Horseneck Beach/Gooseberry Island area - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-02-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Horseneck Beach/Gooseberry Island area

Hey guys,
Just moved to MA from Kansas City, MO last fall and am delving into striper fishing for the first time this spring. I've really enjoyed the site and have read most of the posts already. Thanks so much for all the insite and education! I've been throwing out chuncks on a fishfinder rig around the Horseneck Beach/Gooseberry Island area as well as West Island for the last few weeks and haven't had any luck yet, except for a few small schoolies and lots of seaweed. Water temps here are just getting above 50 deg. so I'm hoping it will pick up soon. Is there anyone on the site that has fished this area much and could point out some good spots to me? No boat yet, so I'm shorebound for now. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 10:45 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Welcome to the sight baitrunner,I haent fished goosberry since the '70's but that was a hot spot in the fall back then....enjoy the sight...

Rock
Old 05-03-2005, 12:35 AM

I smell another addict in the oven fellas :D Welcome aboard baitrunner, can't wait to see how the season develops for you. The only thing better than savouring familiar waters is discovering new ones. Hope you find the mother lode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Nice Area

The Westport River is a hot spot for big bass and using ells off the small island there at the end. I know of a few people who have caught some large stripers in the surf at the end of the beach towards the campground.
I personally don't think there is a bad spot down there since I hear of so much activity in and around that area.

I know on a boat just out a ways on the islands you can see from shore produces also. I would say at the mouth of the Westport River on a outgoing tide with chunked herring or ells.

Briggs from this boat is fishing across from you and kills them on calm bellies, which may also work for you.

Good luck and welcome to the board, hope to hear of some good success from down that neck of the woods.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Thanks!

Hey guys,
Thanks for your input. I'll have to see if I can find a good spot at the mouth of the Westport River this weekend and see if I can come up with anything. Bait shops around here say that they are a couple weeks away from having eels. Are eels indigineous to these parts, and can they be caught instead of buying them at a bait shop? I've heard that live pogies (sp?) work pretty well up here, too. What do you think? Bear with me, I'm new to the saltwater scene. :D
Old 05-03-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Clam Bellies

I wouldn't know a clam belly if it slapped me in the face. Bait shops have em I guess??
Old 05-03-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Yes, you can get them I think over at Buckos

You can get them over in Fall River at Buckos, I know Lucky Bait in Warren Rhode Island has them and two local companies in the area who shuck sea clams. They are usally sold in buckets with lids but as I'm sure Briggs will tell you they can be deadly on bass in this area.

I just heard tonight of a few med.size bass being taken over by the old Coke plant in Fall River. Charlie Soares also spoke of big bass being taken in the spring by boat near the Braga Bridge Pylons. I use to fish for mercury bass over at the power plant on Brayton Point, now there use to be some big bass there and at the time fishing there was by permit only.
Also check out Stone Bridge area in Tiverton
Old 05-03-2005, 10:51 PM

Welcome to the site Baitrunner... :D

...Eels are a native species, but they won't be around until the water warms up...I think I heard somewhere that they all congregate in the middle of the ocean at one spot to spawn, which is kinda cool when you think about it... :D
Old 05-04-2005, 12:31 AM

Yea they spawn in the saragasso sea. BB. Then they return to the rivers to live. They call that catadramous as oppossed to anadromous like the salmon, shad and stripers. The females can be found in the eddies in the rivers.

Question. I bought a bag of little neck steamer clams at shopright for 6.99. Im lousy at cookin things so before they go bad I wonder if I can use em. They are probably too small to put on the hook but I wonder if they would be usefull as chum. Im gonna toss the whole bag in and find out. 8) Along with the big surf clams at the bait shop.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:50 AM

Last night I was looking at Google Maps, Terraserver, etc at the mouth of the Westport River. Looks like there's a nice point on the west bank, shallower river water to your left and deeper ocean water to the right. Now I just have to figure out how to get out there I think I'll explore a little after work today and try for some Friday night fishing.
I was reading someones post in another place about catching eels in a minnow trap. Sounds like that might be a good thing to try once the water warms up. How warm does the water have to be before eels show up here on the south coast of MA?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:58 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

EEls are present year long,in fact we spear them through tthe ice in some of the brackish water flats,I start trapping my bait eels this week.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:07 AM

Rocc do you just use minnow traps and chicken livers or horshoe crabs as bait or do you use those elver traps?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:01 AM

I wouldn't know a clam belly if it slapped me in the face. Bait shops have em I guess??

That statement made me laugh Bait......you really wouldn't want that to happen hahahaha.

Wecome to the site.....boy is there going to be a big difference in your fishing, moving from Kansas City to Mass.

Eels are definetly the bait of choice for alot of these guys on the site......and i agree with them. Clambellies however, are some of the smelliest, tastiest Bait for the Stripers up here. Its like candy. Between the migration and the water temps.....Stripers right now are looking for the softer baits. Their mouths, jaws and lips havent been eating any lobsters etc.... for awhile so there a little sensative i think. Where i go...i think the Stripers would rather bite my little peice of candy that i'm presenting, over chasing an Eel or a Herring. The smell and the oil of a Clambellie, makes its own "Chumline", which to me, draws any striper towards your hook. Also with Clambellies....you don't have to wait for the bite, you wait for the Pull when she's hooked herself, then you rip their lips off. I know that Horseneck has some great formations on the north end of the beach where it turns to rocks.....if your fishing there, you'll want to fish from the rocks and not the beach.....you can still reach the sandy formations from there but you can work your bait like a clock, from left to right, and not get hung up. Another good thing about Horseneck, is the wind direction. no matter what direction its blowing, you can fish downwind. either side of the road leading out to the point, will produce....thats all open ocean there........i love that !!!

All along that wall on the North end.....theres mussel beds. this is why i think that Clambellies, will produce for you.

Keep your eye to the sky though.....seems they changed the damn forecast for the weekend and now we have a NE storm coming thats holding alot of rain.

Any questions you might have...ask away my friend, thats why we're all here, to learn. And we all love answering questions.

Enjoy Baitrunner

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8) [/b]
Old 05-05-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Clam Bellies

Thanks so much for the input, Briggs. One more question about clam bellies. Say I go and buy a bucket of em at the bait shop, go out for the day (maybe, if the gods smile upon me, hook up a few times, been skunked 5 times in a row now) and have some left over at the end of the day. What do you do with your left overs? Can you freeze em and thaw them out later to use next time, or do you tend to only buy as much as you plan to use that day?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:21 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

For catching eels (they have to be 6" to keep but I like 'em at least a foot long, with a 50 fish limit) I use herring when the water is cold and clams( I go to the shucking house and get the shell sand necks) latter in the summer...
Fish bait(herrinmg or mackerel) work well all season but spoil too quickly,where as the clams will fish a couple of tides beffore they get rancid,even in their pudrid form the work well,horse shoe crabs are excellent bait,but rater scarce around here...
I have comercial eel traps that I run,they are like a small lobster trap,I maintain a bait dealers permit so I can retain more than 50 eels,some nights 50 wouldnt be enough!