Getting frustrated, switch to freshwater tomorrow? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Getting frustrated, switch to freshwater tomorrow?

I never thought I would consider this during striper season but thinking of doing some freshwater instead of striper fishing tomorrow due to heavy rain, this is my 4th Tuesday in a row I took off for striper season and it's going to rain, we got skunked 4 of the 7 times we have been out and they see all during the rain or just following the rain.

I have not much experience with fishing in the rain for freshwater, you think Saratoga would be a better choice? If so, what's good to use in the rain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: Getting frustrated, switch to freshwater tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder36 View Post
I never thought I would consider this during striper season but thinking of doing some freshwater instead of striper fishing tomorrow due to heavy rain, this is my 4th Tuesday in a row I took off for striper season and it's going to rain, we got skunked 4 of the 7 times we have been out and they see all during the rain or just following the rain.

I have not much experience with fishing in the rain for freshwater, you think Saratoga would be a better choice? If so, what's good to use in the rain?
Striper fishing sucks when the water is muddy and high .... especially up north here ....... i haven't been out in 8 days

but .... i don't enjoy the river when it is so ugly and i don't catch much so i figure why bother

Really sucks because the fish are going to spawn soon .... over 50 fish by 5/5 and none since... who would have thunk that??
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Official Member

I was thinking of doing the same thing. This rain really sucks. I was thinking of hitting LG or Schroon lake this week if we do get the couple inches of rain they are calling for.

Anybody been down to the river today? was thinking about giving it a shot after work before the heavy rain tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroon87 View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing. This rain really sucks. I was thinking of hitting LG or Schroon lake this week if we do get the couple inches of rain they are calling for.

Anybody been down to the river today? was thinking about giving it a shot after work before the heavy rain tonight.
you would probably be ok ....... reports were it cleared up and fish were caught yesterday and this rain today is really light

i almost went this morning but i looked at the radar and didn't feel like sitting in my rowboat in the rain all morning
Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Striper Hunter

Saturday was clearing up, able to jig up herring. My guess is tomorrow will be muddy. Would heading down to Catskills be any better?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Senior Member Elite

I fished Castleton yesterday.....the river started to clear...marked tons of fish and saw many herring actually jumping all around us but no stripers for us. If this rain keeps up I'm heading South again.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Striper Hunter

They are calling for 2-3" of rain between today and tomorrow
Old 05-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder36 View Post
They are calling for 2-3" of rain between today and tomorrow

that's not good ..... we're hosed for another week if that is correct

i just bought a little downrigger for my rowboat... i might hit lake goeorge
Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Official Member

Never give up...went 17 for 20 and bout ten cats on top of that...river was insane today...best day ever..but fish a spinnerbait on saratoga right on weed lines and you will catch fish too...got three fish over 40 inches today... yahhhhhhhhhhh
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Crap, I'll give stripers a try, if I go to Saratoga all I will think about is how I would have done striper fishing. Next Tuesday will be my last striper trip of the year. Boo