Tackle help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Tackle help

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole striper scene but I've been fishing my whole life.
Mostly bottom fish like fluke, black fish, porgies, seabass, cod, and only been tuna fishing once.

I mostly fish out of Montauk, NY and as most of you know the striper fishing there is phenomenal! Well as I'm told at least. The capt. of the party boat I usually take out is always telling me to come out for some striper fishing as it is a new experience and that they give a great fight( I'm always looking for a good fight).

Basically I have a 7' Seeker Black Steel conventional 6470 for Cod fishing. It's basically a bait and jig rod. And a Trinidad 16 loaded with 65lb braid.

I was wondering is that sufficient for fishing for these beauties?

I hear they drag around 16 ounces to hold bottom wow!
I'm going to be looking to catch the next full moon tide, and go out.
I would love to hear some feed backs on what you guys prefer for tackle options.

If I were to use a circle hook what size would be the best option? I'm liking how these new owner mutu circle hooks are looking and performing.

Let me know what you guys think cause I'm just completely new to this world of fishing.

Thanks for you time guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Tackle help

Welcome to the forum. Are you going to be surfcasting in Montauk, or fishing from a boat?

On the hooks, 7/0 or 8/0 is usually a good size circle hook for bass.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Striper Hunter

I'm going to be fishing from a boat drifting eels.

I've actually never fished from the surf, except this one time I went camping on Shelter Island and I happened to have one of my large mouth bass rods, and found some small hermits and clams.
Figured out there were some porgies there after the first cast and had a feast that night.

Was pretty fun but, you don't get the same fight as you would pulling them up from the deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM

In that case, I'd recommend a quality 5/0 J hook. I prefer not to use circle hooks with eels, but some do.

Your rod/reel combos should be fine for boat fishing.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Striper Hunter

deff a j hook although i would go down to mabe 40 suffix slick for your line and make sure your either up in bow or by the stern once june come the fishing should be good if you have time and are able to i would go over to atlantic highlands new jersey hop on an open six pack and do alil live line bunker fishing thats my favorite way to do it
Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Striper Hunter

Is there a specific reason for fishing the bow or the stern? I mean I try to stick to the bow at all times when I'm fishing but that's just because I feel like it's some sort of a placebo for me where I feel like I'm catching more fish and I can look down the whole boat to see what's going on see if anyone else is catching. Damn I just wanna get back on the water right now, been stuck inside for so long I feel like rust is taking over.
Also these open six packs sound interesting, I should definitely try those out.

Would the same tackle be sufficient for live-lining for the bass?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Striper Hunter

i primarily fish the stern if im going to be on a party boat in montauk due to the fact that there are less tangles that way if you plan on fishing in montauk during the summer theres going to be alot of tourists so save your self the agitation you can fish the bow to and achieve the same results i fish these places on the boat because you are drifting if you dont feel like using braid you can use mono aswell mono is quietr as it drifts thru the water keep in mind that the large disel engines on the party boats creat alot of noise under water and that can scare off the fish aswel when live linning bunker i use a 8/o circle hook and hook the bunker right thru the nostrils make sure when live lining your leader is no more than 40lb flouro also dont be afraid to use light tackle i mainly use a united cmposite 701 rod for my bass fishing ive had no problems with it
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Striper Hunter

also keep one of those a67 jigs on hand if your going to be on a party boat there my absolutly favorite i stay away from any jig with a tail for bass