Fileting fish at ramps - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Official Member

Thumbs down Fileting fish at ramps

Went to Salsbury this morning at dead low tide and found that someone had fileted about a dozen stripers right there. the seagulls were partying.
Smarten up, comes to mind. Don't ruin it for everyone. Whoever you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Fileting fish at ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhunter View Post
Went to Salsbury this morning at dead low tide and found that someone had fileted about a dozen stripers right there. the seagulls were partying.
Smarten up, comes to mind. Don't ruin it for everyone. Whoever you are.

Bunch of c**k gobbling poachers is who they are, 12 stripers is at least 11 too many if ya ask me, assuming it was one guy of course. I know the regs are 2 per day over 28" but it certainly doesn't mean you HAVE to keep 2.....and most definitely NEVER 12. Next time you're down there and ya see one of the balloon heads, hit 'em upside the head, flip them on their side, whip out your trusty filet knife and start cutting behind the dorsal. Wait, what, humans don't have dorsals ya say......ahhh well, tough shit for them I guess.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Cow Catcher

When you see them or catch them.Put your korker through there window and Throw all the Carcasses in there car and call the Green police.
I keep fish cause I Love fresh striper. But 12,, COME ON!!! I don't even keep that many all year.
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Official Member

glad at least a couple fishermen feel like i do. i remember when i started fishing stripers and people were catching and selling them. then there were no stripers for quite a few years. there are plenty now and maybe they are too easy to catch. enjoy the sport but please do not ruin it.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:56 PM

Who says it wasn't 6 or 7 guys coming off a boat?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Lunker

Any day at low tide you could see a dozen or more carcasses at the launch,not the place to do it.We use to stay at the reservation ,the smell is awful over there after 3 or 4 hot days.VT
Old 06-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Official Member

the catch could very well be legal. not the point. read the law about cutting up fish and transporting. i would rather not start meeting fish and game whenever we are at any launch.
this is what i read in the law:
Bass must be kept whole, with head, tail and body intact - no mutilation permitted (other than evisceration). The discard of dead, legal size striped bass is prohibited. To prohibit the practice of high-grading, recreational fishermen may not retain legal-sized striped bass and release said fish in favor of another larger legal-sized striped bass captured subsequently. It shall be unlawful to keep striped bass alive in the water by attaching a line or chain to the fish or placing the fish in a live well or holding car. Striped bass are measured from the tip of the snout or jaw (mouth closed) to the farthest extremity of the tail. Note: Permitted party/charter vessel operators may fillet striped bass for their customers. See 322 CMR 6.07 (4)(g) for details.

thats all i am saying. besides the smell and the flys
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawMan View Post
Who says it wasn't 6 or 7 guys coming off a boat?

Even if it was 5 or 6 guys, whatta ya think the odds that all fish were 28"+???? Not very good would be my gueestimation. And even if they were, which I doubt, did they HAVE to keep all of them?? 1 apiece for the grill, ok I get that....though I STILL don't think they'd need to keep that many fish if they were indeed that size. Undoubtedly the majority of these fish were shorts, let's not be fooled here. Friggen poachers man, I could just strangle one of them.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhunter View Post
Note: Permitted party/charter vessel operators may fillet striped bass for their customers. See 322 CMR 6.07 (4)(g) for details.

That may be true but I was always taught to never even touch the fish with a knife until I got home, especially if the fish was was right around 28". If you touch the fish in any and it gives the environmental police reason to believe the fish wasn't even legal in the first place, you may be in some big trouble.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Lunker

The party boats will fillet the fish and must keep the carcass until the trip is over, in case they are stopped by the DEC hence the carcass can be measured from nose to tail. then they are usually thrown overboard ........it is a good idea to puncture the eyeballs so the carcass sinks for crabs and other scavengers and doesnt stink the area up
Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21johansen View Post
That may be true but I was always taught to never even touch the fish with a knife until I got home, especially if the fish was was right around 28". If you touch the fish in any and it gives the environmental police reason to believe the fish wasn't even legal in the first place, you may be in some big trouble.
Probably age diff.
Bring home a fish with any cutting was against "Family Law"!
Heads used for soups / stews.
Racks for broth.
Anything of fair size was baked whole.
Perfect cook-out size was 18" (and legal!)
Used to scale fish because the skin was the best part (like the salt pork in beans).
Fishhead Chowder was "cool"! You'd flush out the tinkerbells on the first bowl. Floating eyeballs - "Here's lookin at ya!."

Still, I clean at home. Racks get to the garden. Makes the tomatoes plump don't ya know?
Sometimes the dog gets a head (good for the coat and omegas)
Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 AM

I lost track of what you guys were saying when I saw the picture in NYC BassMans post..WOW...

AnywaysI saw a bunch of out of country men catching and keeping SMALL stripers on the CT river about 3 weeks ago..Not seen them back since though..By out of country I mean Orientals....Not to point fingers!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
The worlds worst fisherman

heres where i have been confused, can i bleed the fish out at the water gut and scale it, because thats what i have been doing, i leave the whole fish intact less the guts and scales. A old striper guy who camps behind me told me that the quicker you get the guts and blood out, the pack it with ice, the better the meat tastes. And i only scale it to leave the mess there. Is that a no no? and it was 36". I have enough meat now to last a while and wont take anything untill i run out. Now im in the mind set to throw the big ones back and keep the smaller ones, because the big ones will only get bigger, and are more rare. Plus a picture is worth a thousand words, we no longer need to pull fish to prove you caught the biggest fish around, unless its record setting
Old 06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Striper Envy

1st about the original post - Definitely idiots for leaving carcasses on the boat ramp. However, it's been going on eversince I can remember.
At least have the decency to walk to the end of the ramp dock and put them in the deeper water so they don't rot at low tide.

That said seems like the laws pertaining to "keeping them whole until off the water" could be adding to this problem. Can't have it both ways.

Oily Maroo - I believe you are OK as long as you leave the head and tail intact. Can't see why scaling would be a problem as the reason for the law is so the CO can measure the fish. However, to be safe just cut the throat between the gills, tie on a rope and dunk overboard for 5-10 minutes to bleed out. This leaves great tasting meat, and meets the requirements of the law.

Now on the hi-jack part of the post. Everyone is assuming these all came from one or two guys. Could have been muliple boats, multiple guys. Also, if i was going to take illegal sized, or too many fish I certainly would not fillet them at the ramp, and leave the evidence.
I guess I am in the minority here but I still try to believe "innocent until proven guilty".
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
First Mate

Steve, you're not the only one who thinks that it may have been perfectly legal. This incident could have very well have been the annual family trip from the Pennsylvania mountains. Would anyone then deny them two fish a year? What it comes down to is that there is not enough information for an indictment. I do think, however, the carcasses would have been best discarded in deeper water. They would have provided food for the bottom foragers.
The other point I'd like to make is that the marina usually provides the cleaning station. The station in Tottenville Marina is in very shallow water. You could take the carcasses to some other point on the docks. I'd ask that you dump them at someone else's boat, please.
I am,absolutely, against any abuse of our natural resources. The poachers (taking beyond limits), the keepers of undersized anything, and the trash that leave trash have no place in my heart.

stepping down from my soap box now..............