What type of epoxy for in-hull Transducer? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Official Member

Default What type of epoxy for in-hull Transducer?

Hello,
I purchased a Hawkeye FD1000D high speed depth gauge and I put the transducer puck in a bag of water and set it in the hull of my boat, it worked perfectly. I picked up some loctite two part Marine Epoxy and it has not worked since I glued it in. I pulled on the puck unit and to my surprise it popped loose and it is clean so I got one more chance to glue it down. The Norcross web site says this about epoxy type: "For most installations a viscous, slow-cure (15 minutes or greater), 2 Part, Clear Epoxy is the best adhesive". So this is why the grey colored marine epoxy didn't work but I can't find a clear epoxy, any ideas or recommendations on a particular brand/type would be very helpful?

Thanks

Mike [USMC Retired]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2006, 08:04 PM

doesnt have to say marine for it to be used in your boat. I use west system for all my epoxy needs. That marine stuff may be a partial weather sealant, and isnt bonding as well.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Official Member

I called West Systems today and I'm getting the 101-T refill kit that contains 6 individual packets of epoxy and hardener. Thank you for the info and I believe it will work this time.

Mike [USMC Retired]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM

Sorry, I missed this thread. I am the glue-ru...formulating adhesives for over 30 years.

Just a couple of things:

-Make sure all surfaces are clean...wipe with alcohol.
-Boats take a pounding. Use an adhesive that has a degree of flexibilty. It will better absorb these stresses.

Also, the material doesn't have to be clear...it has to be unfilled. Filler interferes with transmition. So an amber colored material is fine as long as it doesn't contain filler.

Two part epoxies or urethanes should work, providing you follow the above recommendations.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the problem is THE epoxy you used, it is grey when mixed, not translucient, I am very familuare with the brand as I use it for plug building, Tony DB is the man whenit comes to adhesives... heed his advise
Old 05-23-2006, 01:41 PM

Have you installed your transducer puck yet?

Couple more things if you haven't.

If the surface you are bonding is very smooth you can use sandpaper to ruffen the surface. This increases the surface area and therefore improves adhesion strength.

After cleaning both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol, you may want to wipe just the areas that you are adhereing with acetone. Acetone is a very agressive solvent. It will slightly attack the polyester. This will provide a better bite for the adhesive.

I can't stress enough how important it is for the bonding surfaces to be clean to obtain maximum adhesion.

When you mix the 2-parts together, try not to incorporate air while mixing. Sonar signals look for air pockets, in the case of fish, their air-bladder. Air in the adhesive will mess up your signal. Low viscosity adhesives will release air faster. One type of package that is available is a double-barreled syringe. The resin and hardener are in their seperate barrels. These packages are supplied air free. You simply attach a static mix-tube and dispense. The 2-parts are mixed air-free in the static mix tube upon dispensing.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Veteran

Make sure the puck is level with the water. Don't glue it at a angle. You want the beam to go straight down.