Plug Wiggle? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Default Plug Wiggle?

I'm trying to figure out what makes a plug wiggle. I know the shape of the lip is part of it and also where the line is attached but only if line is attached to the lip. Meaning a round lip will wiggle more than a square one as the square one will dive deeper. Also if attaching the line to the lip/bill it will be allowed to wiggle more if line(eye) is attached closer to the body. I think the angle of the lip is increased it may also increase wobble but I also don't want it to dive to deep as a sharper angle will do.
Is there anything else I can do to increase the wobble? say maybe bend lip concave shape? I had printed some info from luremaking.com about lip shapes(templates) and angles.
Right now 2 plugs I made have a slight snake like movement through the water but I would like a tighter wobble to it. Any input would be helpful. Here is a pic of the 2 I just finished, made with maple, lexan lip, through wired with 150# swivel coated before and after paint with etex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homemade crank 5 & 6.5inch.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	11791   Click image for larger version

Name:	homemade crank 5inch#1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	11792  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Plug Wiggle?

Okay I know nothing about plug building but in just looking at these pics and then at some of my plugs I am thinking that maybe if you move the lip closer to the front of the plug that if might increase the wiggle and also make it more rounded on the sides instead of square

Just a thought...
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
First Mate

I was thinking the same thing today. I had also stopped and looked at many different plugs and came to that conclusion. Thank you for the input also. I have another few I'm doing right now so I will try the lip closer to the front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i actually bent the lips of some of my Old 7" rebel minnows straight down. the plastic won't break if heated and they stay in that position. real erratic bouncing side to side action and it's not really good to swim them as that was not my intention. just a tug tug tug and pause kinda deal. working it really slow moved it side to side with a nice wiggle. i have it in my plug bag all the time now as the mullet are like 5 or 6" now and some bigger. the lips on those old plugs are like 1/2" long and skinny. one would wonder why i destroyed the action on it and added extra weight in the underside via epoxy and titanium dust mix. but to see it work is altogether art. i bent the lip but it wobbled too much. i added weight and it slowed it down to my liking. nobody figured out wtf i was doing with it till i showed them and it was a oh wow? but it was too excentric to grasp. i all too well know this but i don't look for the plug in my bag with the status quo action. it caught bass and it's all i care about. i only toss it up current in skinny water. at night it moves like a fish in trouble. that lure and a bomber/redfin work in this cove and also on the flats moved in that way. if you make one with the lip straight down i would make you some of my fly's "your choice" in exchange. as 4290 will tell you of the weird ones i had him make me, i can say that it is a small fish tactic but, in times where the fish gods will only hand out that assortment there it beats the skunk.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

there are many, many factors that effect what makes a plug swim.... it all starts with the wood... the density of the wood is where it all begins..

the shape of the plug.. which dictates how the water will flow over it is a factor...

the actual weighting, position or lack there of weight effects how the plug will swim...

the through drilling or position of the screw eyes are a determining factor....

the height of the pull eye or through wire has it's own effect as to the center of gravity.

the number of hooks on a plug make a differance...hooks with two trebles in the belly tend to track straighter...

and last but not least.. the lips how the water flows around or over a lip also determines how a plug will swim...

so have at it.. make several of each style plug you want to make, test them with all the different variables you can think of.. take notes.. it's what plug building is all about...in the end.. the fish will decide what is best...
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

and remove some of that bucktail on that rear hook.. try a single siwash and a much sparcer bucktail.. too much bucktail tends to deaden the action....much like catching a hunk of weed....
Old 09-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
and remove some of that bucktail on that rear hook.. try a single siwash and a much sparcer bucktail.. too much bucktail tends to deaden the action....much like catching a hunk of weed....
I would say Roc just nailed it there.

Also, on a proto plug it makes some sense to put the front loop in horizontally. Doing it that way allows you to bend it up and down to get a better feel how the location of the tie will effect <affect?> the action of the plug (use a small snap of course). When you're happy with the action now you know where it is best located and you can build the rest with the tie loop vertical.
Obviously this method won't work with screw eyes.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
there are many, many factors that effect what makes a plug swim.... it all starts with the wood... the density of the wood is where it all begins..

the shape of the plug.. which dictates how the water will flow over it is a factor...

the actual weighting, position or lack there of weight effects how the plug will swim...

the through drilling or position of the screw eyes are a determining factor....

the height of the pull eye or through wire has it's own effect as to the center of gravity.

the number of hooks on a plug make a differance...hooks with two trebles in the belly tend to track straighter...

and last but not least.. the lips how the water flows around or over a lip also determines how a plug will swim...

so have at it.. make several of each style plug you want to make, test them with all the different variables you can think of.. take notes.. it's what plug building is all about...in the end.. the fish will decide what is best...

........pay close attention to what the roc has to say. you will learn more than you can imagine.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:26 PM
First Mate

I had thought about the front loop and mounting it horizontaly but I had mounted it vertical so I could adjust the tracking if not straight. I've been playing with different hooks and am also going to try moving lip forward. I'm also going to try different woods and adding weight. I had not used weight in these due to them being somewhat heavy already due to wood being maple. Thank you for the input Roc and all. Right now I'm just doing a building a few, maybe in the winter I'll get more involved in it and use all these pointers
Thanks to all
Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 AM
First Mate

Well here is another 5 1/2" maple one with the lip a little more forward. Also one (not painted) with a different shape and length(7 1/2") along with being made with Cedar. Any pointers where I should stick about 1/8 to 1/4oz. of weight, I was thinking just back from the bottom/front hook and maybe by head. I know what Roc had said about trial and error but I'm just trying to keep my error as low as possible. I'm also going to see how it sits in water to try and get an idea
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hand carve maple 5 .5 inch pic2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	11868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cedar Windcheat 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	11869  
Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 PM
First Mate

Well I finally got a couple that swim great.(action) The best one was made with cedar and weighted with about 1/8 oz just behind lower hook. I have another that also swims quite well and I think will be better with a hook change. I'm now going to try adding a tiny bit of weight to a maple one and also try a lip change on another to try an improve it. I thank all you guys for your input.

Zimno I have a few adjustments to one of them then I will send of to you. I still cant figure how this thing is supposed to swim. I just need to fix a very tiny roll, well more like a slight lean to one side now and then. I hope you like. The spots where supposed to be lighter but I screwed up, I still wan't to do a touch up on the epoxy so if you want I can lighten them. Not counting the loops it's 7 1/2" long and now has an Owner treble on bottom and a dressed VMC Siwash on rear. If you do a real slow retrieve it has a nice zig zag and with abit quicker one it S wiggle swims around 6" to 1'-that's in freshwater though so things may change in salt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zims.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	11983  
Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
I just need to fix a very tiny roll, well more like a slight lean to one side now and then.
A slight bit of roll isn't a bad thing, I prefer my plugs to have a touch of it.
Have you ever watched a school of baitfish? They don't all swim perfectly level, many of them will turn a bit and "flash".
Old 10-13-2009, 03:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
A slight bit of roll isn't a bad thing, I prefer my plugs to have a touch of it.
Have you ever watched a school of baitfish? They don't all swim perfectly level, many of them will turn a bit and "flash".

Yeah what was I thinking, I'm just so used to lures swimming a certain way I quess. turn a bit? hell their all over the place when being chased or harassed. Thank you for the input Suds

Zim let me know on the spots, I sanded the plug to reapply some epoxy. I had tried some new paint that turned out brighter than I thought and then got even brighter(stad out more) when epoxied.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

ya did good, it's exactly what i said to do to it. not overly concerned about the paint job as i wasn't specific to make it all white. i'm impressed as i couldn't get many people to make any for me that way. i'm concerned the trebble will foul on the lip however. i didn't see that coming when i first looked at the size of the plug. like i mentioned. i use that rebel lure in 2 ft of water and rarely move it too fast. it's a really really slow and deliberate sweep if you will. smaller fish will follow it but the bigger schoolie will take it if ones about. i happened along this trigger while testing the lip bend out one afternoon. nice work.if i see it doesn't move the way i thought i will put weight to it in one spot and show you what i mean. i'll bring the other one to show you when we get together to fish. looking forward to your addition in the zim plug contest in december. which btw you should see my response to your post lol.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:31 PM
First Mate

I was going to add a bit of weight to it, it was mainly do to the little roll it had though. After suds post maybe the roll is not bad. When it does the roll/lean it is usually when it comes to a stop, it leans a bit then sits upright. It does swim a walk the dog type motion(I was surprised) with out really trying to do it. I don't think it's a plug you can rip through the water though but who knows what will happen in the salt as I have tested in freshwater. Do you wan't this in white? White alone? or with some silver or gold also. I can spray a light coat of pearl or mettalic white on it as I need to epoxy again. Right now it's like bronze/copper on top-Silver w/dark scale pattern on sides and spots-green/red and white on bottom. The whole plug as been sprayed with a pearl spray which causes a slight color shift on the sides(hard to explain) the sides where supposed to be more silver but I wnet a little heavy on the scale coat. I was thinking now that I have an airbrush(did not have when I painted this) I can hit it with some white as mention.(do you prefer pearl, mettalic or plain white) or I could even do silver. I really don't want to paint it all white(solid) though. Hell I only asked you 3 times(maybe more) what color you wanted.