Surf Casting Live Eels - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 PM

Default Re: How To Fish Eels From Surf?

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...eel#post119535

threads merged - jh
How To Fish Eels From Surf?
Surf Casting Live Eels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 PM
First Mate

Thank You Sir. Ill give that a try this week. What would you reccoment to fish at night if i may ask? would you prefer to fish off of a jetty at night or would you prefer to fish off of the shoreline?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

GO TO THE JETTY LUKE!!!
cast your eel and sloooooowly retrieve it. never let it sit still or it will do a monkeys fist on the line (roc's term which cracks me up)
i like the rod tip high at about 10 oclock and when the hit comes bow the rod down to the fish and let him take it.
sometimes the fish goes away
sometimes he don't....
in the later you will "feel" the weight of the fish.
as you get good at it you will intuitively know when to set the hook.
you will however make the mistake of holding your rod wrong "as there are no wrong ways but just less productive ways" and you will swing and miss as the excitement will be overwhelming at first.
as time goes on and eels get dwindled down in yer little bucket you will have wished you bought a dozen instead of 3. so buy at least 6-8 as a couple may die/one or two will fall in the water and get away/you will cast one into kingdom come once or twice/bluefish/snags/bad job of hooking him/any number of incidents i have witnessed.
keep em alive. change the water periodically.
keep em alive. don't leave em in the bag you got them in from the bait shop;
keep em lively. use the water you will be fishing them in to acclimate them to the water temp you will be casting them into
make sure you have a rag "or several" as you will need to grab them with something as your bare hand will not do till you get the knack of it. small 3/0 or 4/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks are fine with a leader of fluoro and a swivel is all you need. the leader doesn't have to be overly long but that too is a preference. more to come on this as others will chime in. i am just typing the basics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 AM
First Mate

Sounds easy enough, thnks for the imput, Zim, do you twitch it at all? Or just reel in very very slowly? And what do you guys have your drags set at for fishing with eels?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:03 AM
First Mate

Thanks again for the pointers. Im going to be going out a couple times this week with a buddy of mine and we are really hoping to hook into a couple keepers. As for night fishing is there a certain tide to be fished that will be more productive of a time to fish? Also because it is a new moon this week will that make it less productive to fish now than it will be in the first week of July when a full moon is approaching? Once again thanks for the pointers.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

it's a new moon. and some spots are more productive on low tide than on high tide. most areas are fishable in less that 2 feet of water when fishing at night and at the right place. i don't know where you are fishing so i can't tell you what is best in your area. open beach is just a crap shoot. find wood pilings and pitch em in there.
find an inlet/outflow/eelgrass/and pitch em in there.
where the F*$K are you fishing? new zealand/boston/NC?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 AM
First Mate

Sorry I was not more specific earlier. I am fishing in and around the jetties and channels in the charleston area of Rhode Island. I will also be in Westerly a bit. I also may fish out of a yak out in the salt ponds down the canals and breachways.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Sounds easy enough, thnks for the imput, Zim, do you twitch it at all? Or just reel in very very slowly? And what do you guys have your drags set at for fishing with eels?
i'll twitch it if it dies and i have no more.
i'll twitch it if i get a hit and want her to hear where she missed it or see it moving in a different light.
i'll twitch it in my buddies face if i am fishing eels and he is fishing plugs and i am clobbering them.
yes i will twitch it.
the drag on some of my reels are set at like 15#

Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 AM
First Mate

Lol ok, i guess i will be twitching it! thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

More than one way to skin a cat.

I have a cooler with a raised bottom. Eels on top / ice under. Keep eels out of the water, but keep them cold. They appear to be sleeping and move very sluggishly.
I'll hook one of the cooled eels under the chin and out through the eye and cast it out. No finder, sinker or whatnot generally.
VERY rare to have a "monkey's fist" this way. At least from my experiences.
The warmer water brings the eel back to full life force. Never let the eel sit on the beach. If you let them hang between cast, they'll curl a bit, but never had one ball up.
As to where to cast?
Read the beach. Find where the wave action comes together from opposing sides. Where they meet, the wash will be taking out most of the time if positioned right. (may need to go one side or the other a bit though)
Heave it out and let it sit a spell. How long? Depends on you and how the eel travels in the drink. Sometimes 20 min. to a half hour. Other times, 5 minutes.
If the eel swims out of the little rip, the tide will usually push it back to shore. Catch it right and it heads for England.
The above is for open beaches. Not rocky areas or weeded jetties.

I hate to throw an eel away just because it died! At $2.00 each, they get wasteful.
Do a Google on rigging an eel. Needles are easily fashioned from wire coat hangers or (better yet) stainless steel welding wires.
Frozen rigged eels last a very long time in the freezer. Wrap individually in wet cloth or paper towels.

If time is tight, Simply skin and salt (google again) and add to a plug for eel skins. Inside out or right side out both work good.
The convenience is well worth the effort to save them.

Just some more ideas for your eeling pleasures.
I will always chill my eels no matter where I intend to fish. Much easier handling and keeping that way.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Lol ok, i guess i will be twitching it! thanks
don't do that.........
bad habits are hard to erase.
just look at all the info here and elsewhere and pay attention to what's goin on on the end of yer line. if you've never cast an eel don't try and make it do anything unnatural like jerkin it around. i know what i posted but don't you go and do that right off the bat. like i said, you will (if your a fisherman with some sense) learn what is going on by trial and error and not immediately changing tactics. it moves naturally for best results.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM
First Mate

Thank You Floatsum, I will definitely give that a try. It sounds very logical.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 AM
First Mate

Thanks again Zim, I'll just let it do its "natural thing" while retrieving it very slowly and within time i'm bound to hook into one.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Surf Casting Live Eels

ZIM and FLOAT- Great Info here guys...my hookup ratio with eels was just not worth spending the money on those slimey critters, I was doing it all wrong...this info has me intrigued... I'm drifting eels next time out, Again Great Info thanks!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Surf Casting Live Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVBEANZ-6500B View Post
ZIM and FLOAT- Great Info here guys...my hookup ratio with eels was just not worth spending the money on those slimey critters, I was doing it all wrong...this info has me intrigued... I'm drifting eels next time out, Again Great Info thanks!

Fishing with eels can certainly be tough, the key is patience, patience and more patience. After you feel the initial "tap" on your rod and bow to the fish, wait a few seconds before setting the hook and your hook-up ratio will increase dramatically. Its kinda like riding a bike, once ya get yer first on eels you wont forget how ya got 'em. Good luck man, hope your hitting 'em as hard as we are here in north country.

StriperHyper ~ Will