Surf Casting Live Eels - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: How To Fish Eels From Surf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOATSUM View Post
More than one way to skin a cat.

I have a cooler with a raised bottom. Eels on top / ice under. Keep eels out of the water, but keep them cold. They appear to be sleeping and move very sluggishly.
I'll hook one of the cooled eels under the chin and out through the eye and cast it out. No finder, sinker or whatnot generally.
VERY rare to have a "monkey's fist" this way. At least from my experiences.
The warmer water brings the eel back to full life force. Never let the eel sit on the beach. If you let them hang between cast, they'll curl a bit, but never had one ball up.
As to where to cast?
Read the beach. Find where the wave action comes together from opposing sides. Where they meet, the wash will be taking out most of the time if positioned right. (may need to go one side or the other a bit though)
Heave it out and let it sit a spell. How long? Depends on you and how the eel travels in the drink. Sometimes 20 min. to a half hour. Other times, 5 minutes.
If the eel swims out of the little rip, the tide will usually push it back to shore. Catch it right and it heads for England.
The above is for open beaches. Not rocky areas or weeded jetties.

I hate to throw an eel away just because it died! At $2.00 each, they get wasteful.
Do a Google on rigging an eel. Needles are easily fashioned from wire coat hangers or (better yet) stainless steel welding wires.
Frozen rigged eels last a very long time in the freezer. Wrap individually in wet cloth or paper towels.

If time is tight, Simply skin and salt (google again) and add to a plug for eel skins. Inside out or right side out both work good.
The convenience is well worth the effort to save them.

Just some more ideas for your eeling pleasures.
I will always chill my eels no matter where I intend to fish. Much easier handling and keeping that way.

Great info.

Anyone here use the Aquaskinz eel bag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Surf Casting Live Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
Fishing with eels can certainly be tough, the key is patience, patience and more patience. After you feel the initial "tap" on your rod and bow to the fish, wait a few seconds before setting the hook and your hook-up ratio will increase dramatically. Its kinda like riding a bike, once ya get yer first on eels you wont forget how ya got 'em. Good luck man, hope your hitting 'em as hard as we are here in north country.

StriperHyper ~ Will

Hey Will, do you use eels up on OOB? Because me and my friend will be heading up there hopefully mid july, and we will be hitting the ogunquit area and hopefully OOB, have any pointers for fishing those areas?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Anyone here use the Aquaskinz eel bag?
Yes I just just clip it on my belt.
A ziplock bag is just as good for grabbing the buggers through the plastic - sticking in the jaw and out an eyeball right through the baggies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

better make sure you can get eels somewhere up there before you go..

Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 AM
First Mate

Have a great time at OOB. If you are not sure on the eels either call ahead or just bring some with you, they will keep a while on bagged ice.
There is some great striper fishing up that way, but watch your water temps, you can hop on Rt. 1 and also head north or south for more great action. I use Microsoft streets and trips with a GPS antenna to find my way around. There are many river inlets and rocky coast line for some great fishing up there. I like Streets and Trips as it is very easy to back out and get a wide view of the area, easier than a dash gps unit and my laptop has a much bigger screen. I also use my laptop to google earth the area for a real good picture of the coastline.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Hey Will, do you use eels up on OOB? Because me and my friend will be heading up there hopefully mid july, and we will be hitting the ogunquit area and hopefully OOB, have any pointers for fishing those areas?

I couldn't tell ya much about getting eels in Ogunquit (plenty of trouser trout though from what I hear ) but you'll have no problem getting them in the OOB area. Saco Bay tackle is on Rte 1 in Saco, next town over from OOB, and they have anything you'll need from live eels to plugs, terminal tackle etc........I do recommend a trip to Chevy's bait and tackle if ya plan on using sandworms though, biggest ones around BY FAR!!!! Fishing with eels can be real good up here, especially @ a few spots in particular. PM me as we get closer and Id be happy to point ya in the general direction of a few areas that should put ya on fish. I recommend ya bring a pair of korkers as well if ya wanna fish the mecca of all Maine fishing spots. Good luck to ya my friend.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 AM
First Mate

Thanks alot Will. I'll pm you when i figure out the dates we are going, we are probably gonna hit cape cod for a few days then head up there, and thanks again.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish75 View Post
Is there any preferred rig for this? I've never tried it. Though i may give it a try one night this week.
Anyone have any luck live lining eels on cloudy days?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekr View Post
Anyone have any luck live lining eels on cloudy days?

Eels are better served being fished at night with a slow retrieve, but every rule has an exception. Try em out a couple times, be it in the dead of the night, a bright sunny morning or an overcast day. Night time is the right time, but the only wrong time is spent not on the water!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 06-24-2009, 12:47 PM

I've caught fish on eels in the middle of the day, bright sun overhead.
Never be afraid to have a go.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Veteran Elite

I've caught fish jigging black sluggos in the daytime and seen a 40lber pulled in at noon time on one. I never used eels during the daytime but why wouldn't they work if their imitation does?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Official member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
I couldn't tell ya much about getting eels in Ogunquit (plenty of trouser trout though from what I hear ) but you'll have no problem getting them in the OOB area. Saco Bay tackle is on Rte 1 in Saco, next town over from OOB, and they have anything you'll need from live eels to plugs, terminal tackle etc........I do recommend a trip to Chevy's bait and tackle if ya plan on using sandworms though, biggest ones around BY FAR!!!! Fishing with eels can be real good up here, especially @ a few spots in particular. PM me as we get closer and Id be happy to point ya in the general direction of a few areas that should put ya on fish. I recommend ya bring a pair of korkers as well if ya wanna fish the mecca of all Maine fishing spots. Good luck to ya my friend.

StriperHyper ~ Will

I'm heading to York on Saturday. Where is Chevy's?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Young salt

Chevy's in nowhere close to York my friend.....I was saying if ur coming up to OOB ya gotta go to Chevy's 'cause they have, by far, the best worms in town. Chevy's is located at Camp Ellis, about a 10 minute ride outside of Old Orchard Beach. Let me see if I can get ya directions and I'll PM them to your inbox....if in fact you're gonna be in the OOB area at all

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 07-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Lets get back on topic. Perfect explanation
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...35&postcount=4

Terminal end

Hook the eel under the jaw and out the eyeball.
5/0 to 7/0 gamakatsu octopus hook snelled to 36 inches of 50 pound seaguar flourocarbon to a quality barrel swivel tied using a palomar knot to 50 pound spiderwire stealth or sufix performance braid.

Cast out let it swim to the bottom. Eels will do this naturally and head for cover. Reel in very very slowly keeping the line moving and taught.
When you feel a bump, lower the rod tip and when the line becomes tight, Wham; cross its eyes and then set the hook again.

Now its you, your gear and your knots against this glorious beast.
If she beats you - she deserved to.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Shark Bait

This may be a dumb question. But I was casting eels in some current last night. I always learned from fly fishing that you wanna cast upstream mostly. I also do this when I am plugging. Does this apply to eels too? Is it ever effective to cast the eels downstream and slowly bring them back? I had no luck with anything I tried last night. Thanks.