2014 Merrimack River Fishing Reports - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Striper Envy

Default Re: 2014 Merrimack River Fishing Reports

1st trip for me this year was Sat. Launched from Cashmans. Breaking rocks was very spotty for macks. Caught 5 and a few pollack for live lining. Lost either a slob striper or a small shark outside the mouth. All I saw was a big white flash as it took off with my mackerel. Either a nick in the leader or a tooth cut me off. Chunked the last 3 of the outgoing in the river. 9 fish, no keepers. Very slow.

Anyone wish to share other mackerel spots? PM me. BR has sucked the last 3-4 times out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Got into mackerel pretty easily today. Went straight out of the mouth, a mile, maybe two, in about 90 feet of water.

Couldn't get a single striper bite, though. I saw some other boats catching a few very small schoolies, but never saw anyone with a keeper size fished.

On the way in, we did mark a number of fish right on the bottom in the river. Had it been earlier, I might have made a play for those.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Striper Hunter

Finally got on the scoreboard today. Nothing going on at the mouth, but there were a lot of fish in the river just past the no wake zone holding on the bottom. There was a lot of baitfish in the water. Tons of sand eels out by the mouth, and what looked like something else in the river - but I didn't get a good look at them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Striper Hunter

Let me start off by saying it was a SLOW weekend for this guy.

I went out both Saturday and Sunday. Only landed a single keeper sized fish. Saturday we got into the mackerel thick. Had a friend who landed an entire coolers worth of Macks, he estimated to be over 100. We worked macks at his location after he kindly shared the intel with us. The spot was not too far from the mouth and no one was there but us.
We saved a dozen macks to freeze and kept about another 10 to fish as live bait.

We zipped over to just outside the mouth and instantly landed a 31" keeper with a live lined mack, weightless not too long after the dead low. We continued to fish with live macks and got no additional bites. Did not see any other boats landing fish, if we did they were schoolies. We called it a day.

Went back Sunday, zipped on over to the same spot to get some macks. They were tougher to come by than the day before but we got them and left. We live lined the macks and got 0 hits. Again, we saw very few people landing fish except schoolies. We called it a day.

Talked to a coworker this morning who fished up river on saturday and he caught nothing as well.

Where were the big guys from the weekend before during the full moon? I know the full moon def helps things out, but to go from that to nothing was quite hard on the fishing spirit. O well, it was a beautiful weekend.

Did everyone else have a similar weekend? Roccus, how has the nite bite been for you?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Striper Hunter

I also have been wondering if the night-time bite on the flats has been producing. I was thinking of heading out for Friday night but I have a 3 1/2 hour drive to get there thus I would appreciate if anyone could chime in with an update. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Striper Hunter

Hi Luxor,

I have not been able to night fish much this year so far. I did go out once at night 3 weekends ago and we landed a single striper trolling eels on the flats. That is all the intel I have. Roccus would be the man to ask.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

it aint been too sporty..lots of 6-10lb...plenty of "keepers" which IMHO is ridiculous to even mention...they are still schoolies.. an occasional 15-18 lb fish seems to show up but after that it's all about @%^& luck running into something... I took a vacation to the mountains last week to get away from little fish ( small keepers)... slowest year for quality good fish since the mid 90's
Old 06-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the update Roccus! I think I might still give it a shot. I haven't been for the last two years to Joppa or the run on the Hudson river which is only 40 minutes away. I have been killing the trout on the Deerfield river here in western Mass. this spring though.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:38 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

top fish last night was 27lbs...wind and anchored boats ( especially when the relocate in your "run" when they hear you hook up) made fishing tough...lots of small fish.. and I see the chunk crew is killing lots of babies... evidence of the many dead and floating shorts in the bay...

if your going to chunk for these small bass PLEASE....PLEASE...PLEASE USE A circle hook...
Old 06-30-2014, 06:21 AM
Striper Hunter

Me and my buddy made the three hour trip to the flats. Only action was an hour before high tide with multiple runs and drops and two landed schoolies. Oh well, maybe better luck next time. Roccus, how productive can the flats be throughout the season. Would it be worth trying again say in August or September?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:24 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxor View Post
Me and my buddy made the three hour trip to the flats. Only action was an hour before high tide with multiple runs and drops and two landed schoolies. Oh well, maybe better luck next time. Roccus, how productive can the flats be throughout the season. Would it be worth trying again say in August or September?
there are many variables.... some years they are there all summer... last Thursday before I went to Maine I fished the top of the tide "in the river"... I landed 9 fish between 20 and 33lbs.. as well as a host of little guy's all on live eels...so there are some decent fish around.. just not as many as there should be..
Old 07-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for replying Roccus, I'll give it another shot or two before the season is over.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM
First Mate

I gotta admit I haven't been striper fishing gear much in the Merrimac this year....mostly because I'm a weekend guy and I get sick of the crowds.... and my current boat is not flats friendly. So I usually head off shore.
Fished block island a few weeks ago and I did better than I ever have in the merrimac....makes you think....
Old 07-10-2014, 11:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
I gotta admit I haven't been striper fishing gear much in the Merrimac this year....mostly because I'm a weekend guy and I get sick of the crowds.... and my current boat is not flats friendly. So I usually head off shore.
Fished block island a few weeks ago and I did better than I ever have in the merrimac....makes you think....
The farther south you are....the more fish there are..it's always been that way... when fish stocks start to decline... the northern fringes and surf rats feel it first...I tell all my friends from the cape that we get to fish for all the smart fish.. they have already caught the dumb ones!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:49 PM
First Mate

Roc....funny thing was when we fished block the smallest fish we caught was just over 25lbs...wasn't just us we could hear screaming reels in the distance. Weird there were no little fish around just big mommas... never seen anything like it.