My Attempt at the Bucktail :P - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 PM

Default My Attempt at the Bucktail :P

well, i got myself a lead pot from a friend and some molds so i figured i would give it a try. they aren't pretty, but it could be worse i suppose. my problem is that when i am tying them, the threads seem to shift a bit, which isnt a big deal except i was trying for certain placement on the Pink/Chartreuse on each bucktail and they just shifted out of place. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Official Member

Default Re: My Attempt at the Bucktail :P

I think I would place one color on and then make a few wraps and then place the othercolor on and finish wraping until I was satisfied with the number of wraps/appearance overall. I am not an expert at bucktails but a long time ago when I tied some flies that was the way I did it (I am no expert and I know there are some here, just like fishing patience will reward you after all).
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

put your jig in a vise if you have one. tie your thread around the neck of the jig working back toward the hookshank. take your first color and get desired length and cut the forward end straight and neat. place the hair down on an angle to where you want it (holding the bucktail up and the tying end down on the jig. make a loose wrap around the bucktail working forward and after three turns start to tighten up on the bodkin working the thread forward toward the eye. you can fix the hair placement easier after several turns as you go. hope this is not confusing as i tend to have bad grammar. after you do the first section take a pic and let me see what you've done. use mono thread or white/chartreuse. that dark thread looks hideous. if you must use it, take some red nail polish and color it red. but after a while you will have some serious jigs my friend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRuncities View Post
well, i got myself a lead pot from a friend and some molds so i figured i would give it a try. they aren't pretty, but it could be worse i suppose. my problem is that when i am tying them, the threads seem to shift a bit, which isnt a big deal except i was trying for certain placement on the Pink/Chartreuse on each bucktail and they just shifted out of place. Any ideas?

Yes. Throw them into a school of migrating Stripers. They don't look the best but they are definitely usable. And use the comments above to help you in the future for a longer lasting jig. Some of the ugliest, beat plugs kill the Bass.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 PM

thanks everyone :) I just made due with what i had lying around mostly, explains the thread :P

sometime soon ill make another and take some pics along the way, utilizing some of the tips i got here. i think if i take my time on it, it will come out 100x better