1st timer - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Default 1st timer

lll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 AM

Default Re: 1st timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thept View Post
Hi all, Just recently introduced myself here. I am new to striper fishing and am thinking about going out this Sat. for the 1st time. Thinking about going somewhere in between newport RI to Westerly CT

Any one else going out this weekend?

And any tips on what to use for bait this time of season or what to look for?

I was thinking of maybe the Charlestown breachway and using clams on one rig and a lure on the other rig

Any tips appreciated

Good luck. You're too far away, or I'd join you! One little bit of opinion from me though. I'd fish your lures, and if those aren't working, switch to bait. I wouldn't do both at the same time myself. I know a lot of guys do, but if you're not attending your bait rig (have it in a spike or such), you can either miss fish or deep hook them. Hungry schoolies can inhale a chunk of clam pretty quick, and you'd hate to deep hook one and have to let it die. That's just my two cents. Good luck and I hope you have a great first season!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Hi all, Just recently introduced myself here. I am new to striper fishing and am thinking about going out this Sat. for the 1st time. Thinking about going somewhere in between newport RI to Westerly CT

Any one else going out this weekend?

And any tips on what to use for bait this time of season or what to look for?

I was thinking of maybe the Charlestown breachway and using clams on one rig and a lure on the other rig

Any tips appreciated

I agree with SpringWater here man, if ur going out for ur first time keep it as simple as possible, switch up between artificials and bait or ur gonna give yourself major headaches. It may be a little early in the season for clams as well as the stripers are chasing and primarily feeding on baitfish headed up the coast. Stick to chunk herring/mackerel and artificials that mimic these baits for best results. Worms can also be effective early in the season. Switch to clams and eels (especially effective at night around structure in the water) as the season moves on. Good luck, hope some of this helped.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Welcome Thept! I definitely agree with Will and Springwater - would probably go with one or the other, not both at the same time. This year I have had some success with artificails, as well as sandworms and clams. Good luck and let us know how you do!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb12 View Post
Welcome Thept! I definitely agree with Will and Springwater - would probably go with one or the other, not both at the same time. This year I have had some success with artificails, as well as sandworms and clams. Good luck and let us know how you do!

I'm not saying NEVER fish both at the same time, but your first time out, hell your first season for that matter, I'd stick to one or the other. I fish a few spots that accomodate dead sticking and plugging at the same time, but remember that with that comes double your chances for line tangles and other problems ya may encounter. It takes a LOT of patience and putting ur time in to get on these fish, do urself a favor and stick to the basics and gradually work your way up to multiple poles, different/more complex set-ups etc.......Good luck out there, hope ya slay 'em this year.

StriperHyper ~ Will

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Striper Hunter

nnn
Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Just a few questions.

1. Any one know of any bait shops in RI where I can get the chunk bait?
2. When I attach the mono leader to my swivel with my chunk bait do I need to add anything to keep it up off the bottom?
3. Should I be concerned with the tides? Where I am going the high tide is around 9:20 am and so I was thinking of getting my line wet around 7 am and fishing a couple hours on both sides of the high tide.

Thanks

1) Not familiar with the area in R.I. but any bait shop in the area will carry herring and/or mackerel.....whole that is, ya gotta cut 'em into chunks yourself.

2) Monofilament leader will work fine but pick yourself up a spool of fluorocarbon, much lower visability in the water which will lead to more strikes and subsequently more fish. When ur using chunk bait or clam your best bet is to let it sit on bottom. You'll wanna use between a 4 and a 6 oz. pyramid sinker with a slide on it (I use a swivel as opposed to a sinker slide but to each their own) The purpose of using the slider is to defer the tension on your line so when a fish grabs your bait and runs off with it the weight will slide up ur line and the fish won't feel the extra weight. When fishing with sandworms I to use a float, attached to ur leader a couple inches up from your hook, to keep it off bottom and away from crabs etc.

3) Tides are a very important factor, especially if ur deadsticking off a beach. I usually go out an hour or two before high tide and fish at LEAST a couple hours of the outgoing. Smaller baitfish will follow the tide in in search of an easy meal and the stripers are right behind them doing the same. As the tide receeds it takes with it all that washed ashore making it an easy ambush point for larger fish to sit and wait.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 05-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Striper Hunter

fff
Old 05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Official Member

I found out that this sinker holds better to the bottom in curent then egg,pyramid..and is easy to pry out if you get stuck...
Attached Images