Need help fishing live eels in LI Sound - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Official Member

Default Need help fishing live eels in LI Sound

I have been fishing for a long time, mostly on the North Shore of Boston, from the shore. I primarily used artificials and chunk bait. I recently purchased a boat and have been going out in The Sound. I am drifting live eels and casting out some artificials while I wait. I can only get out during the day.

My question I guess is in regards to rigging the eel. I have a 3 way with 18" - 50# mono attached to a 6/0 J hook. on the other side I have a 12" leader attached to a weight, size dependent on the current to get all this to the bottom. I have tried this on two trips so far and have yet to catch anything.

I hook the eel through the mouth and out the eye. I have had fish hit my eel 5 times and haven't landed one. I have had my eel stolen once and 4 times have ended up with 1/2 an eel or just a head. Is there a rig to get the fish to swallow the eel the way I want him to?

Thanks for the help! And GREAT FORUM........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Need help fishing live eels in LI Sound

My setup when in water deeper then 15 feet is a three way connected to my main line of 40lb braid. I then use a 3 foot long 40lb leader of fluro (which is even more important during the day) then a 6 inch or so mono leader of a lighter pound test then either your main or leader. I use 20lb test mono so when you snag bottom you'll just lose your weight. Otherwise I don't use weights and do much better without them as at night they tend to go a bit more shallow and they love eels. I've also used an in-line weight (like tube and worming) and a 3 ft leader. I hook them the same way you are and when you get a hit it's a good idea to let them take it for a second or two so I likr to hold the rod or at least have the bait runner on. Blues will take many of your eels in the day though so you might be better off tubing it for cost purposes but you can and will catch during the day on eels.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Need help fishing live eels in LI Sound

Ps. I heard a good tip from an old guy. When the blue fish are out and there are striper at the bottom he told me to put the eel in a paper bag and by the time it gets to the bottom the bag will have dissolved, lol