Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

lures

Tags
lures
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
Have been fishing Boston harbor from shore for a good part of my adult life. Been mostly bait fishing, clams, worms etc. Like to start throwing some lures but havnt a clue on what to buy, or how to tie them.

#2 ·
Here are a couple of lures that work for me in that area:

1. slug-go on a small jig head - let it sink and reel in slowly with a regular light twitch

2. splastic swim shads - use a bigger one for larger bass - the pre rigged ones with bait smell are the best - let them sink a bit then reel in fairly slowly

3. 1-3-oz crippled herring jig - if you in a boat you can drift and jig it near the bottom - from shore reel it in while jigging at medium retrieve and make sure you don't get caught on the bottom. I also use a teaser for these set ups but you might not want to start out with teaser and keep it simple.

4. Yozuri mirror - works great but I don't like the treble hooks due to the damage it does to smaller bass

I usually use light tackle so I attach a small barrel swivel to my line, then attached about 25lb flouro leader to it and have about 2-3 feet of leader before I tie the lure directly to the leader using an improved clinch knot. Don't use snap swivvels - sometimes it make a difference having one on your lure.

Any good bass lure should work in the Boston Harbor and keep in mind that you want to mimmic the bait as much as possible - herring are in now for example and mackeral further out.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.