Pikie Minnow Blanks - Wood - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Official Member

Default Pikie Minnow Blanks - Wood

I recently was able to buy out an old time lure maker who has retired. He used to make wood blanks, under contract, for many of the major lure manufacturersincluding Gilmore, Fred Arbogast, and Creek Chub to name a few.

I have a few of his Pikie Minnow blanks now...but those are not for sale.

He had a recent back operation and has told me that he is much better than he used to be, and believes he will shortly be able to go back working in his wood shop to make up some more blanks for another individual who has ordered some.

I contacted him recently and asked if he would be interested in making some of the Pikie Minnow blanks for me....and he said that he would.

He had a lot of low resin Sugar Pine on hand still....and has said he has orderd new wood for the other blanks his customer now wants.....

Enclosed here is a photo of two of the Pikie Minnow blanks in sugar pine that he had made....many years ago. He still has the jigs and can again turn our about as many as I would want....but I need to give him an order for at least 500 of these blanks (for each size) to make it worth his time and effort to set up the automatic lathe to do this job. by the way...the lather was made in Germany at a cost of around $ 30.000.00....and can turn out perhaps a wood blank about every 30-45 seconds....and they are all exactly alike.

Here is a photo of two of the Pikie's that I have now.......they both feature a 1/8' hole from front to rear (for thru wire construction) and eye holes, as well as belly holes.
They can easily be weighted with the addition of 1/8 inch weights in the nose, belly or tail...or all three if desired. They will also be made with the lip grove already in too.

The estimated cost for 500 of these blanks is going to be around $ 1.00 to $ 1.25 each.....and I want perhaps 100 of them for myself....so will have around 300-400 of them to share with others - if there is interest.

Nothing for sale...here....now....just a "heads up" to see if others want to get in on this to get some of the Pikie blanks for themselves......

Please contact me thru Email if you are interested........and the price for the blanks above is just a 'guesstimate'...they may run less or more....depending......

Photo.....the small Pikie is 5 3/4 inches in length....the larger one is 7 3/4 inch.

I am not seeing the photo here...so I will post it up to my own website...and then will put a link to it on my next post here.

Photo:

Steve
I guess you could say "I'm fishing a little"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 02:08 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Pikie Minnow Blanks - Wood

FYI... Creek chub only used white cedar for their plugs... not sugar pine... the shortage of white cedar led to the discontinuation of many plugs and the introduction to plastic... this is indeed a "fishy" first post.... I'm goint to lock it and leave it... Jim is this cool?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:39 PM

A bit of investigation brings me to a lure maker in Missouri. littlebitlures.com
First post we need to be careful.
- But we must warn any potential buyers that this is a public forum and we make every attempt to clear the sellers first.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Having said that - Buyer Beware -
Thank you Joe

Steve Welcome
If you wish to advertize please contact the owners. It wouldnt be fair to the paid advertizers..
https://www.stripers247.com/advertising.php

I will add your site to the Tackle Companies Big and small threads

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=3004
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=7253
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
A bit of investigation brings me to a lure maker in Missouri. littlebitlures.com
First post we need to be careful.
- But we must warn any potential buyers that this is a public forum and we make every attempt to clear the sellers first.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Having said that - Buyer Beware -
Thank you Joe

Steve Welcome
If you wish to advertize please contact the owners. It wouldnt be fair to the paid advertizers..
https://www.stripers247.com/advertising.php

I will add your site to the Tackle Companies Big and small threads

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=3004
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=7253
Hello,

I am not advertising anything nor am I offering anything for sale...just trying to see if there is any interest in anyone wanting to get some wood blanks for Pikie Minnow plugs.

And someone else here has investigated and found my web site and lure making activities...I did not post them here.......

But if you care to do a little more investigation you can check me out on the Ebay auction (same name as my web site) where I sold lots of my wood lures and kits....all with a 30 day money back guarantee....if they did not like it for any reason-simply return it for a full refund. Sold lots of them with a 100 % feedback rating...and did not receive any back for warranty. A check of my specific feedback there will show you that I am not the crook or scoundrel that you have come to think everyone who is "new" will be........

I am no longer selling lures or kits on Ebay...as I just do not like having to pay a 20-25 % commission on my items......nor will I be paying much to advertise them elsewhere either. I am retired and don't need the revenue....as I have a comfortable income from other investments and such.

And my guy who turned these blanks said he had several contracts with the Creek Chub Lure Company in the 60' and 70's and made these blanks for them. Why would he lie about that......he quit making lure blanks for other commercial lure manufactures perhaps 10-12 years ago...... and I had to try to convince him to go back into his wood shop to make me some of the Pikie blanks.....he did not come to me to try to sell them to me. Nor am I trying to sell them here. He needs a minimum order of about 400 or so to make it worth his time and effort to set up the lathe for the automatic production of this old time lure blank.

So perhaps I should have said......." Looking for someone to share an order of Pikie Minnow type plug blanks..." Steve