Couple hours on the Merrimack tonight - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Official Member

Default Couple hours on the Merrimack tonight

Hi all.
This is my first post so please, be kind!
I have never caught any kind of salt water fish.
I actually have a couple hours to get down t the riverside tonight and try to coax some stripers out of the water. I have an 8 foot rod that I bought from the shop just for this purpose and a couple of white sluggos. I am in Haverhill and don't have all night but I can stay out from 6 to 9 or so.

Now, I know that there is a lot of info about catching these things and I have been trying to read all that I can about it but I would LOVE some advice from people who have been doing this.

Where on my part of the river can I go to have the best chance to catch one of these beasties? Will I do well with the white sluggo or should I get some clams or sea worms and use those? Something else? Are those times going to be good times to fish for stripers?

Thanks

Grumpy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Re: Couple hours on the Merrimack tonight

As far as where on the river you should fish I'm not exactly sure and others will be more than hesitant to give away there good spots. All I can say is look for structure. Yea you can catch Stripers way out in the middle of the open water but fish around structure and you'll be good to go. The absolute best bait you can use (especially in the location you will be fishing) is live eels!

If you really want to catch a fish or two then live eels is the way to go. As far as time of day.....I have no clue when high tide is for that area but most guys generally like to fish an hour or two before high tide all the way until a couple of hours after high tide. But seeing that you will be fishing a river, you might have luck all around the clock...I really don't know.....it all depends on one thing: Location.

Check out this link about using eels:

https://www.stripers247.com/striperfishingeels.htm
Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 PM

i'm staying the weekend at salisbury beach and am thinking of trying this live eel method. how long will they live in a bucket? and should the water be cold? are they tempermental like freshwater shiners or are they durable? also, where do you hook them? sorry for sounding cluless but this is my second trip to the big pond. thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
how long will they live in a bucket? and should the water be cold?
Name:  trysearch.gif
Views: 187
Size:  1.4 KB
Search Query
Keeping eels

Welcome aboard gentlemen
Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

It's probably already in that article which Jim posted but I don't have time to read it 'cause I'm at work but:

If you put the eels in sitting water they will die....you need to have oxygen for them. But.....they can live outside of water for a long ass time. Here's what I used to do:

I'd put a bunch of those refreezable ice pack things inside of a small igloo cooler (the type construction workers bring to work) and on top I'd put a towel. Then just put the eels on top and they'll go right to sleep. When your ready to fish you might think the eels are dead but they aren't.....hook them while they're still "dead". Once they hit the water they come back to life. Some other things.....make sure they don't drown in their own slime.....if you use real ice instead of the icepack method make sure they don't drown in the water when it melts. Hope this info helps....I''m no expert but I've learned a thing or two from the people on this site.

And I just clicked that link and either it's not working or the computer I'm on is all jacked up

Last edited by MASSfisher0311; 06-20-2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: .....
Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Official Member

Well, I took my new rod and my 9" white Sluggo out and cast along the rocks next to the walkway from the old dry cleaner to the inlet at the river st. / grovland st. lights. Nothing. I was out from about 1900 to 2030. I was going to throw the seaworms that I got last week but they had shuffled off their mortal coil in my fridge. besides, I hate trowing and waiting in a place that I don't know if fish will be there. Rgar's how I fish for trout. It works but I pretty much know where those guys will be.

Speaking of trout:

Are there any other fish in my part of the Merrimac? I guess herring come in and out with the tide right? Or Shad or some other damn thing (How do you guys know what fish in "in"?). Are there Carp? What do they eat? Are there "regular" fresh water fish in there like trout and LMB/SMB or is this part of the river to fast and preditor-filled for them?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

The Mac covers alot of ground in Haverhill.... to a point where the water is no longer tidal..The striper fishing in that stretch of the river will be winding down very soon...

In the spring, there are stripers, shad and herring... you will also find an abundance of white catfish, brown bullheads and carp.. some very large ones at that, some pushing the 40lb class.... These fish stay in residence pretty much all year

there are also small and largemouth bass in stretches of the river... actually, the Merrimack has just about any species of fish that swims in the state waters..

I've caught, Large and small mouth bass, black and white crappies,yellow and white perch ( there is usually a good early spring run on those), brown brook and rainbow trout as well as steel head,shad and stripers, Atlantic salmon frequent these waters as well but must be returned to the water alive, I have also caught several walleyes and a 18lb northern pike from the water below the Lawrence dam...

For carp, pre bait the waters with caned corn, I found the Green giant brand to be the best... the day you plan to fish, chum with corn, a size 4 hook on a fish finder with a few kernels of corn should put you in the game, I also mix a concoction of grape soda and dry oatmeal and Italian bread crumbs, I make small dough balls with these and the carp love them...

BTW.. the white sluggo is a good choice, also try natural eel colors, in deeper water fish them on a jig head...

good luck
Roc
Old 06-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
BTW.. the white sluggo is a good choice, also try natural eel colors, in deeper water fish them on a jig head...

good luck
Roc
Thanks man. So, I know that you are the Eel Guru and all but are Sluggos supposed to be eels? I though that they were supposed to be baitfish? I am confused. Again.

On a totlay unrelated note: why the heck is this smiley here? Of all things in the world an M.P.? I support it 100% and thank you for supporting you Military Law Enforcement!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Official Member

Quote:
....I've caught, Large and small mouth bass, black and white crappies,yellow and white perch ( there is usualy a good early spring run on those), brown brook and rainbow trout as well as steel head,shad and stripers, atlantic salmon frequent these waters as well but must be returned to the water alive, I have also caught several walleyes and a 18lb northern pike from the water below the Lawrence dam.......
All this below the dam?
Where? Past the 495 bend or in the tidal part?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:01 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

sluggo's are kind of like a rubber needle fish, they represent, or should I say, can represent a variaty of baits, from eels to sand eels to spike mackerel to even finger mullet.... the mere fact that the LOOK like something to eat makes them a deadly bait.. still hard to beat the real deal!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Official Member

Quote:
...still hard to beat the real deal!
I know but theres the slime and the bucket and the ice and the teeth and the slime and I suck and the cost and in the end I'd be paying a lot of money to get the chance to have my line fouled, bash eels on rocks and, in the end, kill or repatriate a bunch of slimy, snakey, disgusting critters to the Mighty Mac.

Where would you hook one of those bad-boys any way? Then what? Live line 'em? Sinker and slider for them?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:46 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
I know but theres the slime and the bucket and the ice and the teeth and the slime and I suck and the cost and in the end I'd be paying a lot of money to get the chance to have my line fouled, bash eels on rocks and, in the end, kill or repatriate a bunch of slimy, snakey, disgusting critters to the Mighty Mac.

Where would you hook one of those bad-boys any way? Then what? Live line 'em? Sinker and slider for them?

your a funny dude with a way with words

hook 'em right through both lips toss him out and retrieve slowly...if you use the other options you may end up in the insane assylum.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Young salt

Hey grumpy, been reading ur posts and figured I'd throw my .2 cents in. I've asked many of the same questions you're asking now in regards to keeping them alive, cost, storage etc.......summed up, it's ALL part of the hunt my man. I reccomend if you're only going out for a couple/few hours and you're worried about cost, just get a 1/2 dozen and either a bait bucket or small cooler (even a cheapy styrofoam would work in ap inch*sp??*, though I'd go with a real cooler 'cause it can be used over and over again) with a few ice packs. I've fished rivers here in Maine many times, day and night with a dozen eels between 2 of us without many problems. You already know how slimy and hard to handle they are, especially right out of the tank when their full of piss and vinegar. Their metabolism is slowed down considerably after a short period on ice and they become plenty "lifeless" enough to get a good grip on and give 'em a quick hook. I've always gone in between the eyes and out through bottom lip and they tend to stay on well and keep lively for awhile. If you're just fishing them in the river, I wouldn't even bother with weights, sliders, sinkers or any of that. The weight of the eel should allow you to cast far enough out depending on the width of the river and you can always add 1-2 oz. egg sinkers as needed. Leave the slider at home, when a striper hits it, trsut me, you'll know it. First you'll feel a slight "tap" when the fish swats it's prey to stun it and then it should devour it head first within a few seconds after that. The only thing I'd bring is plenty of rags and the longest pair of needle nose pliers you can find 'cause that eel is gonna be at LEAST halfway in her belly by the time you get it in. Hope some of this helped and good luck to you........remember patience is your best friend in the big pond.

StriperHyper ~ Will