Bridge Fishing - Seacoast, NH - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Hampshire
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Hampshire New Hampshire striped bass fishing discussion & reports

Old 07-24-2008, 06:19 PM

Default Bridge Fishing - Seacoast, NH

Hey all,

This is my first time posting on this forum and I was just looking for some good information about fishing off the bridges and shores of Seacoast NH near Little Bay and the Piscataqua River.

I am using 20lb line and have been fishing off the General Sullivan Bridge with a fish-finding rig with 3 or 4 ounce sinkers because of the strong currents. I have tried all different times of the day but have only caught 1 striper ~ 24" and it was about an hour after high tide. The conditions were overcast.

Is there a trend with fishing for stripers in this region (Slack tide, Before/After Low tide or High tide)? I have been using cut up herring and it just seems to be a crap shoot. I'd like to maximize my time by knowing when the best times to go are. The one I caught was right before sunset at about 8:30.

I'd love to hear all info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Bridge Fishing - Seacoast, NH

2 hours before high/ eat a sandwich and have a beer on slack/ 2-3 hours of outgoing. sometimes fish will show on dead low so it is anybody's guess at that area as i don't fish that area as somebody who does will give you a better idea on what to do. if you are chunking bait with a fishfinder rig you should have a decent amount of weight to hold bottom for one/ two - you ought to use a circle hook if you are fishing off a bridge imo, but learn to fish this hook properly and not try and cross the fish's eyes. three/ fresh bait is a must. four/ it is difficult enough to fish off a high structure but it is also difficult to detect a bite when your rod is not in your hand so hold it while you are fishing with it. you may or may not have a baitrunner reel but if not you should be opening the bail and holding the line between your fingers with one finger guiding the line on the spool to prevent it from coming undone off the spool. this technique is critical to letting the fish pick up the bait and run with it just for that few milliseconds before closing the bail and rearing up on the rod ever so gently and letting the fish hook himself. there is also the technique of casting out and letting the line droop and not reeling in excees and while the line tightens from the hit just let the weight of the fish get himself hooked. either way you are in a position to do just a little better than the next guy who will wait a year and a day for a fish to get hooked all on her lonesome. give this a try and see what results you can have. your angle with a fish up high on a bridge or pier is fine as the fish is hooked at say a 20 or 30 degree angle however this changes to more of a 45 degree angle as the fish is reeled closer to the structure. the J hook is now opened up a slightly larger hole in her jaw throughout the fight and however slight it may be, a fish on it;s side will roll and shake it;s head and as it is at this angle where the hook is now ready to come out from any one of the fish's struggling maneuvers it is when your pressure on the fish needs to be constant and not letting him get the upper hand. you need to start to learn how to fish braid as it is not popular with other anglers in this venue but will horse a fish if need be as you can't allow a fish to take you into the pilings or behind the supports of said structure. more to come i am sure as questions will be abound

Old 07-26-2008, 11:30 AM

So far what you said is sort of what I have observed on my own! Avoid the slack tides. I am not using circle hooks, and am a little unsure of what they are.

Is there a better way to keep the bait on the hook? I find myself re-loading every few minutes or so. Somebody suggested thread on a different post.

IYO, is the fishing better before or after the slack? I have found fishing an hour after the slack to be ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Official Member

Circle hooks look like this:
http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/octo_circle.htm

There is good info in a couple threads down from this on circle hooks. Basically you do not have to set the hook hard due to the shape of it.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:49 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Just curious, are there other spots to fish? I always spread my action around, it seems more productive. To me anyhow.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 PM

I have heard of spots across the bay but I have not heard much praise for them. Maybe they just want to keep it for themselves

Other than that, I am new to striper fishing and that is the only spot that I have tried. I landed one a few weeks back so that was enough motivation to keep me coming back.

Do you know of any other areas?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Veteran Elite

Try a 1-3 oz jighead with a 8inch gulp sandworm or a white grubtail depending on the current. Fish at night. You want to cast against the current. Cast out as far as possible and leave your bail open until the jig hits the bottom. Then retrieve slowly off the bottom twitching your rod. If this doesn't produce off the bridge I'll be amazed. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:16 PM

Where do you buy these gulp sandworms at? I have been using Herring... found out that you cant cast too well with it!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Veteran Elite

Dicks has them along with the jig heads. Make sure you get the 8 inch. If they only have the 6 inch leave them there. They are too skinny to hook on the jigs. Also try the natural and the blood red. These are the colors that seem to work best. Let me know if you give it a shot. Good luck
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperTrooper View Post
So far what you said is sort of what I have observed on my own! Avoid the slack tides. I am not using circle hooks, and am a little unsure of what they are.

Is there a better way to keep the bait on the hook? I find myself re-loading every few minutes or so. Somebody suggested thread on a different post.

IYO, is the fishing better before or after the slack? I have found fishing an hour after the slack to be ideal.
historically the fishing from bridges and piers have been better on the outgoing. in some cases it;s the other way around depending on which way the tide is coming in and from which direction. this is a reason to keep a log if you intend to fish these structures on a regular basis. as far as bait on your hook> well, if you are fishing fresh bait you should be changing it every 10 minutes as it is my opinion but crabs/lobsters/bluefish/skates/and an abundance of other pia thieves congregate around that particular area and will make matters worse for bait fishing. i have witnessed everything from rigging bait like they were trolling for billfish to rubber bands etc but if you filet the bait and weave it on the hook it will stay on longer and the fluttering effect it imparts will gain more strikes/ this will not solve the problem of stolen bait but will give you a little more time in the water to produce a bite. you will use more bait but will be pleasantly surprized.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 AM

Thank you for that! When you say filet the bait, do you mean filet it as one would filet a fish for eating, essentially cutting it in half the long way?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

yes, not the entire fish but slice a short 4-5 inch filet off the fish by the tail and then you cut the remainder of the filet with the bone cutting off the tail as second bait. filet the rest of the fish the same. a bunker should net 4 filets and a head for bait. a mack. will get more;

Old 08-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Lunker

Check out the KTP Fishing report this week. It mentions a couple bridges.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
historically the fishing from bridges and piers have been better on the outgoing. in some cases it;s the other way around depending on which way the tide is coming in and from which direction. this is a reason to keep a log if you intend to fish these structures on a regular basis. as far as bait on your hook> well, if you are fishing fresh bait you should be changing it every 10 minutes as it is my opinion but crabs/lobsters/bluefish/skates/and an abundance of other pia thieves congregate around that particular area and will make matters worse for bait fishing. i have witnessed everything from rigging bait like they were trolling for billfish to rubber bands etc but if you filet the bait and weave it on the hook it will stay on longer and the fluttering effect it imparts will gain more strikes/ this will not solve the problem of stolen bait but will give you a little more time in the water to produce a bite. you will use more bait but will be pleasantly surprized.
use the circle hooks. they stop bait from falling off. or just use different bait such as clams, sandworms or eels because bluefish like the hearing and when you loose your bait it could just be being bit off by snapper blues and cunners
Old 08-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i like circle hooks with clams.
with chunk bait you could pull it out of the mouth.
unless you are putting on a filet of bait. anything in the way of that barb i steer clear "unless you want to catch bluefish then it won't matter"
just a prefference mind you. it still catches in most cases but by that i mean most and not always trust me. in the fall if i ever decide to chunk bait for some reason, i will take pics of different applications on several hooks to make a sticky for the beginner clinic.