Heads or tails? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Official Member

Default Heads or tails?

So, the CW around these parts is that the Stripers head right up river chasing Herring at this time of the year. I live up the river and the baitshop had fresh herring. No brainer. Well, I started slicing up the first herring and the head got stolen (?) then the steaks (all stolen) and then the tail went in. I couldn't give that bad boy away! Questions are raised:
  • Do Stripped Bass prefer the head/body sections to the tail section?
  • Was it this preference or the warming of the day through high noon that turned the bite off?
  • Every time Jeremy Wade catches any thing it takes the bait and moves off and THEN he sets the hook. All I got were two small tugs and that was that. Should I be hook-setting after that first tug?
By the time I got to that last thought all I had left was that tail!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Heads or tails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
So, the CW around these parts is that the Stripers head right up river chasing Herring at this time of the year. I live up the river and the baitshop had fresh herring. No brainer. Well, I started slicing up the first herring and the head got stolen (?) then the steaks (all stolen) and then the tail went in. I couldn't give that bad boy away! Questions are raised:
  • Do Stripped Bass prefer the head/body sections to the tail section?
  • Was it this preference or the warming of the day through high noon that turned the bite off?
  • Every time Jeremy Wade catches any thing it takes the bait and moves off and THEN he sets the hook. All I got were two small tugs and that was that. Should I be hook-setting after that first tug?
By the time I got to that last thought all I had left was that tail!
the reason for fish "liking" the head over any other part of a baitfish is that the oils are more concentrated at the head than any other part of the body. fish like bass/trout/and alot of other species that have a keen offactory sense or "senses in this case", will key in on the head, since they eat thier prey almost exclusively head first.

the warming of the day? in the early spring, the location you are fishing is not my expertise and won't comment on it. here however, the daytime bite is wind and weather related. weather patterns are one key to learning an area but not always a factor as fish do so many unexpected things. but,, they are predictable at two stages of the prefferred feeding times and almost always at night. if you are confined to fishing only the daytime? you should move from spot to spot and try and locate a productive area. "prefferably structure and current combined with deeper water. we've been over this last year as i recall?

your bait was eaten by something other than a bass most likely.. as i can't imagine you not accidentally catching a fish with what i would think was fresh bait...
but then again, if you are just leaving your rod in a rod holder and begging for a bite to be lost you are not going to fare well. a baitrunner reel won't alway's help as you lose alot of fish with this technique as your business end may be set up improperly to alert the fish to the presence of weight resistence or
omfg? wtf am i typing this for>>>> he doesn't have a baitrunner reel>>> he's not holding the rod in his hand is he? do i need to hold your hand every season? didn't you remember the lessons from last season? you had a whole 5-6 months to save up enough to get a setup to fish with.. what are you using now as opposed to last season?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Zimno1,

Don't you just love the guys that don't listen to advice and keep asking over and over again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman1 View Post
Zimno1,

Don't you just love the guys that don't listen to advice and keep asking over and over again?
Humbug! I was fishing structure at the edge of the current in the river. I was not using the bait-runner because of the current. I was holding my rod and the bait was fresh. So HA! I was out in about the same spot the other night and I caught a few catfish but no stipers. I was using clams. Last year I caught a couple small stripers and a few catfish in the same area. I was using clams. I have spent a lot of time fishing but don't catch many.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

alas the investigative mind plucks out the fact he owns a baitrunner reel?
it's not that he doesn't listen? he's just not putting it to good use. i don't mind repeating myself here. it's all i ever do. i pm people so's to give them options and veer away from input unrelated to the subject matter or just to avoid the ones not producing results for the said googins. pm sent.......

Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 PM
First Mate

LOL! Zim! And few years back you thought I was bad!Except the part where I listened.Grumpy, heads are the best.Do a search on this topic, and you'll find a lot of anglers mentioning different types of baitfish heads for a top bait choice.if your not catching any good Bass, my first ??? would be are there others in the area who are?If not you may consider some more intense scouting, and methods?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 AM

Mr. Grumpy?
I can't make heads nor tails out of this thread.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
the reason for fish "liking" the head over any other part of a baitfish is that the oils are more concentrated at the head than any other part of the body. fish like bass/trout/and alot of other species that have a keen offactory sense or "senses in this case", will key in on the head, since they eat thier prey almost exclusively head first.

the warming of the day? in the early spring, the location you are fishing is not my expertise and won't comment on it. here however, the daytime bite is wind and weather related. weather patterns are one key to learning an area but not always a factor as fish do so many unexpected things. but,, they are predictable at two stages of the prefferred feeding times and almost always at night. if you are confined to fishing only the daytime? you should move from spot to spot and try and locate a productive area. "prefferably structure and current combined with deeper water. we've been over this last year as i recall?

your bait was eaten by something other than a bass most likely.. as i can't imagine you not accidentally catching a fish with what i would think was fresh bait...
but then again, if you are just leaving your rod in a rod holder and begging for a bite to be lost you are not going to fare well. a baitrunner reel won't alway's help as you lose alot of fish with this technique as your business end may be set up improperly to alert the fish to the presence of weight resistence or
omfg? wtf am i typing this for>>>> he doesn't have a baitrunner reel>>> he's not holding the rod in his hand is he? do i need to hold your hand every season? didn't you remember the lessons from last season? you had a whole 5-6 months to save up enough to get a setup to fish with.. what are you using now as opposed to last season?
no!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Striper Hunter

the reason your bait was hit head and tail: the size of the fish that was hitting it. Small bass! or small something. When a fish hits the target, they open there mouth creating a vacuum. They suck the bait in. it ether goes in heads first or tails first, not sideways. The fish hitting your bait was small. Although stripers are both smell and sight hitters, they do not spend time sniffing out prey. (WHen they are small),LArge bass are smellers more than sight but... I have caught more large bass on bucktails and kastmasters then I have on live bait or bait in general so, you cant tell me the bass smelled that stainless and hit it! Small schoolies.... they are agressive and greedy. They have comp to deal with. They hit anythign that moves. one time I caught a 4" striper on the biggest kastmaster made. It was so cute. sorry about the grammer...idc
Old 05-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Striper Hunter

Get yourself a bucktail jig. sight. put a sandworm/bloodworm or head/tail on it: smell. I prefer naked bucktails to anything or a chute rig. Biggest bass I ever caught was in the rip @ the race in Long Island sound. I caught it on a kastmaster with a bucktail on it. but...bucktail leadhead or kastmaster..... ether is nice