Newbie to Stripers & Delaware River - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Newbie to Stripers & Delaware River

Gentlemen,
New to the site and have found it very helpful so far. I've been researching all winter, the striper fishing on the Delaware River. I fish from a 17' Tracker with a 30HP Mercury jet motor. I am looking to fish the area from Scudders Falls to probably down around the Rte. 1 bridge. However, my questions are regarding the water in this area. How safe and effective is a jetboat in this area? I am not real familar with the Delaware in this area and basically don't want to waste a long drive for nothing. Some of the information I have read leads me to believe stripers do make it up this far and probably beyond.

If someone could tell me more about the water and perhaps the fishing, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for top secret information, just a general overview of the area and the striper fishing. Worse comes to worse, I pull the boat if unsuccessful and make a short run up north for some smallies.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Newbie to Stripers & Delaware River

I know the Shad make up that far and past
Old 03-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Welcome Mckoloch The fish surge upriver after the shad run. Up past the gap. Some as far up as Calicoon. They seem to travel in small schools that far upriver and travel from hole to hole.
Scudders is supposed to be excellent near the Wing Dam. I dont know how deep the water is there but many parts of the Delaware are just too shallow for anything other than a drift boat. Some spots are pure whitewater. I think your safe around scudders although I just dont know for sure, Im still trying to learn the river.
Heres an overview of scudders from an online whitewater site. http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...etail/id/2920/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Ok thats for the information and link. I think in the very near future I'll at least be taking a ride over to that area and checking things out the best I can from the shore. I'm just going to keep trying to see what I can learn and hopefully when the stripers are running I'll have something put together.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Official Member

mkoloch,

I live in the area and have fished for stripers for the past couple of years, from now until May you may want to be below the rt 1 bridge, probably way below. I was just out tonight and we fished near the BB bridge.

When the water warms a little more they will start to come up river. During the height of the striper season we usually fish from the Linden ave. ramp northwards, all the way to rt 1.

I will be fishing all around this area all spring, including catching herring to use as both live bait and frozen too. I can help you with this but we'll have to be in the same place at the same time to get something accomplished.

I know you're a partner of Al's, and since he helped me, I will pass on the favor.

Get back to me either here or on DVO forum (DVO preferably, read more there). My name is the same in both places, so get back to me when you can.

lwwjr
Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 AM

Like LWWJR pointed out the upriver surge commences after spawning season. The major spawning grounds are the Marcus Hook industrialized section of the river. The upper limit of the spawning estuary is the Pennsylvania Turnpike bridge.
When they do surge upriver pay attention to the creek mouths.
Here also is a link that will help give you an overview of the river.
Maps

Delaware River and Outdoor Recreation -
Has a series of 10 maps of the Delaware River and they are available
($10 per set).
These are waterproof maps showing physical
characteristics and recreational facilities of the river from
Hancock, NY to Trenton, NJ.
Box 7360,
West Trenton, NJ 08628;
Telephone: 609-883-9500.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Striper Hunter

lwwjr,
Thanks for the info., I'll shoot you a message on the other board.

striper,
Thanks for the links and info. on the map. I've had the map for a few years now and it has definitely been helpful.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 PM

Hey,
I spend most of my time fishing between then Rt. 1 bridge north to the wing dam in New Hope. Most of the information that these guys gave you is right on, with a few exceptions. I have fished this stretch for about 15 years now and stripers do follow the shad as long as the water is in the 50 to 55 degrees (generaly) range. The best indicator I have found is the hering run. The old timers say when the cherry blossoms bloom it is time to fire up the boat the strippers are coming. Washington Crossing area is good for 24 to 36 inch range but if you want to live line hering between scudders and trenton makes bridge is the spot. Your 17 foot with a jet drive is very well suited for this area in fact I run a 18 foot with a 40 Johnson prop (dangerous if you don't know the river)
My email address is [email protected] email me sometime and in the future when the hering are running I can meet you at Trenton ramp and show you the area. Good luck, Stuart
Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Beave

MKOLOCH,

I fish from the wing dam down to the route 1 bridge 3x a week. As the other guys have stated,the best fishing is going to be from the trenton falls down. The herring are just starting to move in and the larger nonnative species will be following them the whole way. If you give it another 10 days the striper fishing will be great. I have an 18' sea ark tunnel jet with an 80hp jet. I usually launch from the yardley boat ramp and have no problems going to trenton. I would urge you even with the jet to be very careful. Though the river is high right now,when it comes down there are numerous area where you can wreck your boat. You might want to go right to the trenton boat launch. It is dredged from trenton down. You will be close to the herring and have easy access to some great striper fishing. also, once the herring come in you will be hard pressed to catch them on anything else. let me know when you are going out and we could meet sometime and I would be glad to show you the areas to be cautious around.