Best Size for Eating - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Official Member

Default Best Size for Eating

What is the best size striper for good eating? I hear large 35"+ would not taste as good as smaller, is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Best Size for Eating

Yea kinda, there all going to taste the same within reason. Kinda like deer, there is a slight difference between a fawn and a 5 year old deer, but nothing huge. Fish is fish.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Striper Hunter

The larger they are the more likely they're loading with pcb's and other contaminants as well. Better to eat the smaller ones if you have to. Just be sure to cut out any meat that is reddish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Official Member

If the fish is red on the outside or has red in the meat DON'T eat any part of the fish. I don't think you're even supposed to touch it none the less eat it.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Official Member

Not like anyone would eat that anyway. I think it was Striperjim who posted a few pics on a thread about Pfiesteria Piscicida. I looked but couldn't find the thread I was looking for.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Have not posted yet

I only eat bass once or twice a year, usually from a fish I can't revive. However, I prefer the big ones. Little ones run around chasing oily baitfish like sandeels and anchovies. The ones over 30 pounds eat stuff I like to eat - fluke, flounder, crabs... With the big ones, I steak the fillets and grill them. Delicious.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Official Member

I prefer fish between 10 and 15 lbs. seems to stay a little more moist and tender. Plus it doesn't have as much bad stuff built up in it.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Striper Hunter

yes i prefer the smaller ones s well. PCB's can give you cancer and the big ones are chock full of em.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Official Member

We only eat the fish we catch big or small if you cookum right they are good. Been eating them and other fish for fifty some years and still here.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Official Member

PCBs add flavor.
Mercury shows you when it is the right temp. for eating.
Unless you eat it every day, you should be all right.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 PM

The toxins are stored in the fat tissue so I'd cut away the fat and any nerve tissue like the lateral line thats made up mostly of fatty tissue. Striped bass dont have much fatty tissue.
I dont think I would eat a great big old catfish with a fat belly even after cutting the fat away. Those mudders litterally can taste like mercury.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:09 AM
First Mate

I eat between 30"-35" btw beer batter mix tastes great and compliments the flavor of the PCB's!!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Official Member

If you want to feed about 4 adults who want to eat a nice size fillet, a large steak, then you should go for a well fed 28-32 inch fish, or 2 skinny 28's. Its better for the population to throw the high 30s+ fish back, they are the primary breeders and produced hundreds of schoolies every year if we are lucky,some of them make it to the keeper size, and the lucky few grow into the trophy size beasts we all dream about catching every time we go out and always remember that first time you actually reel 1 in.

Take a picture, it will last longer, throwing away the lbs of of fish you and your buddies can't finish, or freezing up fillets to last you a while is not ideal for quality eating. Bring home a nice healthy barely legal fish from a nice pristine tidal river in maine where its been cleansed for weeks in unpolluted waters feeding on lobsters and local juvenile sand eels is probably best, over pulling out a holdover in boston harbor by the power plant, lol.

We all need to encourage good practices for maintaining and revitalizing striper populations, I don't want to find out fishing for them is now banned, or they get fished out. Only take what you know you will eat, and utilize simple but dramatic practices for releasing a fish who will live such as circle hooks for bait, removing treble hooks from lures and replacing them with with a single hook, and getting the fish back in the water quickly and without traumatizing it by doing immature crap like trying to see how many flips you can make it do on your release throw.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Official Member

take ''thestriperwhisper'' post , i agree 100 %
Old 05-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Catch&Releaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStriperWhisperer View Post
If you want to feed about 4 adults who want to eat a nice size fillet, a large steak, then you should go for a well fed 28-32 inch fish, or 2 skinny 28's. Its better for the population to throw the high 30s+ fish back, they are the primary breeders and produced hundreds of schoolies every year if we are lucky,some of them make it to the keeper size, and the lucky few grow into the trophy size beasts we all dream about catching every time we go out and always remember that first time you actually reel 1 in.

Take a picture, it will last longer, throwing away the lbs of of fish you and your buddies can't finish, or freezing up fillets to last you a while is not ideal for quality eating. Bring home a nice healthy barely legal fish from a nice pristine tidal river in maine where its been cleansed for weeks in unpolluted waters feeding on lobsters and local juvenile sand eels is probably best, over pulling out a holdover in boston harbor by the power plant, lol.

We all need to encourage good practices for maintaining and revitalizing striper populations, I don't want to find out fishing for them is now banned, or they get fished out. Only take what you know you will eat, and utilize simple but dramatic practices for releasing a fish who will live such as circle hooks for bait, removing treble hooks from lures and replacing them with with a single hook, and getting the fish back in the water quickly and without traumatizing it by doing immature crap like trying to see how many flips you can make it do on your release throw.
Practice catch and release only for me. Why eat striper? its not at all as good as other fish you can buy at a market after fishing.. why not save the only species i am able to fish! I went out today in Boston Harbor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	13579