places to shore fish-Troy Dam area? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Striper Hunter

Default places to shore fish-Troy Dam area?

I will be heading up to the Albany/Troy area next weekend and would appreciate any help regarding places to shore fish up there, especially near or at the Troy Dam- since the fish can't go any further upriver, I figure they might be stacked up there-plus it looks like the Hudson's a lot narrower there as opposed to the vast wide expanses I fish near poughkeepsie and Newburgh/Cornwall.
Thanks in advance guys-this site rocks-I hope to actually CATCH a Striper soon, so I will have something to add to the discussion other than questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default Re: places to shore fish-Troy Dam area?

I am not real familar with that are , but a lot of boat traffic and watch out for the barges , they can only run the channel so stay out of their way.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:41 PM

The Troy dam either side of the river is popular (too popular?). A quick map on your favorite search engine should make access obvious. Going downriver a tiny bit there's a park strating under the Congress Street Brige (on the West side) with a bike path extending a good piece down the river. (Just do a satellite view and you should see it). Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Member Reel Force

There is plenty of room for shore fishing at the Corning Preserve. You might want to give that a try. A TON of people have the same...fish trapped at dam idea and you will see evidence of that in the crowds on shore and so many boats sometimes, it looks like you could walk from one bank to the other across the bows of the boats! lol Also, there is a sign at the Corning Preserve that says it is closed Thursdays, but there is a sign there with directions to other local fishing access spots, so that may come in handy.... Goodluck!!

Last edited by Giudici21; 05-06-2007 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Thumbs up Re: places to shore fish-Troy Dam area?

Thanks a ton, gents-of course if anyone else has input-bring it on!
I'm curious-anyone use bloodworms that far north? Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Member Reel Force

I've never used bloodworms and haven't heard of people using them, but who knows. I usually fish cut or whole bait on the bottom. Should be launching tomorrow morning out of Corning with my brother to try to bag my first Striper of the year. I can't wait to finally hook into one either. Caught 4 Catfish last trip with cut herring on bottom in 20 feet of water.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Striper Hunter

Thumbs up Re: places to shore fish-Troy Dam area?

Thanks again for the knowledge guys-I have another question- wading near the shore and catching herring with a scap net-is that feasible at many of the spots up there? I guess with the new DEC regs what I mean is are there many spots where I could catch Herring and fish for Stripers in the same spot? I guess I'm anticipating the banks being crowded even downriver of the dam this weekend.
Thank you Stripers247!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebound View Post
Thanks again for the knowledge guys-I have another question- wading near the shore and catching herring with a scap net-is that feasible at many of the spots up there? I guess with the new DEC regs what I mean is are there many spots where I could catch Herring and fish for Stripers in the same spot? I guess I'm anticipating the banks being crowded even downriver of the dam this weekend.
Thank you Stripers247!
I'm not sure at the bank/drop there. Be VERY careful wading, it's a big river and can take you a long ways before you can get back to shore. Make sure you have a wading belt and it is cicnhed to your waders before you start ( all that air is a float/life preserver). Bring a long stick to probe you're next step, it could be a foot deeper or could be ten!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Member Reel Force

There are some huge dropoffs on the hudson so the stick idea is a good one. I've been drifting within 4 feet of shore and in 20 feet of water and drift in a little more and its now 10 feet.