Tips from the shore? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Official Member

Exclamation Tips from the shore?

Hi everyone this is my first post on here. My name is Matt and this is my second year out stiper fishing and I usually fish the Kingston area. I'm currently putting in LOTS of time on a stretch of private land that lies between Ulster Landing park, and Charles Ryder park with some friends of mine. I have done tons of research on techniques on how to improve my chances and it has definitely helped but I'm actually struggling more this year than last year. I built my own scap net this year which helped the first few outings immensely. However the past few times have been really rough trying to get bait in that spot. I landed one so far this year around 30 inches, oddly enough on a cold rainy day. My poles have seen 3 other fish in the many hours spent on the river all caught by friends who needed their first fish. I'm here looking for some tips or advice on how to improve my chances on catching more fish. I have had my Fiance out with me several times but unfortunately none of those times we caught fish. I really want her to feel the adrenaline that courses through your veins when you catch a striper. I'm not looking to spot burn anyone here I'm just hoping someone can lead me in the right direction to a better spot. I've primarily fished for large mouth and small mouth bass my whole life. Nothing beats hooking up with one of these bad boys though. If anyone would be kind enough to take me under their wing that'd be great. I'm here looking to make some friends even to possibly tag along with to help me and my Fiance to have a better experience out there. I know everything about the lakes around here for bass fishing, the lures and baits, and do quite well every year. Two years ago I actually pulled two back to back 5 lb largemouths out of the Ashokan Resevoir it was awesome. However in this game of catching stripers out of the mighty hudson it has been rough and I could really use a helping hand.

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.martin.3705

all my fishing pics and what not ^^^^^^^^^

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Tips from the shore?

I think it's probably a matter of water temp more than anything. I was spending a lot of time fishing and couldn't understand why I wasn't catching fish. All of a sudden I've caught fish my last two times out. They seemed to be very finicky in the cold water and not taking the bait on any kind of long runs. The warmer weather has definitely made them more aggressive where I'm fishing. Its going to be 80 the next couple days. I can't think of a better time to go out.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Striper Hunter

I know I'll be out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Striper Hunter

Those long empty hours are where the real adrenaline rush comes from. When the reel goes off you know how special it is; when you get one ashore, you know how blessed you are!

The reports from Kingston haven't been very strong--you may simply be on par for the area. If you are bound and determined to fish a new spot, get on Google maps (satellite view) and find a likely place. Maybe you'll find a public place where you can get bait easily, then hit your private spot, or fish right there.

Are you fishing different tides and different times? Fishing on private land has a nice ring to it, although night/pre-dawn fishing might not work for the land owner....

Dig in, gird up your loins, keep it up. By my count you've got 4 fish...it could definitely be worse. It can be tough going from shore...some smart alec will probably advise you to get a boat, but you're definitely in the game.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Tyee

Buddy I fish only from a boat and have for the past 5 years and I'm scratching my heAd, 11 times out n by times I mean days, hole days I've only gotten two fish, I've been throwing everything at em and notta, I guess if we caught the shit out of them every time it would get boring, but, I would like to know what that feels like lol, till then I'll keep on keepin on , good luk