Universal Studios that day but was persuaded to spend the day fishing (mind you I was 10), we fished all day, caught a flippin bird at one point, but nothing substantial fishwise, some babies...

And then just as we were about to leave we were fishing near this long since disused dock that was all broken and weedy, about 4:30pm, I want to say I was using a white spinnerbait with the little propeller on it, raking it along the top, and kaBOOM, gone. It took me quite awhile at 10 years old, and a little help from dad (I still never handed the pole over!) but finally landed the 9 lb, almost 2 foot long beauty.

Now that I look back, I guess it beats Universal Studios.

#21 ·
My biggest striper so far was this spring right in J-bay, a fat 40" that was between 27# and 29#.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.