Make your own Smelt fishing rig. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Make your own Smelt fishing rig.

Material List.
One piece of 1"x3"x1/2" Strapping. Cut to 36" in length.
Six empty thread spools. From yo mama's sewing kit.
Six 2" long screws/washers.
Three dull hacksaw blades.
Three small eye screws.
Three small wood screws/washers.
Three small split rings.
180' of 12lb. test mono. Cut in three equal sections.
One package of the smallest snelled hooks you can find.
One package of strike indicators. Small cork bobbers will also work.
Sinkers of various weight up to 1/2 oz.

After Smelt fishing at those commercial camps without much success due to the poor equipment they offered. I figured out a better way and boy has it paid off. If the run is on and you have a set up like this get ready for a fast and furious night of fishing. Sensitivity is the key in Smelt fishing and this is perfect.

Attach the six spools to the face of the strapping using the 2" long screws and washers. The spools are used to store the line. I wrap the line on using a figure eight type motion. Spool number one is attached to the face of the board 2" from one end of the board and 1.5" from the top. Spool number two @ 6". Spool number three @ 16". Spool number four @ 20". Spool number five @ 32". Spool number six @ 34".

Attach the three hacksaw blades to the top of the board using the small wood screws and washers. Two are attached two inches from each end. The third is attached at 18" from the end. Attach one split ring to the free end of the hacksaw blade.

Attach the three eye screws to the face of the board 1/2" below the hacksaw blades.

Drill two 1/4" holes thru the face of the board. One inch from each end and 1.5" from the top. These holes are where you will attach the rig, using screws, to the wall of the smelt shack. Don't forget the cordless drill with the charged battery.

Setting up to fish is pretty simple. Wind the 60' of line onto the spools. Thread it thru the eye screw. Thru the split ring attached to the end on the hacksaw blade. Attach the snelled hook to the end of the line. The lead goes on about 16" above the snelled hook. The bobber is set so its is about one inch above the water. Mainly so you can see the line moving when a fish is begging to be hooked. The key is in the sensitivity of the hacksaw blades.

If you fish this set up or one like it you'll be so busy catching fish you might not have much free time to drink and or eat. I know cause I been there done that. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Smelt Rig

Hey sounds like a great idea...

Could you post a pic? (If you hav one) Im totally gonna make one, I just need to see what it looks like. Im always lookin for stuff to do during the winter to keep myself from goin insane!

Thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 05:40 AM

I wish I could but I don't have a digital camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 09:27 AM

Got a scanner? That's what I did before I had a digi cam, still what I do with my flies, throw em up on the flatbed and scan away!
Old 11-18-2004, 06:21 PM

Nope no scanner. I'll try to get a buddy to snap a few pics this weekend.