questions...... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:33 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default questions......

Actually, these are more like statements than questions; any input or thoughts would be nice though.

I fished last night from about 8:15 until around 2 a.m. this morning @ nut island in quincy.....the whole time I was there i witnessed NO bites or any action(except for squid-this is the only reason I stayed so long....'cause I was catching squid). Anyways no action all night, there were tons of people there using everything from clams to mackeral I was using both mackeral and livelining squid that I had caught.

Everything was quiet and dead (except for the squid action). At around 1:00 a.m. (pretty low tide) I witnessed what i thought and had thought about a week ago were squid darting around the top of the water. A guy (who seemed to know his stuff) pointed out that they were not in fact squid....they were small fish. They were swimming in schools of about 10 and goin pretty fast (any ideas of what they could have been?....he thought they were bluefish). Anyways I took the weight off my line and threw out fresh squid and mackeral to the top of the surface....the fish wouldnt bite it even though they came right up next to it. Next I saw fish breaking the surface randomly(didnt actually see the fish....but saw the breaks in the water~BTW the water was EXTREMELY CALM).....they seemed to be pretty big fish too. After mackeral and squid didnt work I ran to my car to get my handy dandy storm shads....by the time I got back the action was gone.......one more thing: before I ran to my car I heard seagulls off in the distance...is this normal at 1:00 A.M.?

I realize that this is more of a story than anything else...but here are my questions:
What's up with seagulls at 1:00a.m.?
What type of fish do you think they could have been?
What are your thoughts about what I saw at LOW TIDE- what are your thoughts on fishing at low tide like this?
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 07:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: questions......

I would bet they were Mackeral. Bring light tackle tonight.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:12 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i bet joe is onto something....if the bait is there, bass ar not too far away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 09:10 AM

I was thinking that they were macks too but wasnt sure.....I didnt really think they came this far in shore this early in the year.....ill have to bring a couple umbrella rigs next time
Old 05-29-2007, 12:17 PM
swabbie

If they were macks I'm surprised you didn't catch one. In my experience they will hit bait and pretty much any small lure.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:56 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Sabiki rig... never leave the house without a sabiki rig.

Mackeral are primarily day time feeders..... not likely it was macks, it could have been anything from herring, to shad to sandeels or smelt or even harbor pollock,although harbor pollock are pretty willing biters, especialy at night.

Did you fish only on the bottom???? if there are that many squid, the bass are somewhere nearby....

sea gulls will eat whenever the poertunity presents itselg... especialy if the area is lighted.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:51 PM
First Mate

If I am not mistaken, there is light on the water there. I have caught many mackeral under lights. Not from shore, but the light is attracting the small bait, I am guessing.

Been working nights and seeing lots of bait, from small silverside type to sea worms on top in the light lately.

Anyway, bring a bass or trout rod with wiht, and throw some small jures, or even a fly on a bubble, I would think would work. I have caught many mackeral on flies to beat for much else.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 AM

Well on one rod I had squid out there on the bottom, I alternated that with mackeral every so often. I had a smaller fresh water rod I was using for squid...when I saw those fish swimming arounf I took off the squid jig and threw on some squid tentackles. After investigating it but not hittin I put on some mackeral...again no hits. I ran down to the end of the pier and got my 5" swim shads.....I casted out but I think it was too late.

Those fish swimming around are almost an every day thing...Ive been fishing there for the last couple of nights/mornings and I see them every day. (Although the story mentioned above ^ I saw them constantly).

I have a sabiki rig, can I use my umbrella rigs instead?....there pretty much the same thing but they're a little bigger. a.k.a. christmas trees
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Small...throw small for the Mackeral.

Soory I was vagur about the flies...Think streamers or clousers, I would not go larger than a size 1 hook.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks Joe.....the mackeral rigs that i have arent that big. I couldnt tell you what size hook but a 1/0 sounds good to me. The sabiki rigs that I have (use 'em for smelt) are really small. Almost to small for mackeral...but then again I could be wrong.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21johansen View Post
I have a sabiki rig, can I use my umbrella rigs instead?....there pretty much the same thing but they're a little bigger.
Hi Brian,
I think there's some confusion by your use of "Umbrella rigs". When most people hear "umbrella rig", they think of this, which imitates a school of baitfish like mackeral:

Not really something you'd use for catching mackeral, but rather to imitate them....

This is a sabiki rig.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:19 AM

aw crap.....thanks baitrunner. I already knew that...i dunno why i called it that. I think i added it by accident....i do know mackeral rigs as "christmas trees" unless my dad just made that up lol. Anyways the sabiki rig I have is really small...........i mean you can barely see the hooks theyre so small......i asked the guy behind the counter for " a sabiki rig for smelt)<- that was back in november.....anyways the mackeral rigs i have are a little bigger.

One of them the hooks are dressed with small silver plastic tubes tipped in red.....the other 3-4 are just multi colored~these are the ones i call "christmass trees"

And baitrunnner......since you posted that picture lemme ask a quick off topic question. Are those shads on that umbrella supposed to imitate any specific baitfish that stripers would eat....ive seen umbrella like that before...in fact i THINK i used to have a similar one....anyways i cant think of one baitfish that looks like the ones above that a striper would eat (i suppose it could be some form of a mackeral imitation but not really)....thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21johansen View Post
Are those shads on that umbrella supposed to imitate any specific baitfish that stripers would eat?
That color is called Tiger Shad.
I just grabbed the photo from the 9erslures web site
Old 05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the name christmass tree rigs is a correct one, at times they work very well, others not at all...

the problem here is, you are trying to catch a fish for identification porposes, so why not give yourself the best chance for sucess, even herring hit sabki rigs (river) herring are illegal in Mass to keep or posess...

dont be fooled by the size of those sabiki's, they are quite strong, a few years back, I hauled a 20lb cod off the bottom on one, I was jigging for whiting for tuna bait, imagine my surprise when that monster ate that tiny little fly.....

What Baitrunner is showing you is correctly called a niner rig, it employs all those rubber shad and is supposed to imitate a school of baitfish...

An umbrella rig is simularly shaped, but utilizes small tube worms instead of the shad, they are deadly when the bass are on sand eels.....
Old 06-01-2007, 02:34 PM
First Mate

O.T. but maybe relevent to Brian. Seawroms are active this week under the lights on the Fore River. I am working nights, and have seen quite a few. (On top of all places.)