what line should I buy? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:38 PM

alright johnny here goes.

#30 fireline is equivalent to 12 or 10 lb test or so right? now, 1 of my reels holds 175 yards of #12 test!!!!
12 bucks of fireline doesnt even fill one reel. rip-off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 06:21 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Not necessarily a rip off. You'll have to use a bit of mono for backing before spooling on Fireline anyway. It also depends on what type fishing your doing. If your fishing off a boat, and just dropping bait down, mono is fine. BUt if your drifting jigs into rockpiles and structure, fishing marshes/rivers with mussle beds and rocks, or fishing very deep depths, mono just aint gonna cut it (no pun intended). If getting a stronger thermal filament isnt worth the insurance to you, then get mono. BUt I know one thing since switching from mono.....I NEVER worry about breaking off when I have a 15+ pound Striper pulling my line out. I have complete confidence and control. Especially when bouncing an offering through the rocks.

It wasnt like that when I used mono.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:25 PM

backing??? you need backing??? wow, that stinks. that means more knots. maybe I'll just do perfection loops :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2004, 06:46 AM

Default jonnys right kev

jonnys right kev Mono is Kuukoo in heavy cover and rocky structure areas. Plus youll get a distance cast with the braid. The knots arent that difficult. you can use the simple shock leader knot. an overhand granny on the backing then slip the braid through the granny knot an tie to the backing with a fishermans (uni) knot.
But Ive used mono forever. Only recently Ive outfitted with braid. Tangles are a real pain though.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:29 PM

eh, I'll just buy the Yo - Zuri stuff. I'm cheap, plus I dont go striper fishing often, so why spend big bucks on it?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:44 PM

Hey guys, most of my rods are rigged with 10-15 lb Ande mono and one with 6 lb Stren in case I feel like being an idiot....with one spinner using Fireline. I'm kinda like Johnny Bolt here, fishing the marshes, except ours down here don't have the mussell bottoms, usually sand or clay.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:36 PM

darkriver, welcome to the board! Nice to have another Marshin aboard ;)

Old 08-18-2004, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Bolt
darkriver, welcome to the board! Nice to have another Marshin aboard ;)
Thanks man...I love fishing the marshes...some of the biggest fish come out of there, and I think I've only seen one other guy in this area that fish them.

In the winter I have to go get all my plugs off of my favorite tree too :-\.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Official Member

Let me toss this out. I use braids and mono, depending on how I feel at the moment. Certainly, braids have some great qualities, for instance, when jigging.

But I have to wonder: if I am using say 50# braid in the canal and catch an 80 pound Striper, I may as well not make a big deal over it because the catch may be deemed illegal by the IGFA if the braid tested over 80 pounds ( the limit for a record in Striped Bass, I believe).

Secondly, and keep in mind I often use braid on the beach so I am not trying to be a pompous arse, I wonder if I am being "Sportsman-like" if I am using a line that really tests way-over what the container says. And I think of braids as high-tech wire line for the shore fisherman.

I wonder if the "weakest link" between a fish and a person....the line and knots....should be the "test" of a persons ability to play and land a fish.

Before someone comes down on me about this, I say again I use braid and don't pass moral judgements on anyones legal way to fish. I have to say this since I know some guys go beserk when I bring this up.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:44 PM

Now, that, was a good post. I agree. Its not so much the line as it is how you play the fish.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Line

Dietricjh I wholeheartedly agree also.

The pink ande mono will pull a tractor out of the water. It is not IGFA certified however. The green stuff is.

They can split hairs all they want but if I pull out a 65 pounder Im really not too concerned about the line. Ill jump up and down and be damn proud of myself and that fish.

I like mono because of the stretch, but I am primarily a bank and shore fishermen. Braid certainly has its place for the abrasion resistence, the cast and the allowance of the reel to hold more line. Whichever way I catch that bad boy is fine with me. :D

If I somehow develop the skills that will allow me to bring in a fish that size I will take it no matter what is dangling out of its mouth. Certified or not. :)
Old 10-13-2004, 08:21 PM

If fireline and similar superlines are too pricey, you may want to look into stren magnathin or silverthread AN-40.

magnathin is a mono
AN-40 is a copolymer.

both have small diameters for their strength. (20lb=15lb diameter)

.While I do believe that 30lb is practical for linesides, I do not think its practical on the above mentioned reel. IMHO.

30lb line may put too much stress on the reel. I suppose you can set the drag loosely, but then there would be no need for 30lb test.

My recomendation would be 15lb AN-40
'bout $6 for 300 somethin yards
Old 10-14-2004, 04:26 AM

Fireline.

Unless your rockin' 3-way swivel rigs for live linin' eels (which MONO and a little strectch may be acceptable).......FIRELINE.

But if yur usin' circle hooks, Trilene Big Game or Yo-Zuri Hybrid is plenty enough. If your like me, and INSIST on the "hook set" as part of the challenge, Fireline will allow you tha slightest of hits N bumps.

Its funny, for freshwater Bass, I will only use a type of Trilene that has been discontinued (GOLD package). ONLY mono I use. All my Salt setups have Fireline or Fireline XDS. I hate stretch unless I'm live-lining eels or herring in the salt or brackish water. I personallt have a hard time NOT setting a hook while using circle hooks lol. I cant break tha habit and miss mucho mounts ah fish :( Jus let 'em turn inta it.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Jigologist

powerpro I tell ya.. it's the bomb..

20# fireline= 12 bucks for 125yds
20# powerpro= 12bucks for 150 yds

not to mention the smaller diameter of 6lb mono

the 30#PP is 8lb diameter

I use a permanant marker in black to color the last 4-5ft of line and you won't need a leader in current... still-water maybe, but the black color virtually disappears...

use some cheap 20 mono backing.. uni-uni knot.. touch of superglue... your rockin'... fill it 3/16 from the top, tight as you can get it... make sure the spool loads evenly..... some reels just don't handle braid well... before you buy it make SURE the spool travels fully and line loads top to bottom without leaving top or bottom gaps... (reel important )

good way to get the line on tight is to drop the spool in the sink of water so it goes on wet... and won't burn you tensioning the line with your fingers while loading plus being wet helps get any stretch out.... you've all seen the "kinky" line under the usable casted line after a fresh load right?.. .... put it on wet... kinks-be-gone

Rock on
Old 10-14-2004, 02:56 PM

I'm going to have to agree with the Jigman on this one. you guys know what i use....PowerPro all the way baby. My friends have had problems with it and they changed over to something else, whatever, when i have a problem with PP, and i haven't yet, i'll change. I have PP on all my rods and i have NEVER had a problem.

One thing i think you guys should know, and you should know too Jigman, is that, you'll want to tie all your knots, be it, uni's, polomars, or anything else, in double knots. when you go onto the PP site, they tell you to do this on account of slippage. when i started using PP, i noticed that sometimes, i'd find my snapswivel, 5 inches lower than where it started, this is because of the knot slipping. so when you pass your loop through anything, pass it through again and then tie your knot, it will never slip again. This is why they tell you to use a backer of mono on the reel before you apply PP.

another thing with Powerpro..........I know why my friends kept getting what looked like "wind knots" when they casted....Always keep powerpro back from the edge of the reel. I know your supposed to keep it within 3/16" but not with Powerpro. keep it back a little further and it will end your nests. It wont affect the cast at all. I'm not overruling you Jigman, just telling you guys what i've learned my friend and what works for me. we all know all of us have things that work for us and not for others.....kind of like Jims hairstyle, hahaha, kidding Jimbo.

once again....my 2 cents.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN 8)