Frustrated Newbie - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Frustrated Newbie

:help: Oh boy. I've been a fresh water fisherman all my life. Not great, but decent. We decided to buy a boat down here on Kent Island MD and I'm gonna be a salt water fisherman.....and man am I going to knock em dead! Well, I'm quite humble now. I read all the great info posted on this site, as well as all the info I could get from the locals, and I turn around and run out on a perfect early evening thinking, once again I'm gonna kick some booty, and I'm shut out again! I understand underwater structure (fresh water anyway), go to usual haunts out here on the bay, and just can't seem to get onto any fish. A lot of the experienced fisherman on this site were suggesting tubes and worms fished slow. I went out and dragged two lines: A bucktail and worm and slid off the shallows into the channel expecting to nail some bass on this lazy pre-summer evening on a fast out going tide expecting them to be heading into shallow water, only to get another hit to my confidence. Down here, they are saying that the tubes are out, and the bucktails and spoons are in. Not sure what it is like where you all fish, but we have natural sand worms and when they come out, the stripers fill up with them....not sure you'll catch them this time of year (obviously, I am repeating what I hear). Chumming is popular this time of year here, but I don't have the confidence that I am in 'the fish zone' to do that...not from what I have witnessed so far. I'm rambling here pretty good....just so damn flabergasted! We are in the in-between period here, from the best I can tell from what I read...stripers slowing down and the blues, flounder, croaker, etc not yet set up here. Suppose you were in my position. The bay is a big place. We have it all here: points, humps, shoal, sand, flats, etc. You name it. If you were relocated to an unfamiliar territory, what would your stratedgy be this time of year.....I just need to get some confidence back. I have been out only about 5 times and have tried many lures (sizes, colors, techniques, type, etc) and only managed to accidentally snag a small blue. Is there a good book out there that details striper habits? I really need to get educated in a hurry or I am going to go bananas. I have learned much from this site, and can't wait to try some...but until then, I'm just burning gas :-(.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2005, 10:15 PM

Hi Blodg

There is a book out called chesapeake Rockfish Volume 1 by Rich Novotny you can purchase it at this link on the bottom, left from amazon.com ( Our site gets a small % of the sale) Chesapeake stripers

I would talk to mikesexpress and jeff (singleT) they are very successfull down your way. Maybe you can read some of their posts. anyway. check this link for updated reports and tactics as well Reports in the bay
Old 06-22-2005, 09:13 AM
First Mate

try chunking.get near structure then cut a menhadens head and 3 in from tail off. then cut whats left into 1 in wide chunks. throw a few chunks out around your boat.then put a menhaden chunk(dont use the tail)on a hook and drift it, or put it on a fishfinder rig.throw chunks out occasionally.never tried it, but its in all the books. i myself fish freshwater stripers.hope it works.or you can jig.find some structure and drop down a bucktail w/ a pork skin heres a diagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 09:41 AM

Take a charter
Old 06-22-2005, 09:48 AM
First Mate

good idea
Old 06-22-2005, 10:04 AM

Andy now thats what I call art.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:18 AM

Welcome to the site blodg!!!

LOL stmn
Old 06-22-2005, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info. Striperjim, I saw the book in Boaters World but figured with all the great info on the web, why buy that! :wall: I think that I will now. I am also in tune with dnr's web page...anxiously await for every Wed. update. IN fact in today's update, it sounds like fishing is a little slow all over ( hit or miss might be the better term).

Just like every new endevour, there's a lot to learn. This site has been great (and the participants are terrific). They have already taught me about trolling tubes, not trusting the fish on my depth finder (which I was quite guilty of), jigging, etc. Just need to put it all together.

I really liked the idea of zig zagging when trolling....makes perfect sense and adds a bit of inconsistency to the lure action. When trolling, how do you determine your depth. I have tried a couple rigs, but am not sure if it makes sense. I tried smaller weights with a 3' leader, but the 250 doesn't want to go that slow and I don't want to tow a bucket. I have tried heavier weights. like 20 oz and then put on a 10' leader, but that puts the bait pretty close to the boat. How do y'all do it.

I hope for a good weekend to try some new things. I've been getting out mostly mid day, which probably isn't helping my cause.

Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:40 PM

need to find the depth of a rig?

http://www.lithosjigs.com/depthcalc.html
Old 06-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Veteran

I don't fish down that way,but you say
Quote...
Not sure what it is like where you all fish, but we have natural sand worms and when they come out, the stripers fill up with them....

I would think that when they are feeding on those sand worms that the tube and worm would work well. :huh: Maybe they just don't use them because they don't know a lot about them. :shrug:
Old 06-24-2005, 08:22 AM

K-Cube - Thanks for the site :wtg: Sometimes I make things more complicated than they really are....Makes perfect sense that it's just simple geometry! :doh: If I get around to trolling this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes....was planning on drift fishing some cut bunker around some structure

Sea Rider wrote:
Maybe they just don't use them because they don't know a lot about them.

Well, that would certainly be true in my case. But I probably did not phrase it well - The reports I hear is that they are filling up on the worms and won't take anything.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:52 AM

I suppose I will expose that I am a geek. I printed out the page from the web site that describes calculating the depth of the lure when trolling. Looking at it, I realized the equation is wrong(it's actually simpler), but yields the correct result.

I will e-mail the web site to let them know. FYI:

Their equation is:
lure depth = sin(angle of the line) * line scope / sin(90 deg)

The equation for sin is:

sin ( angle of the line ) = lure depth / line scope

Rearranging, you get:

lure depth = sin ( angle of the line) * line scope

I don't know where they got the extra term from (sin (90)), but it yields the correct result becuase, and I'm sure you know this, the sin of 90 =1
Old 06-24-2005, 12:55 PM

^^

What you siad about the fish filling up is true because for a while nobody was catching anything because of the sand worm migration, even tube and worming, though nt many around here do that anyways.