Fileting fish at ramps - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Fly fishin' geek

Default Re: Fileting fish at ramps

Legal or not, I see it all as a little wasteful. I like to clean my fish at home, Last year we fed frozen remains through a meat grinder to use for chumming.

BUT where this is technically striper "bits" I dont know if that was really legal either.

Also as another but, and not to be a troublemaker... what do they expect vacationing or urban fishermen to do with their kept legal catch?
Its an issue that should be addressed in some capacity. Many places do no allow animal remains in trash pick up, and who wants stinky guts in your trash cans when pick up is weekly. Dumping in the woods or near your home can attract skunks, racoons, bear, etc.. A striper can also not be transported while not in tact. The launch is the next legal place to clean your catch besides at home. On the water there are gulls and crabs who will happily clean up the remains, but as mentioned... who wants to see fish carcasses littering up a launch?

I wonder if we should take a survey. Any suggestions on what should be done with the catch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 02:25 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

It's probably not that big of a deal that people clean their fish at the ramp, but when people trash the place and leave s**t everywhere it gives the rest of us reasons why they should clean it in their OWN back yard.

I guess you could gut it and stuff and as long as you can prove how long it is (aka not cutting the head and tail off) you should be god to go.

I'm not an expert at filleting fish but couldn't you gut the fish, and scale it at the ramp and then throw it on ice with no problem. From their it really isn't that hard or messy to actually cut the head and tail off and then fillet it.....all you need is a really sharp knife.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 PM
First Mate

Ok, I'll tell you that anything I keep comes home with me intact. I have the luxury of an extra large double porcelin sink in the basement. Fitted with a 1 x 12, it is my fish station. Guts and all get carried out and slipped under a small creek overpass. It's where I set my killie and eel pot. So far, over the years, I've only lost two pots to some um......... well, I've only lost the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
Even if it was 5 or 6 guys, whatta ya think the odds that all fish were 28"+???? Not very good would be my gueestimation. And even if they were, which I doubt, did they HAVE to keep all of them?? 1 apiece for the grill, ok I get that....though I STILL don't think they'd need to keep that many fish if they were indeed that size. Undoubtedly the majority of these fish were shorts, let's not be fooled here. Friggen poachers man, I could just strangle one of them.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Fishing from a boat its more than possible if you know what your doing.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
Fishing from a boat its more than possible if you know what your doing.

ANYTHING is possible, I mean I could tell ya I brought a super model home last night and boinked her til her eyes bugged out.......while the REAL truth may be more like: "I brought a stubby Canadian broad home last night, banged her for 20 minutes then kicked her out and called all my buddies to brag about it." My question is how probable it was that 12 guys (or I guess it would have to be 6 by Mass regs right???) ALL knew what they were doing and caught fish over 28". And even still, lets say they WERE all legal, and not shorts, did they really HAVE to keep 2 each?? I seriously, seriously have a hard time believing this for some reason. Call me a skeptic (and yes Ive been known to be a conspiracy theorist), but my guess would be a couple of knuckleheads caught these fish, gutted, filleted and then tossed them back in the drink and then either stocked their freezer or sold 'em off to make a quick buck. Guess we'll never know the real truth so no point debating the issue, whatta ya gonna do right???

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 06-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Okay, bad rant. (sorry)

Let's track 'em down and string 'em up.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOATSUM View Post
What the hell is with this site lately?
ASSUME - Ass (out of) u & me.
Who said it was just 1 boat?

Simply an observation of a after thing.

Have we goten so hollier, high up on perfection, deemed our neighbor's keeper that we just can't wait to pass judgement?
That may have been several boats, 1 fish per person, tourist in a resort, people that honestly don't know better.

I've made mistakes, unlike many of you. Fortunately, nobody wanted to string me up for learning.

Good grief, it's only a fish.

What is going on here lately?????????

Everyone is more than willing to jump on the "condemnation" band wagon,,, what ever happened to helping and teaching?

Sad to say, Im not liking where this is all going.

Wrong is wrong, yes.
But...
Give a guy a break for Christ sakes!!!

You guys want to be holy men,,, this isn't the place. (or I hope it's not)

A striper is not a holy grail! It's only a fish. People make mistakes, and hopefully learn if confronted right. Chastizing isn't it!
Amen brother you ranted what I was going to earlier but decided it wasn't worth typing....I remember my earliest striper days riding on a head boat where some nights 35 guys would bring 2 fish each....let us not forget the careful consideration that goes into the recreational limits!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Im with you on that Gary. It gets tiring after a while.
We can only do our best and try to be stewards of the resource, not the gestapo.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:07 AM
First Mate

" stewards of the resource ".........I'm gonna use that. Jim, you silver-tongued devil. That's perfect.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Lunker

Salisbury Beach State Reservation ,75 boats any day ,1 fish per boat, half cleaned at the ramp,makes for a lot of ribs and heads.When we stayed there we did clean a fish or 2 at the ramp but kept the junk in a pail and dumped the next trip out.vt
Old 06-28-2009, 01:02 PM

As you can see from my handle I advocate catch and release but I can and will take a fish that is legal once in awhile and don't have a problem with that. That being said I consider it rude to leave fish carcasses or guts laying around in public places. If it wasn't illegal then seeing the carcasses and guts surely makes it look as such. A two fish limit and 12 carcasses? If that was from one boat it must have been a big boat to hold 6 fishermen!.. There should be a law that says that all pieces of the fish must be disposed of properly and not in sight...Isn't that considered littering maybe? At any rate we as fishermen should smarten up because we don't need the bad publicity do we?..As far as "out of country" people go...they need to learn our laws and obey them but that's a whole new subject that I have STRONG opinions on!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Official Member

If they are going to toss em there somebody should have a huge garden along side the parking lot with a cleaning station. That is a lot of wasted fertilizer.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
ANYTHING is possible, I mean I could tell ya I brought a super model home last night and boinked her til her eyes bugged out.......while the REAL truth may be more like: "I brought a stubby Canadian broad home last night, banged her for 20 minutes then kicked her out and called all my buddies to brag about it." My question is how probable it was that 12 guys (or I guess it would have to be 6 by Mass regs right???) ALL knew what they were doing and caught fish over 28". And even still, lets say they WERE all legal, and not shorts, did they really HAVE to keep 2 each?? I seriously, seriously have a hard time believing this for some reason. Call me a skeptic (and yes Ive been known to be a conspiracy theorist), but my guess would be a couple of knuckleheads caught these fish, gutted, filleted and then tossed them back in the drink and then either stocked their freezer or sold 'em off to make a quick buck. Guess we'll never know the real truth so no point debating the issue, whatta ya gonna do right???

Come on Will we know you couldn't even go for 20 minutes....LOL

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM
www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_index.htm

Default Re: Fileting fish at ramps (DONT DO IT!)

Here are the MASSACHUSETTS regulations on striped bass:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_index.htm

Minimum Length: 28 inches (tip of closed mouth to tip of tail)
Catch Limit: 2 Fish (per person)

Section 4:
Bass must be kept whole, with head, tail and body intact - no mutilation permitted (other than evisceration). The discard of dead, legal size striped bass is prohibited. To prohibit the practice of high-grading, recreational fishermen may not retain legal-sized striped bass and release said fish in favor of another larger legal-sized striped bass captured subsequently. It shall be unlawful to keep striped bass alive in the water by attaching a line or chain to the fish or placing the fish in a live well or holding car. Striped bass are measured from the tip of the snout or jaw (mouth closed) to the farthest extremity of the tail.

FYI: evisceration - to remove the entrails from; disembowel
Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Official Member

Back when we were all scared that we'd lose our striped bass fisheries (80's) we experienced the rebound like no one had evere dreamed of, and now we have a great healthy fishery. When the small fish started to show up, I was thrilled, but I also saw people taking Way short stripers and taking them home. (I mean like 10"fish) By blood boiling, I call Ma Green Police and sure enough, I became friendly with young man (I think I educated him? lol) who started patrolling area every day. He Confronted people and TRIED to educate them, (min length was 33") and finally had to arrest some to get message out. Anyway, my point is,,why dosen't some one call the Green police, talk to them and have them sit on ramp and check it all out....my 2cents..Tommy