Getting back into the salt. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > New Member Introductions
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself to the members of Stripers247.com

Old 02-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Getting back into the salt.

I have been reading up on as much info as I can with the Winter break. I lived in NJ for 25 years and have since been living in PA for the last 10. I am looking to move back to South NJ and had myself a good year (minus the surf) off party boats and the the Wall in Pt Pleasant.

I upgraded my gear this winter, getting away from PENN. 7ft MH St Croix In shore with Quantum Cabo 50, still haven't spooled it up yet. I love the weight but it doesn't afford you much line if you use mono (225ft/12lb) which I have until now. Any suggestions? Added a Cabo 60 as well, can't wait to put them to work.

Anyways just a quick intro, I need to catch up on the 10 year break I took. Thanks ahead of time for the info and any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Getting back into the salt.

Use braid - problem solved.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Striper Hunter

The only problem is this set up is for charter/party boats and they don't want you using braid, they will put a 100 yard top shot on if you do.

If I go braid I know it'll be Sufix 832. So if I went with braid how much and what lb knowing I will have to have 100 yard mono on top (prob go with ~17 lbs mono)? I can experiment but hopefully someone might have run in to this and can help out. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 PM
First Mate

Maybe you should consider a conventional combo for PB fishing. That would give you ample mono capacity and would probably be better for party boat fishing than a spinning rig. Most party boats frown on casting anyway, since it can be a bit dangerous with so many people on board. That eliminates any advantage a spinning reel could give you. IMO, putting mono on top of braid defeats the purpose of having braid in the first place.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:05 AM
Striper Hunter

I thought most party boats were now allowing braid as too many people are now using it to have a no braid policy. Do us a favor, if any boats don't allow you to use braid this year, can you post that here?
Old 02-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Striper Hunter

I haven't talked to them directly since the season ended. I go off of the Cock Robin and saw them mention not to use braid on their FB and webpage updates.

CBB: I always carry my Avet SX set up with me when I go out as well. I've caught fish on both but sometimes the spinning set up wins out. Usually I'm throwing jigs but when we use bait I always switch over to conventional. I like to carry both in case of any failure like with my Penn Spinfisher SSG this past year.

I think I will shoot them an E-mail about using braid. Otherwise I may go ahead and spool up my new Cabo 50 with braid when I go from the Wall in Pt Pleasant or off the surf and use an older reel with mono for the boat if they are against using braid.

I am looking through posts now, what is an all around good lb braid for stripers/blues? I will be using Sufix 832.