Albany area question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Official Member

Default Albany area question

Iím interested in possibly doing some striper fishing, but Iím limited to doing only shore fishing in the area from the federal dam down to the southern end of Albany and Rensselaer.
1---Is it worth my even trying or is my limited situation a ďMission:ImpossibleĒ deal that isnít worth bothering with?
2---When the stripers get up to Albany (in May from what Iíve read), how long does the fishing for them last in the Albany-Troy stretch of the Hudson?

Iíve caught stripers on charter boats in Cape Cod Bay 15 years ago and surf-casting on Long Island in the 1960ís, but Iíve never gone after them in the Hudson. On a ď1 to 10Ē scale, my overall fishing experience/knowledge is around a 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Albany area question

Its definitely not Mission Impossible but not as good as with a boat. Places to try include the Troy dam, both sides; the little pocket park in Watervliet; all along the Corning Preserve Trail from Menands down to Albany; off the wall by the Bruno building in Troy and along the shore south of there; in the City of Rensselaer at the boat launch and the dock underneath the Dunn Memorial Bridge; along the shore at the Papascanee Nature Preserve; Henry Hudson Park in Bethlehem; Schodack Island Park in Castleton; Coeymans, Coxsackie and Catskill all have parks on the River. Many other spots available if you are willing to explore. Google earth the shoreline
Stripers usually arrive in the middle of April in small numbers, and can be caught through the end of May. First two weeks in May are probably best.
Getting herring is going to be your biggest challenge. Get Sabiki's and one ounce weights, cast them out as far as you can and jig back in. Or consider getting a scap net or building one yourself. Videos on youtube show how its done. Various lures also can work, especially at the dam on the Green Island side, but it can get pretty crowded there. Lastly, I have never seen a report on here about someone catching one from their couch. For what its worth, the new state inland record was caught from shore last year by Newburg. Here is a pic.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the input. Iíve been studying the Google map satellite view of the river and the accessible places in the Albany-Troy stretch of the river arenít hard to find. I imagine like you said the spots immediately south of the federal dam must get more crowded than I want to be part of during peak season.

I've done a lot of bicycling in the Corning Riverfront Preserve and Iíve seen fishermen near the parking areas at each end but very few along the length of it. I guess hiking the length of it is a deterrent... which is good, because I can make it into a combo bike ride/fishing trip and have some shoreline to myself.

Iíd guess the east side of the river north of Rensselaer is probably pretty underused as well. Access there is via the RR tracks and those ATV/snowmobile trails, so I suspect not too many go to the trouble of going all the way up in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
First Mate

That's a fantastic fish in the photo BUT the state record fish was caught last year by a gentleman in a boat. I remember reading the story and he had the line wrapped up in his prop and it caused quite a battle for the angler.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipHols View Post
That's a fantastic fish in the photo BUT the state record fish was caught last year by a gentleman in a boat. I remember reading the story and he had the line wrapped up in his prop and it caused quite a battle for the angler.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:14 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

"This is a remarkable new record catch," said Commissioner Martens. "I congratulate Mr. Lester on his success and determination in catching the largest recorded inland Striped Bass in New York and encourage others to take advantage of the many outstanding fishing opportunities New York has to offer."
Angler Eric Lester knew he had a big fish on when a comedy of errors ensued as he fished alone on Newburgh Bay on May 14, 2014. As the fish fought, the reel came off his rod; he managed a quick fix only to find the line tangled around his prop. Despite these difficulties, he was able to successfully land the fish. Mr. Lester, while astounded at the size of the fish, managed to get her on board. DEC biologists estimated the fish to be at least 20 years old.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/97066.html
Old 03-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Official Member

I guess I stand corrected. But I got that pic and the fact it was caught from shore by Newburg from somewhere. Here I think. Anybody recognize it?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Striper Hunter

That fish was 50 lbs and cought in kingston aria.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
Its definitely not Mission Impossible but not as good as with a boat. Places to try include the Troy dam, both sides; the little pocket park in Watervliet; all along the Corning Preserve Trail from Menands down to Albany; off the wall by the Bruno building in Troy and along the shore south of there; in the City of Rensselaer at the boat launch and the dock underneath the Dunn Memorial Bridge; along the shore at the Papascanee Nature Preserve; Henry Hudson Park in Bethlehem; Schodack Island Park in Castleton; Coeymans, Coxsackie and Catskill all have parks on the River. Many other spots available if you are willing to explore. Google earth the shoreline
Stripers usually arrive in the middle of April in small numbers, and can be caught through the end of May. First two weeks in May are probably best.
Getting herring is going to be your biggest challenge. Get Sabiki's and one ounce weights, cast them out as far as you can and jig back in. Or consider getting a scap net or building one yourself. Videos on youtube show how its done. Various lures also can work, especially at the dam on the Green Island side, but it can get pretty crowded there. Lastly, I have never seen a report on here about someone catching one from their couch. For what its worth, the new state inland record was caught from shore last year by Newburg. Here is a pic.
That's not the record......it was caught at the Newburgh Beacon Bridge from a boat......I think it was 61 lbs......last mid May.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Official Member

What kind of bait are they going for in that mid May time?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslap View Post
Whole live Herring ...
Old 03-03-2015, 03:32 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
I guess I stand corrected. But I got that pic and the fact it was caught from shore by Newburg from somewhere. Here I think. Anybody recognize it?
That fish came from Columbiaville area north of hudson
Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 AM
Senior Member Elite

It was leading at the River Basin for a while i think?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Striper Hunter

I read on river basin that they are not having the river basin contest any more
Old 03-03-2015, 11:00 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslap View Post
Cut dead herring, live whole herring.... But essentially...Herring.