Some pics from this year. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Official Member

Default Some pics from this year.

Haven't been by this forum much this year. Thought I would throw some pics up of some hybrids from this year. I've had my best year yet on them and have been learning a lot about where they like to hang out on my local lake. They are a very enigmatic fish. It must come from their mixed heritage. Anyway,

Started the year out with a bang back in March. 12.1#s

Caught it on an ultra lite with 8# test while white bass fishing.

I mounted it myself. Bad cell pic, but I thought it turned out well.

Caught them well in April and May but couldn't find anymore big fish. Mostly in the 3-5# range, but then June came and POW!

Best. night. ever. I had (2) 10# fish, and 11.5# fish, a 12.5# fish and a 15# fish in one hour. I had to quit because I couldn't reel anymore of them in. They were eating my bait as quick as I could get it in the water.

Here's the 12.5# next to my 65# lab.

Here is a bad pic of the 15# fish. It was just a beast. All of these big fish were released. Just couldn't bring myself to kill them. Too much respect for them.

Here's an 11# from the next night.

Here's a triple on 6-8#'ers. What a rodeo!

Mom and Dad got in on the action.

Went out on my B-day July 6. Absoulutely hammered them. Probably caught somewhere around 30 with a 5-8# average. This was my biggest. It was 9.5#.

Anyway, It's been a great year. I needed one after last year. I think I may have caught 20-30 fish all of last year. I don't even know how many I've caught this year. Finding, catching, Keeping, and rigging big gizzard shad has been key for me. The funny thing is, I'm fishing a lot of the same water(some different) that I have all my life, I just catch 10x the amount of fish out them with a properly rigged, lively, gizzard shad-but that's easier said than done. That's where you pay your dues when you are live bait fishing.

I hope everyone is getting their hooks straightened, their drag melted, their line broke and their adrenaline pumped by these fish on a regular basis. Oh yeah, and hopefully you get one in the boat every once in awhile. Good fishing to you all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Some pics from this year.

Great post Chris! Glad to hear you're having a banner season so far
Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Striper Hunter

Great Picks. I was wondering about what you learned on your local lake and if you could share. I posted a thread about Small Lake Wiper Strategy hoping to get a discussion going. I would love to know how big your lake is, whether there is generally current running through it, what type of structure, times of day, etc. I normally fish with live shad (only way to go imho) but I have been fishing two very small lakes close to the house out of a kayak. These are frustrating fish and hoping we can level the playing field a little more. Thanks, Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipercrazy View Post
Great Picks. I was wondering about what you learned on your local lake and if you could share. I posted a thread about Small Lake Wiper Strategy hoping to get a discussion going. I would love to know how big your lake is, whether there is generally current running through it, what type of structure, times of day, etc. I normally fish with live shad (only way to go imho) but I have been fishing two very small lakes close to the house out of a kayak. These are frustrating fish and hoping we can level the playing field a little more. Thanks, Lee.
Hey WC,

I think one of the fundametal things about these fish that I've had to wrap my mind around is that they don't all behave the same. I think this is due to their mixed genetics. When I first started becoming obsessed with Hybrids, I read everything I could find on the Biology of them. What you'll find is a lot of studies showing how tolerant they are of poor water quality in the sense that they can handle low DO levels and high water temps. What you won't find, and what I believe, is that although they may not need the same enviroment as a striper, they may prefer it. This also applies to the traits they get from the White Bass. Not only do they exhibit preferences for enviroment, but they also feed and travel in sometimes a very contradictory manner. Hybrids in the lower 1/3 of the lake behave more like stripers. Roaming great distances, suspending over deep water adjacent to bait. Hybrids in the tributaries behave more like white bass, making great runs up the rivers and then falling back to become localized in the deeper holes as the water falls back out from the spring rains. Even when and how they feed-sometimes they behave like white bass, sometimes they behave like stripers.

So, that being said, the lake I fish is very large, but the water I fish on it is very small. People catch hybrids all over my local lake, but I personally have my best luck on them up the tributaries out of the lake. Why? Well, here's my take. There is usually current up the tributaries in all but the hottest summer months. Even then there will be some current if you travel far enough up out of the lake. These fish love current if they can find it. It even turns them on down lake when the dam releases water.
Most generally with light current I find them adjacent to the moving water but not directly in it. Think inside bend gravel bars, cut banks on outside bends and tailouts on the riffles-any type of gravel bar perpendicular to the current is also a great holding/ambush spot for them. In light current, I usually have better luck ballooning live shad. In heavier current I fish on the bottom concentrating on current breaks or seams adjacent to swifter water. There will always be a big deep slow pool or hole within easy reach of them too. Long story short - These fish like current of some type.

This water up the tributaries is also smaller. I like that because I don't have to eliminate as much water. Once i get a little feel for where they are relating to structure, it's fairly easy to move up the river looking for the same type of scenario and searching for more fish.

These fish can be very sharp eyed and finicky which is more like a striper, but they can also school and crash baits with reckless abandon which seems more like white bass to me. The reason I say that is because I have tried fishing agressively "running and gunning" with artificials and caught some fish. I have also tried tieing up and waiting on them for hours. I caught even less like that. My best approach is to spend about 15-30 minutes in each likely looking spot and then move on to the next one. Sometimes they will eat it as soon as you throw your first rod out, but other days they like to herd the shad around for 5 to 10 minutes before they finally decide to committ. It took a day of me really getting on a good school of fish in some extremely clear water for me to put two and two together on this, but now in murky water I can tell when there are some hybrids harassing my bait just by watching how the shad is swimming. Long story short - Don't spend all day on a spot if you aren't catching them, but give it long enough so that fish in the hole can get excited and commit to eating your shad if they aren't in attack mode when you get there. I really like the ballooned live shad for this because you can let the shad drift and swim all over the area to make sure that any stray schools of fish get a look at it.

Times of day? definitely for me it's the last 2 hrs before dark and the 1st hour of light in the morning, but that's not definitive. I've caught them all day long a few times and caught them at straight up noon a few times, but the first and last few hours of light are definitley the best. I'll say this too, I've caught more deep, looking down towards the bottom in the mid day, but early and late they like to look up at the surface for meals. There's been a few times that I will have a rod on the bottom for 30-40 minutes with no action and as soon as i throw a ballooned shad out, right next to it, I catch one. Long story short - they like to look up and down to feed at different times so try both.

Trust me, I could talk Hybrid striped bass theory all day long. I've been obsessed with them for about 4 years now and for a few of those years all I had was a theory. It's very hard to find information on angling specifically for Hybrids. Luckily I've finally been able to prove a little bit of it to myself by catching some or I might have gone crazy.

I'll quit for now. Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Striper Hunter

GREAT INFO!!!! Thanks for the response. I, like you, have gone crazy over wipers. I am from North Carolina and love offshore fishing. Now I live in Kansas City and the wiper is the closest thing I can find to a hard fighting fish like you find in saltwater. We fish in early spring below Truman Dam with live shad. Usually when the water temperature hits the 55-57 range is when they will school below the dam and basically hit on every cast. Thirty fish in two hours is not unusual for one guy. Five of us fished this spring and in two hours caught over 100.

We then generally move to the main lake and fish humps and ledges/drop offs like you discussed. I found your comment regarding the fact that your experience tells you wipers will feed down. ALmost everything I have read suggests that they generally don't, but experience trumps what you read every time!

I have been fishing out of a kayak for the exercise and ease/low cost in several small lakes within 10 minutes of my house. Cannot really fish with shad, so I have been trolling crank baits at various depths. 14 feet has traditionally been the best (bottom is 22-50). There is no current in these lakes. The last month has been frustrating. No fish at all. We are not even seeing schools surface first light or at dusk. Granted, there have not been many overcast days. I have tried varying the depths and pulling three-way rigs with a crank bait at the bottom and a hand tied skirted jig head with a sassy shad or some other soft plastic. I have had some success with that approach.

By far, live shad is the ticket. I have talked to guides that have told me that during the hot summer months they have better success at times pulling crank baits and getting the fish to strike. I have not seen that to be the case on the small lakes.

Your comment about fishing at depth with shad and then getting bit with a surface balloon rigged bait has been our experience as well. However, we generally just rig them on a naked hook, but I have been experimenting with floats. The floats do give you a better idea where your bait is most of the time.

I am going to hit some of the smaller lakes in a big boat with shad in the next few weeks and will report what I experience. If you want to e-mail me my email is [email protected].

I assume from your post that you are generally marking fish and trying to put bait down to them. On these smaller lakes you don't generally mark big schools, they seem to roam and forage in the open lake.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Striper Hunter

I think the key to the big hybrids you are catching is water quality. I've fished my local lake for 15 yrs and have never caught one over 6 lb.

I think that there are times when a lure will do better than live shad. When the hybrids are in a neutral or negative mode, live bait will get ignored, but put a Flitterbait in front of them and they turn on. It's not always a hard hit but more like a bluegill hit. Set the hook immediately because they are quick to spit it out.

Way to go on those big hybrids. Keep us updated on your success.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Official Member

Great reading !!! Here in the Deep South we catch Hybrids in the tailrace on cloudy cold days when the dam is discharging. Silver and Chartruese are the best colors for lures. We use mostly spoons casting around sand bars.
15 lbs is deffinately a good fish....