Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

who fishes Chesapeake Bay?

6K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  LittleMiamiJeff 
#1 ·
Kicking around the idea of bringing my kayak to MD, visiting kids and spending at least one day on Chesapeake Bay.
They are in Bel Air, No. of Baltimore.
I understand Stripers spawn in the Chesapeake in Spring, when would be best time to yak fish stripers in upper Chesapeake, Havre De Grace, or where would you recommend?
Thanks
Jeff

#2 ·
summer and fall would be best in a yak. right now the stripers are mainly in the rivers, which would be perfect for you, most are schoolies between 18" +23", but theres some big ones migrating in. you could launch at the gunpowder hammermam ramp and fish the river or launch at rocky pt. and fish back river and miller island, both those ares have been good lately.If you launch some where farther south, you would have a better chance of getting a migrant. In the spring most people troll for the cows because they are spread out and not schooled, so it would be tough in a yak. the susquahana flats would be a good thing to try during the catch and release season in march, you would have to be careful because it gets crowded with power boats

#3 ·
Thanks, Sam,
The Susquehanna flats, where river comes in to bay?
I checked out the MD dnr site, looks like non-res. fees aren't too steep.
Getting out there this fall is not going to happen, what's the March c&r season look like for yak fishing?
Jeff

#5 ·
Not true! The yankees have more folks contributing to the posts, and were sucking wind down here.

Some of us fish the Potomac and the bay. I prefer the river over the bay. Less charter bozo's trying to pinch you off your spot. More "skinny water" fish to be had. And I don't need to drag a bunch of crap behind the boat to catch them!

A little farther for you to travel, but a saltwater lic is cheap if you get about and hour south. If want to get hooked up with another yaker, go to the local site below and look for l1ranger on the site posts. I believe he yaks down near the 301 bridge crossing the Potomac?

http://www.potomacriver.cjb.net/

#6 ·
Thanks, Mike,
I'll have to wait to next spring/summer to get to MD, around my son's HS graduation.
How's the striper action in the upper Chessy late May/early June?
Or, I could shoot south, north, hour or so either way.
Son and I went to Ocean City MD couple of years ago, Stripers of coast late May/June?
I think from what I've learned here, the "cows" are farther north by that time.
Happy Thanksgiving, we have more than we don't!
Jeff

PS: need to install ActiveX controls to view site you recommended, Was'up with that?

#7 ·
nu2stripers said:
Thanks, Sam,
The Susquehanna flats, where river comes in to bay?
I checked out the MD dnr site, looks like non-res. fees aren't too steep.
Getting out there this fall is not going to happen, what's the March c&r season look like for yak fishing?
Jeff
...I,ve honestly only fished the flats c&r season a few times, and never had much luck. But I,ve heard some days can be really good with lots of fish upto 50lbs or bigger. I think you could have a big advantage with the stealth of a yak. I know theres a good amount of people with yaks fish it.

#8 ·
The bay has smoe schooling action for the smaller fish at that time unless you get further up into the rivers. Resident fish up there tend to be larger. Potomac at that time has resident topwater bite early and late during June.

Some sites require X controls to function properly. XP will let you monitor which sites ask for these controls and allow you a choice to either hook in or not. Need to turn them on with med security.

#9 ·
Fishing the lower bay

My son and I fish the lower Chesapeake Bay. Mainly around the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel and Cape Henry. Since we only fish for the big boys we haven't gotten any yet. This year it is slow as was last year. We are going out tomarrow but I think it will be a nice ride. It has not gotten cold enough up north for the big boys to be here. I did not even see any menhadden.

#10 ·
I fish the chesepeake and live right on it. If you know where the bay bridge is, that about a mile from my house on whitehall bay (south of it) I right now just fish the creek's and whatnot, as most of the big bad boys have gone. I fish Magothy, theres good spots in there, and whitehall bay also has its nice spots including 200 square foot submerged field of concrete slabs thats excellent for perch and rockfish. Right now casting IMO is the way to go, although people are trolling, and someone caught a 45 pounder just 2 weeks ago. Im not familiar fishing anywhere else really except a few select spots in ocean city, but the magothy is one place where you can look for spots that look good, bring a couple tsunami shads and divers, and catch fish. Nightime fishing isnt bad either, a friend went out from 11:00PM to 3:00AM and caught between two people I think 8-9 rock total (not all were keepers, I thinkt they kept 1 each out of 4-5 keepers)

#11 ·
We went out yesterday and fished around the first Island of the CBBT and at that area they were fishing for schoolies. We caught one and threw it back.
We proceed out to fish around Cape Henry. We marked some bait fish and
and a few striper. We did not catch any. We think it is to early for them to be here. It has not been cold enough up north for them to come this way.
Oh we heard a bunch of lies on the radio about catching fish but every where we saw boats no one was pulling anything in. I guess when it gets slow the fisherman like to lie and entice others to their area to share there "great" fishing.
We have our own spots to fish that will produce when the fish are in this area. Hopefully they will be here soon.

#13 ·
Welcome to the site dav welcome.gif
Big Rockfish time for you guys now. They passed us up on the surf line here this fall. Hope to get out for a few more large scragglers though. Enjoy the site. :)

#15 ·
Can you fish from susquahana state park?

or is that on top of the dam?

I really want to try fishing the bay.

EDIT: FOund answer:

"Features:
The facility offers a boat launch, campfire programs, campsites, cross-country skiing, fishing, flat water canoeing, hiking trails, historic interest, pet trail, picnicking, pavilions, playground, riding trails, bow hunting area and archery range.

* Fishing--Susquehanna State Park has direct access to the river where, depending on the season, anglers can improve their skills while catching striped bass as well as large and small mouth bass. The annual shad and herring runs in early spring are an awesome sight. Perch, catfish and carp are also in abundance in the Susquehanna. The river, from the Conowingo Dam to the mouth where it empties into the Chesapeake Bay, is tidal water. The Chesapeake Bay Sports Fishing License (tidal license) is required in order to fish this portion of the Susquehanna River. Fishing in Deer Creek requires a non-tidal fishing license."

Anyone ever do it with success?

#17 ·
Cheasapeake

I hit the Susky Flats for the spring C&R season, last couple of years have been rough due to weather being crappie when I'm able to go down there. I'm fishing out of a 14' jon boat so I hafta watch the wind pretty close. Last year, I only nailed one out of 3 trips, but it was nice 41"er on a topwater...

#18 ·
Thanks for updates

Need to save this thread, for next spring/summer at son's grad. weekend.
I want to surprise him w/yak for grad. present, he wants a SIK, I'm going to try to arrange a trade w/retailer, I can get Old Towne canoe, or Otter twin from awards site.
I've had BPS do a trade before, not at that scale tho.
Merry Christmas, saw this on back of fence co. truck on way home today:
"Happy Jesus Day!"
Couldn't have said it better myself.......... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.