Wood Turning 101 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 11-09-2007, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Default Wood Turning 101

I was doing a internet search trying to figure out how to convert the cup shaped dead center on my tail stock to a live center. I struck out, but I did come across the link below. I thought it was good, and might help someone looking to try making a few plugs. I especially liked it for the OSHA approved lathe and the attire of the instructor. The lathe used is not that much older than the one I use. It keeps turning wood so I keep using it, but one of these days I'm going to have to break down and get something more modern.

http://sawdustmaking.com/Woodturning/intro.htm
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Wood Turning 101

What are you running for a lathe???? it should be a simple matter of knocking out the dead center out of your tail stock and replacing it with a #2 or #1 MT live center...
Old 11-09-2007, 12:41 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
What are you running for a lathe????
Ain't she a beauty?
Attachment 3732
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I'll keep my Turncrafter..... Old stuff is cool though... as long as you can get the job done....Some one PM'd me earlier this week about a lathe just like that on Craigs list.

I've rid myself of all my antique and home made tools( except my spinner), they got the job done but at the expense of my patients.... having modern tools not only is much safer, it is much more efficient...

I had a home made lathe for years, it worked, I built lots of plugs with it... I had an old, variable speed table saw ( changing the belts changed the speeds) it was more trouble than it was worth.... I had a small drill press... it was all but worthless except for the smallest of chores... I had a home made dust collector, I made it from scrounged parts from work.... messy, but better than nothing.... shop vac didnt cut it....In all reality, I've been building my shop for over 30 years, replacing one thing or a few things at a time... Now It's as good as I could want it to be, for a non comercial shop...Safe, clean and effeceint...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM
First Mate

Yup. I hear ya.

I ended up picking up the lathe a couple years ago with a bandsaw, scroll saw and a 6" wide belt sander at a yard sale. When I saw them, I wasn't sure how much I was going to use either one. The price was right, so into the back of the truck they went. I'm always using the bandsaw and belt sander and don't know how I got along without them. I never use the scroll saw, so that's collecting dust. And the lathe, I'm using more and more, so i think that's the first to get upgraded. That's not mine on Craigs list, but if the person that PM'ed you wants to try one before he buys, they are welcome to make wood chips with mine.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:10 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Buying at a yard sale is a great way to start, I use my scroll saw all the time, it's great for cutting lexan patterns and doing hand carved cut outs...that way I leave the 1/2" blade in the band saw...