sand flea - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 08-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Default sand flea

what would be a good lure to use when bass are feeding on sand fleas?? they where spitting them up last nite in the morning the beach was loaded with them,managed to cacth a few on a surfster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0850.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	7536  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2008, 10:45 AM

Default Re: sand flea

I dunno I guess its like when rain fish are around. Whats gonna mach them. A bucktail?
Old 08-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

shoulda taken a floating plug and made 2 or 3 dropper loops and drifted some of them (if you could get some? look for large clumps of newly formed seaweed and you will find the moley;s.) live mole crabs in this situation (even frozen ones) woulda gotten you some fish as it is all about what they are feeding on. ideally, a crab pattern imitation teaser would have been the way to go with the surfster> somebody is not paying attention to zim when it comes to teasers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 PM

teasers and bucktails the two things i didn't have i haven't used a teaser in years.i'll be doing some searches today.thanks.
rainfish are the reason i'm bald
Old 08-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

are you in so. jersey by chance?

Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 PM

suffolk co. long island.
what color pattern would go with a sand flea??they looked green/tan,maybe a brown/white bucktail.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

storm sells a small pearl shad in an inch size. i got these for just that reason. i actually cut the tail off the shad and took some pearl siliskin and laminated the shad 3 times and added some sili legs for antenai and legs. unlike the blueclaw or any other crab (besides horseshoe) they walk backwards. so stripping it forward and pause would be good if there were nothing about otherwise to eat. a bucktail would not imitate one of these as they don;t bounce off the bottom but move very slowly. they also don't have pincers like crabs but have antennai that trap food.they have 5 pairs of legs, they get to be about an inch long at best.
You can find mole crabs by digging a hole in the sand at the very edge of the wash from the waves. Allow water to enter the hole, and swish it around.You should see mole crabs darting through the water before they quickly burry themselves in the sand.
The eyes of the mole crab are on slender, white, hair-width stalks. you can find out by holding one in your hand and watching which direction the crab moves which end is the front the front end is the end to the rear of the direction of motion. Also, the largest and strongest pair of legs is at the front end
With the wash of the incoming waves at their back side, these crabs collect organic matter and very small creatures for food as the water rushes back down the beach over them. Between tides, they dig into the sand to hide from the shorebirds who would eat them (larger crabs and fish also make meals of them). Sometimes on Assateague beach, you'll see fishermen gathering mole crabs for bait with meshed wire nets attached to poles

Old 08-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

tan hackle and some orange flashabou or even chennile or estaz for the belly as the bass key in on them as they have eggs in the early summer months and the egg sac is a bright orange. maybe a mottled tan or pale short feather on top or even tie in a piece of body braid for the convex shape and epoxy with some pearl sili skin on top / the best time to fish that pattern is at the top of the tide or at the very bottom of the outgoing as as soon as the waterline hits slack this is when thy come out as they follow the tideline and stay in the wet sand burried there and the bass will literally come right up on the beach after them. seems the bass know that they come out of the sand into the seaweed as this is the best opportunity to feed better than just letting the water of the outgoing surf give em what they can get. so a floating merkin crab pattern could be killer on those weedy days in close and even though the moley's only freely swim about in the winter months in the water the bass can be fooled by them as they readily feed on them on the migration south in the carolinas in winter.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:56 PM

thanks i'll try the shad,i tryed to get a teaser,when i asked the guy in the flie shop looked at me like i was a nut.i did pick up a few sand eel and spearing teasers.thanks again
Old 08-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

looked at you like a nut cause any fly you use is a teaser. if you wanna match anything you can readily find them in the fly shop. a fly is a glorified teaser. will actually work better than a plain teaser will as you can change your fly on the dropper to suit your needs ie; deceiver/minnow/bunker/etc. the dropper is an anchor for fly's as you can tie a small leader on the fly with a perfection loop on it/ and loop to loop the fly on your mainline as to be able to change fly's and or teaser patterns accordingly. so even though it is a fly it is just as (if not better than) productive as a teaser (which for all intensive purpose is a fly) if you were to use them live - Hook a sand flea on the hook such that the sand flea will be pulled side ways by the line.
Hook the sand flea toward the head such that its orange belly (egg pouch) will not be kept shut by the hook. Make sure that the flea’s shell is hard and that the hook’s barb is just barely through the shell. Keeping the hook minimally through the flea will reduce the hook getting caught up in seaweed and rocks