New Aqueduct Angler - Have few questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Official Member

Question New Aqueduct Angler - Have few questions

First id like to say hello to everyone, I am a farly inexperienced angler but im trying to soak up as much as I can from various sources and just putting in as much time at the water as I can. Im new to the site so id like to say hello.

Ive been trolling the NET and its hard to find info on fishing the duct, striper bills site was a great help to give me the basics so id like to say thanks.

I also have a few questions if anyone wouldent mind giving me a few tips, im from Coalinga, CA. A small town about an hour from Fresno. The only places to fish after work here are the Duct & the Kings River both about 30 minutes away. Ive fished the duct about 10 times in the past few months with no luck, tried swimbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and live bait and no luck so far.

My question is what kind of live bait rig do you guys recommend for frozen anchovies, I have been using a dropshot rig and round hooks, mostly cutting up the anchovies hooking them up and then tossing my line into the water near the gates but no luck so far. Should i be using the whole chovy or is cutting it in half OK? Ive heard people tell me that the head and tail are no good but Im not sure if thats true or not. I mostly fish at night as its the only time I can get out during the week, its hard to fish with lures at night as I cant see what the heck im doing lol. Anyone have any tips for me rigs, bait setup etc....., I dont care about size I just want to catch any fish at this point lol If anyone knows of any good spots to fish the duct in the Coalinga area that would be great to! Thanks Everyone!

My Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Re: New Aqueduct Angler - Have few questions

Old 03-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Striper Hunter

HEY BACARAT! WELCOME TO THE SITE. THE BEST TIP I CAN GIVE IS JUST KEEP TRYING AND SOAK UP ALL THE INFO YOU CAN. I'LL WRITE SOME OF MY TIPS NEXT TIME I'M ONLINE OK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Official Member

Awesome! That would be great!

My Facebook page
Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Striper Hunter

HEY BACARAT!
I like using a carolina rig. I use a 1/2 ounce egg wieght. Bait I use- anchovies or if u can find them lugworms or bloodworms. I cut the anchovies in 1 inch chunks. I like the belly the best. sometimes i fillet them and just hide the hook.
The other rig is a rat L trap. Throw it in near the gate. Let it sink to the bottom then wait a about 5 seconds then reel it in real fast. You can pause and go or jerk the bait.
Try this out and let us know how you did. I'll probably be going fishing tomorrow and let you know how it goes also.
I hope this helps. The aqueduct is hit or miss but mostly miss. you can only keep trying. Good luck!!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the tips! Im going out tonight ill let you know if I have any luck! Anyone ever catch stripers on Rat-l-traps at night? How the hell do you cast with no light lol??

My Facebook page
Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Official Member

Just watch for the splash in the moonlight. Though, we havent had much luck with the moon lately, have we Bacarat?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Official Member

No we haven't, moons been MIA lately just got back from the canal and there's not much going on right now.

My Facebook page
Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Official Member

i dont fish the duct but i fish at night sometimes, bring a lil LED lantern bro it should help some
Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Official Member

Yes you will catch stripers at night with the Rat L traps. Don't light up the water with any light. It will spook the stripers. Practice casting during the day and you will have it down for night time as you become more experienced. I use a headlight (head mounted light) to tie on lures and face away from the water. I then turn it off and fish in the dark or whatever moonlight there is. Your eyes adjust after a few seconds.