day or night? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:09 PM
First Mate

Default day or night?

When do you think is the best time to go for stripers, day or night? I'm sure that some of the diehard fisherman out there would say anytime to go fishin is a good time but I just want to see what you feel has worked best. I see you guys postin' some pretty nice pics of stripers caught during the day and I notice alot of guys taking their boats out at night and almost all of roc's pics are at night so... what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 03:19 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: day or night?

from dusk to dawn....thats my favorite..
Old 05-11-2007, 03:26 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I fish mostly at night, but early when the bass first arrive and late in the season after the crowds have gone I'll fish during the day....

here's a few daytime pics so you know I'm not strickly nocturnal..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	June bass.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Picture 496.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 518.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1759  
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 03:31 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

I believe that night time is the best time for striper fishing....especially if you wanna catch a big fish. The larger stripers are nocturnal and have more confidence coming close to shore at night time. For me I've had the most luck at the crack of dawn. However, based on the people ive talked to in person and on this web site I would have to say that overall night time is the best time. Honestly, my biggest fish taken was during the day but that was from a boat. My second largest fish was taken from shore right at the crack of dawn.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:34 PM

nice pics roccus..........thats weird i think you posted at the same exact time i did or right after.

one more thing.....id have to say ive caught more schoolies during the day than night although the numbers are probably pretty close.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
First Mate

something tells me roc would have no problem catching stripers in a dessert!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
First Mate

I had heard that most prefer to go at night. I'm just hesitate to take the boat out at night. this is my first year with my boat.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:57 PM

hey cheech...sorry i read your post but didnt think about the boat part. This is my first year operating my own boat too and i dont blame you. I've never taken the boat out at night by myself and dont really plan on doing it unless i really feel confident in doing so. I know how to read nauitcal charts and read can and nuns at night but still its kinda risky or at least scary......its the same as walking into a dark room in your house at night-you walk in that room all the time and know nothing is in the middle of the room but you still walk slow and put your hands out in front of you. thats probably a bad analogy but i hope you understand it.

Heres what i might do just to get familiar with things at night.......i might take the boat out around dusk......being sure that i am heading IN when its really starting to get dark.

another thing......I LOVE to fish early in the morning or at random hours of the night (has something to do with the fact that at these hours everything is so much quieter and you feel more intact with nature-not to sound like some hippy tree hugger). so i plan on taking the boat out really early when the sun is getting up or when its still dark out. At this point theres enough light to see but you still get that feeling of operating at night.

maybe these can help you...i plan on doing these two things -if you or anyone else has any ideas let me know....im just as new to operating a boat at night as you are.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:12 PM
First Mate

definetly scary. maybe towards the end of the summer I will go out at night. Hopefully by then I will be more comfortable with everything. Until then early mornings will do just fine.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

My advise to you guys just learnign to fish at night is this, Hit each stage of the tide during the day, make sure to pick a time of the month when the tides are at their lowest and highest.... take numerous land marks, triangulate things that will stick out at night.. for instance, there is one particular rip that forms one hour down on a flat that I fish, the rip is formed by a small grass Island, after the tide drops two hours the rip is gone.. I find this rip by triangualting a church steeple,a funny shaped tree and a water tower, the rip itself is very subtle, finding it would be difficult on a vast marsh flat but by using those objects I can concentrate on whats in front of me and not have to stare at a GPS that can rob me of my night vision.... learn to associate land marks and keep your speed down.... be careful out there, every night during the summer months I see atr least one boat run aground or into somethoing, I've seen them run up on the jetty and over rock piles they didnt even know were there.. just learn small areas at a time... and in no time you will have a whole list of places to go when the rest of the world is asleep....

for the record... in July and August when everyone and his brother is on vacation... alot of nights I get up at midnight and fish until daybreak.. then go straight to work......thus avoiding the crowds.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:22 PM

thanks for the advice.....like cheech said until summer ill do my night fishing from the shore.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:06 PM
First Mate

Again, thanks for the advise roc. Luckily, I fish/boat on the brooklyn side of the verrazano bridge, next to the belt parkway which is A: very well lit and B: deep water. So I have some pretty big refference points and really don't have to worry about running agound. I'm just hesitant b/c this is still new to me and I still don't go out during the day by myself let alone at night! Once I get the hang of everything (namely doccing) I'll get out there at night.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 PM
First Mate

Nighttime is for Keepers...I should make bumper stickers.

That's when I do most of my best from shore.

If on a boat it is generally just after first light. Probably only because that's when my friends with boats go. But it works for us.

I do fish the Canal a lot, and the crowd factor is one reason I fish at night. I like having the whole place to myself. Not much of a fan of being in the Sun either. Low slacktide + New moon = My favorite. Less water for them to hide....or something. I dunno. It works for me.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Very generally speaking, I find;

1 hr either side of dusk / dawn usually good catching, predominantly schoolie sized.

1-3 hrs after dark is kind of a "dead zone", not an awful lot of action.

In the dead of night until a couple of hours before dawn can be somewhat slower but the bigger fish are on the move. Not generally a lot of smaller fish to be had.

Daytime, expect the unexpected. Seen it dead, and I've seen it so fishy you'd think you could walk on them.

Now with that being said, I might add;

May / June - Dusk & dawn
June / July / August - 10:00 pm til 3-4:00 am-ish
September/ October/ November - 24/7

As mentioned, that is a VERY general overview of my way (sorta).
To be absolutely specific, each and every day may or may not require a significant deviation.

Considered reasons for deviations?
TIDES - strengths, amount, time
WEATHER- storms, brightness, pressures, temps, wind direction & strength
WATER- temps, clarity, red weed, bait, Gulf Stream, flow, boat traffic, dragger activity
Then with the above considerations I'll look at locations, times, crowds, etc.
And when it's all said and done,,,, I look for a healthy dose of "lady Luck.

See how easy it is?

PS; For boaters, you'll be surprised at how well you can really see by starlight once it gets really dark and your eyes adjust. Just keep away from the light! (and it's beautiful too!)

Last edited by FLOATSUM; 05-12-2007 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added boat comment
Old 05-12-2007, 08:56 AM
First Mate

thanks for all the advice guys