Salisbury beach fishing??? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Salisbury beach fishing???

I am 14 and bout to start my first real season of surfcasting. i was wondering if anyone has some tips for fishing salisbury beach im a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Salisbury beach fishing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumreel View Post
I was wondering if anyone has some tips for fishing salisbury beach
No matter which direction the wind is blowing, never piss directly into it. Bwuahhh ha ha ha, ok sorry, poor attempt at humor. I don't know the area, what the primary baitfish are in said area, the surroundings, landscape or any of that, so I will pass along a few "general rules" that will assist you in the hunt once you do get out there. The season is still 2+ months away, usually early to mid May before you start seeing fish in any sort of numbers, so now is the time to get out to the beach and see what you can see. Head down at low tide, even if it's only once or twice a week, and just walk the shoreline. Make mental notes (or jot them down) of ANY differences you see when the water is low, no matter how big/small you may think they are as they could be the difference between catching/not catching a fish. Rock pilings or ANY sort of underwater structure that's not visible at high tide but able to be seen at low tide, is a perfect spot for bass to lie in wait and ambush unsuspecting prey. Look for cuts/sloughs as these can act as channels for bait to funnel in and out of as the tide rises/drops. Points on the beach that stick out further than the rest of the landscape around you are also spots you wanna be fishing at two hours before to two hours after high tide. The most important thing though when starting out is to keep it simple, gear,times,tides etc. develop a pattern of fishing and keep a log you can look back at later and make reference to to see what conditions produced the best results in your area. Good luck man, more to come. . . . . . . .unfortunately that 5 o'clock whistle is a blowing!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
No matter which direction the wind is blowing, never piss directly into it. Bwuahhh ha ha ha, ok sorry, poor attempt at humor. I don't know the area, what the primary baitfish are in said area, the surroundings, landscape or any of that, so I will pass along a few "general rules" that will assist you in the hunt once you do get out there. The season is still 2+ months away, usually early to mid May before you start seeing fish in any sort of numbers, so now is the time to get out to the beach and see what you can see. Head down at low tide, even if it's only once or twice a week, and just walk the shoreline. Make mental notes (or jot them down) of ANY differences you see when the water is low, no matter how big/small you may think they are as they could be the difference between catching/not catching a fish. Rock pilings or ANY sort of underwater structure that's not visible at high tide but able to be seen at low tide, is a perfect spot for bass to lie in wait and ambush unsuspecting prey. Look for cuts/sloughs as these can act as channels for bait to funnel in and out of as the tide rises/drops. Points on the beach that stick out further than the rest of the landscape around you are also spots you wanna be fishing at two hours before to two hours after high tide. The most important thing though when starting out is to keep it simple, gear,times,tides etc. develop a pattern of fishing and keep a log you can look back at later and make reference to to see what conditions produced the best results in your area. Good luck man, more to come. . . . . . . .unfortunately that 5 o'clock whistle is a blowing!!!
thanks. good stuff here. cant wait for the run of stripers in the merrimack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

as far as fishing the beach goes, You are going to want to spend your time at the south end, on the start of the incoming tide along the base of the jetty, often times bass trap bait along the cove between the cut in the jetty that runs into the river and the main beach....the currnet runs strong here and the fish are right up against the rocks...

your best bet is to move inside the river, fish the rock piles ( Badger rocks) and the area known as the tooth pick which is the entrance to black water creek, fish eels or swimming plugs by night, jigs or cut bait ( mackerel or herring) as well as worms on the bottom...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
as far as fishing the beach goes, You are going to want to spend your time at the south end, on the start of the incoming tide along the base of the jetty, often times bass trap bait along the cove between the cut in the jetty that runs into the river and the main beach....the currnet runs strong here and the fish are right up against the rocks...

your best bet is to move inside the river, fish the rock piles ( Badger rocks) and the area known as the tooth pick which is the entrance to black water creek, fish eels or swimming plugs by night, jigs or cut bait ( mackerel or herring) as well as worms on the bottom...
ive never heard about this stuff. where are these rocks.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post

as always listen to roc...he know that area better then anyone. i will also 2nd badger rocks. If i was shore fishing that where i would be. Often if i'm being lazy or looking for a spot to relax i will anchor there. I find it best on a outgoing tide.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Screamin drag makes me horny

Roccus has good info! but don't go out on that jetty I got a ticket last year for fishing out there and it turned into a large fiasco. I was catchin good fish though.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl81969 View Post
Roccus has good info! but don't go out on that jetty I got a ticket last year for fishing out there and it turned into a large fiasco. I was catchin good fish though.
if fished on the part of the jetty that is all sand behind. but didnt get a fish.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Striper Hunter

You can't go wrong with fishing worms on the bottom in the river. You might not always catch big fish but you will usually avoid the skunk with a dozen worms in your arsenal.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Striper Hunter

really. i have had lots of friends who either get skunked on clams or catch a flounder or two. but when i try to use sea worms theer come off or they sit there all day. maybe ill kep trying with sand worms
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumreel View Post
really. i have had lots of friends who either get skunked on clams or catch a flounder or two. but when i try to use sea worms theer come off or they sit there all day. maybe ill kep trying with sand worms
Not sure how effective this will be for fishing a river, but I use 2 sandworms at a time on the beach with a float and slay 'em all summer here in OOB. Take 2' of fluorocarbon leader material and tie an 7/0 circle hook directly on the end of it. Get yourself a medium-sized ball float/cigar float or whatever you prefer and pull the top plastic piece out, chuck the spring and slide the float onto your leader a few inches up from your hook. Re-insert the plastic piece you pulled out back into the top of the float, wedging it in so your float doesn't move on it's own but will still be able to slide up and down your line with some resistance. Take 2 sandworms, rig the first one right thru the head and slide it onto your hook until it covers most of the shank, pull thru and let the rest dangle. Take ur second sandworm and hook it in the back an inch or so down from the head (like you're hanging it on a hanger almost), slide it up until it comes out thru the head right between the pinchers. The key is to make sure that BOTH hooks go in/come out thru the head and you will not fling them on your cast. Trust me if worms are the bait of choice in your area this method will catch you fish. Not sure what the exact conditions of your area are, rocky/sandy bottom, strength of the current etc so you may have to alter the placement of your float or how much weight you use. . . . . . .give it a whirl and let me know how you make out. Someone acually drew up a diagram in another forum of this set up after I explained it to them, I'll see if I can dig it up
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Not sure how effective this will be for fishing a river, but I use 2 sandworms at a time on the beach with a float and slay 'em all summer here in OOB. Take 2' of fluorocarbon leader material and tie an 8/0 circle hook directly on the end of it. Get yourself a medium-sized ball float/cigar float or whatever you prefer and pull the top plastic piece out, chuck the spring and slide that onto your leader a few inches up from your hook. Re-insert the plastic piece you pulled out back into the top of the float, wedging it in so your float doesn't move on it's own but will still be able to slide up and down your line with some resistance. Take 2 sandworms, rig the first one right thru the head and slide it onto your hook until it covers most of the shank, pull thru and let the rest dangle. Take ur second sandworm and hook it in the back an inch or so down from the head (like you're hanging it on a hanger almost), slide it up until it comes out thru the ehad right between the pinchers. The key is to make sure that BOTH hooks go in/come out thru the head and you will not fling them on your cast. Trust me if worms are the bait of choice in your area this method will catch you fish. Not sure what the exact conditions of your area are, rocky/sandy bottom, strength of the current etc so you may have to alter the placement of your float or how much weight you use. . . . . . .give ity a whirl and let me know how you make out. Someone acually drew up a diagram in another forum of this set up after I explained it to them, I'll see if I can dig it up

I guess you have never fished the river.... the current would twist that into an impossible mess in about 3 seconds....

a rig like that is fine in calm, protected water... in a raging rip, or beach front waves, fishing floating corks on the bottom is a lesson in futility..

Back to the jetty... no need to fish on the jetty itself... the corner of the bar and cut is where you want to be... the tide must be moving and at the turn.. like most instances, timing plays an important role, as does wind direction and moon phase and time of day.... night or first light are best....If I had a dollar for every big bass I've taken from behind that jetty, I'd retire right now.....

the river...... the river runs very fast on north side of the river.... it is best fished with a drifted bait ( live eel retrieved slowly) or plugs or jigs... a mussel shoal runs parelell to the jetty all the way to the first rock pile, just beyond the mussle shoal, the water drops to 30'.... again. I've taken countless large bass ( and cut off twice as many as they dropped off the shoal into deep water)... at the base of the first small jetty( moving up river) there is a lone rock in the water, behind it ( on the dropping tide) bass lay in ambush... I've take 2 50lb fish behind that rock.. and countless 30-40 lb fish.... moving up river there are submerged pilings that skirt the rock piles, medium and small sized bass use these piling as a refuge as they ambush sand eels on the incoming... this area is rocky, interspersed with sand and rotted pilings, it is a tackle eater, but a fish haven...rounding the corner by the tooth pick, black water creek is deep at it's entrance, i've seen bass push bait right tight to the shore... they on occasion push right up past the state landing up into the creek... be there at the turn of the tide ( high, to outgoing) at day break with a spook or pencil popper and chances are good early in the year ( june trough mid july) for some spectacular top water action...
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Young salt

Ya live and learn I guess Roc, I'm not familiar with that river at all. Most of my fishing is done in the surf but I do fish an inlet @ Higgins beach that rips pretty good with the tide.......not a complete disaster but not exactly easy fishing either. I use a small (120 lb test) Spro barrel swivel and attach it to my large snap swivel coming off my main line which helps with line twisting, but it certainly doesn't prevent it. What about using the 2-worm method without the float but say a 5 or 6 oz pyramid sinker, either on a fish finder rig or with the weight directly to the swivel with a split ring?? Not sure if that would still be enough to hold bottom?? It makes sense though with a river, or any moving water, that tossing an eel out and letting it drift with the current then retrieving it slowly against the current could prove deadly.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Not sure how effective this will be for fishing a river, but I use 2 sandworms at a time on the beach with a float and slay 'em all summer here in OOB. Take 2' of fluorocarbon leader material and tie an 7/0 circle hook directly on the end of it. Get yourself a medium-sized ball float/cigar float or whatever you prefer and pull the top plastic piece out, chuck the spring and slide the float onto your leader a few inches up from your hook. Re-insert the plastic piece you pulled out back into the top of the float, wedging it in so your float doesn't move on it's own but will still be able to slide up and down your line with some resistance. Take 2 sandworms, rig the first one right thru the head and slide it onto your hook until it covers most of the shank, pull thru and let the rest dangle. Take ur second sandworm and hook it in the back an inch or so down from the head (like you're hanging it on a hanger almost), slide it up until it comes out thru the head right between the pinchers. The key is to make sure that BOTH hooks go in/come out thru the head and you will not fling them on your cast. Trust me if worms are the bait of choice in your area this method will catch you fish. Not sure what the exact conditions of your area are, rocky/sandy bottom, strength of the current etc so you may have to alter the placement of your float or how much weight you use. . . . . . .give it a whirl and let me know how you make out. Someone acually drew up a diagram in another forum of this set up after I explained it to them, I'll see if I can dig it up
k thanx. how do u cast the bobber far. the river is hge. im pretty sure there is all sand and a sand bar. i cant reach the sand bar with my cast though :(
Old 03-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Young salt

Whether or not you're able to use a float, you wanna rig up a fish finder rig. For the leader I use 24" of fluorocarbon material. On one end tie on a 7/0 circle hook direct and at the other end tie on a small Spro barrel swivel (don't be fooled they are small but strong and serve their purpose, I use the ones rated 120 lb) using a Palomar knot. From your main line you want to slide a large snap swivel onto your line and then tie a large snap swivel on the end of your line. The leader attachs to your main line via the snap swivel tied on. The other snap swivel should be able to freely slide up and down your main line, just open the snap and attach the appropriate weight. The purpose of this is when your bait is grabbed by a fish and said fish swims away with your offering it will not feel the added resistance from your weight. These fish aren't dumb, if they see a small piece of clam or a couple worms, engulf them and feel 3, 4, 5 extra ounces of weight they will often spit out your offering leaving you to wonder what the hell happened. Ok I'm really gonna go try to find that diagram now, I will repost it for ya when I do.