Raw striper - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Saltwater Species
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Species Whatever else you're catching or want to catch. Cod / Tuna / Fluke / Blues / Weakfish / Tataug / Sea Bass / Flounder / Shark / Snook / Bonefish / Tarpon / Redfish / Barracuda / Sea Trout / Cobia, etc...

Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Raw striper

i had striped bass sashimi last night at my local sushi place. i ate raw striped bass and i fell in love with it. i was wondering if anyone catches and eats there fish on the spot? and if so howd it taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Raw striper

Not this Guy. Grilled... no raw fish for me. Especially if I catch it in / near Providence.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 AM

Me too. Im not fond of sea lice. I like my sushi cooked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 PM
First Mate

Just my opinion, but the place had to buy the Striper so he supports commercial fishing of Striped bass and I don't. Once again, just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Veteran Elite

Alot of that stuff is farm bass just like the shorts you see in the fish markets. When I do keep a fish to bring home I feel bad for it the whole time as it's dying. I don't think I could take a bite until my guilt wears off and it's face is long gone. I ate too much sashimi in Kaui a few years back and can't even look at it anymore. Bring a pd&j with ya and eat the bass sashimi at the restaurant prepared by someone who knows how to do so.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Striper Hunter

lol i was just wondering if anyone ever done so..i seen it done with tuna and i really dont trust the fish out of the waters here until it is cook.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

farm raised bass is fine but, you have a real great shot at getting deathly ill from one of these critters. anyone who shrugs it off and say's "aww it's fine" is a moron imo. too great a % of these fish are contaminated. if i see a really good healthy fish come along i will take that one and keep him for the table. don't take unnecessary risks with it.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:22 PM
swabbie

I often practice catch and release but when I do keep one I usually cook it. On a few occasions we have eaten a fresh striper the we caught raw. It was pretty good! No illness from it either :) Was never as good as at a sushi place but I think that's more of a reflection on my sushi skills then on the bass itself. I'm not a big fan of mackerel (except for bait) but we've tried them raw on my boat before and I have to say it wasn't bad. Fluke is another one that I've eaten raw and it was even better than the bass.

Last fall I was fishing in Costa Rica with some friends and one guy caught a small yellow fin tuna. He then took a nap and we promptly showed his fish raw. Now that was some good eating! It was pretty funny watching him look for his fish in the cooler when we woke up while we were eating the sushi right in front of him (he'd never had sushi before). He took it better when we caught a few more and gave him one back...

Eating raw fish, especially on your own, definetly has some risk involved in it so be carefull.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Official Member

I eat sashimi and do enjoy it but, I've never eaten anything I caught raw and on the spot. I enjoy the various ways I cook my catch and like to experiment a little with new ways too. I don't think it will be any better raw but if I see it in a sushi place I'll have to give it a try, after all they know, I hope, what they're doing I don't. On a side note does anyone know if the fish at sushi places has been irradiated to kill any bacteria?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by massfisher View Post
On a side note does anyone know if the fish at sushi places has been irradiated to kill any bacteria?
I read an article on On The Water about sushi that said they all freeze the fish for a few days before serving it for safety reasons. I had always thought that it was super "fresh" but according to that article they freeze it. It didn't mention irradiating it. The few times I've had it home made we never frooze it first which seems to me to defeat the purpose of fresh sushi.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfisher View Post
I read an article on On The Water about sushi that said they all freeze the fish for a few days before serving it for safety reasons. I had always thought that it was super "fresh" but according to that article they freeze it. It didn't mention irradiating it. The few times I've had it home made we never frooze it first which seems to me to defeat the purpose of fresh sushi.
Did any of you guys see the epsiode of On The Water filmed in Nantucket?? They were fishing one side of the island catching false albacore then ventured over to the other side and I believe they were after Atlantic bonito?? After a while they caught one of these bonito and there was a guy right there who cut it into little strips, little soy sauce and some wasabi and they ate it right there. I'm not much of a sushi fan but I assume it doesn't get much fresher than right from the surf. I don't like freezing striper after I catch it either, it gets filleted, put in the fridge on ice and cooked that day or it goes back in the drink to be caught another day.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
swabbie

I didn't catch that episode but since my DVR records all of the old ones even though I tell it not to I'm sure I'll get my chance :)

We did the same thing in Costa Rica with some tuna. Just add soy and wasabi and you have some damned good sushi. Check out that pic from last fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cr09_sushi.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	13103  
Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Official Member

I would do it if it was caught say in mantauk or points north. Too many pcb's around the New York Bite area
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Official Member

Sure I would try it if was caught in clean waters.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:26 PM
NOOB

dang, all this food talk is making me hungry.