Help with livebait - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Official Member

Question Help with livebait

I freshwater fish stripers. I catch Blueback Herring and what is left over I bring back home to use another day. The problem is they stay in my livewell 12 hrs. then get transported home in a cooler and I put them in my 110 buried galvanized stock tank and within 2 hours [less most of the time] they die. I had a 800 gph tusanmi pump with water running thru filters and charcoal to a top spraybar. Was told no bottom aeration so I bought a pondair pump with two airstones for the bottom and they die. Was told maybe the galvanized take was giving off something toxic so I lined it with tarp same thing they die. Purchased a 500 gph Keep alive oxygen infuser and put it on the bottom which gives off thousands of tiny bubbles and same thing they die. The water is the same as the bait tank and temp the same as was in the bait tank and cooler. I have tested the ammonia levels ph hardness nitrates etc and all are fine. I am at wits end and have no clue what to try next. I know plenty of people keep these fish alive for days and weeks in these tanks so I do not understand why I can not. I do not want to keep spending money to get the same result. I have two bait tank builder helping me with this problem but they are out of reasons as well. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Help with livebait

Maybe it's the ride home in the cooler that's doing them in. Sometimes, when baitfish get stressed, they're just going to die and there's nothing you can do about it. Can you try bringing them home in your boat livewell? If they survive, then you've found the problem. If the results are the same, then it's most likely something with your stock tank.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Official Member

Thanks I leave my boat at the water so can not bring them on in my livewell but getting another livewell may try that. They are lively in the cooler when I get home but like you said could be already stressed. Will try the new livewell when I get it. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Official Member

Guess must be the tank as I brought them home in a bait tank and they died within 2 hours. Cannot figure it out though since I lined the tank before with a tarp and they still died. Do not know what to try next
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

try lining the cooler with a clear plastic bag... then fill with water.. when you get them home leave them in the water in the bag if still lively and tie the bag shut and drop in the tank... poke holes in the bag and allow them to acclimate to the temperature and allowing some to the tank water to slowly enter the bag... within a half hour allow them to slowly release into the tank on their own from the bag... it's all i got but i am thinking either temperature or a shock to the system that just doesn't allow them to recover..