Albany or Kingston Area - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Official Member

Default Albany or Kingston Area

Hey guys, I have a buddy coming in from out of state, and I want to try and get him his first striper. I've had luck this year in the Albany area, but have seen in previous years that the Kingston area seems to produce better numbers for folks who fish down there. We will be going out tomorrow - based on the migration, where do you think the best bet to catch the striper are? Albany, Kingston, or someplace else. Don't want to go much further south, but if you think they are between the 2, that would be helpful too. Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Albany or Kingston Area

I've been doing well in the Albany area the 3 times out in the past week. Live herring working well, as is the front half of fresh chunk...for me,anyways. Good Luck out there!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Senior Member Elite

I'd head down to Newburgh..........you'll definitely land several down there. Not as big as up in Kingston or Albany but I'll take a dozen 10-20 lbers all day as opposed to one or two 30 lbers. Its hit or miss up north but awesome down south...guaranteed fish. I make the drive from Albany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Official Member

W hat about Catskill, I wonder if its just as good, any reports
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Official Member

I grew up down near Kingston, not that I fished for stripers at the time. Live near Albany now. still have family in Kingston so I fish there occasionally but have never gotten one down there. not that I get that many in Albany but since its my home waters I prefer it. river is smaller, know the lay of the land (the bottom), etc. so my suggestion is go with what you know. Bonus: bringing a novice is the best strategic move of all. the fishing gods favor novices. all 6 I got this year were with novices on board.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
I grew up down near Kingston, not that I fished for stripers at the time. Live near Albany now. still have family in Kingston so I fish there occasionally but have never gotten one down there. not that I get that many in Albany but since its my home waters I prefer it. river is smaller, know the lay of the land (the bottom), etc. so my suggestion is go with what you know. Bonus: bringing a novice is the best strategic move of all. the fishing gods favor novices. all 6 I got this year were with novices on board.
you may be onto something there. my gf landed 4 so far this year. her first time fishing stripers. dad landed a 34" now i need to get my boy one.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
Bonus: bringing a novice is the best strategic move of all.
Isn't that the truth! I caught the record when there was a person on the boat who had never been to the Hudson striper fishing before. We had a few productive striper trips with him on that boat, and then he moved to South Dakota and fishing has been a bit slower ever since! Then again, I only get to fish the Hudson a couple of weekend days per season now...so I usually hit the "off" day (a further bonus tip would be to avoid fishing the Kingston area this Saturday).