Cuttyhunk Tips Anyone? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:24 AM

Default Cuttyhunk Tips Anyone?

I've written about this about a year ago...and havent really been on since...and i have noticed my last post was no longer there anymore...
In June...The weekend of the Third and Fourth i will be attending a fishing tournement in Cuttyhunk...This will be my Fourth Year....
I know the island and its harbor like the back of my hand...but during these tournements I've only gone out on the boat early in the morning and got back about 3 in the Afternoon...and left the night fishing be...except for one night..I fished the dock righ tnext to the gas dock with the light on it and pulled out a 36 inch bass.....Now although that will make any angler happy on a night....I'm looking for more...because almost everyday of the tournment i will go out and get fish in the 20-30 pound mark...

What i was looking to find out is if anyone knows any tips from fishing from shore early in June....or anytime rather...those who have fished the island know that there is a deep channel or dredged that is quite narrow and current moves rather quick and a night i know there are big fish there but the question I am looking to know is how/where to fish it and what to fish it with.....There are big fish that can be caught from shore...I just would like to know if anyone has any tips or any stories from their past....Positive or Negative...They would be appricated...

Thank you,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 09:41 AM

Is there a reason you have to stay on shore at night during the tournament?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:59 PM

Mainly because I myself am 16, Yes 16 is young, But I have fished for years myself and am very skilled, not to brag...and well I am going to be on a island with many other fishermen in their mid to late 30's 40's and 50's...and well you know what that means...them drinking a whole lot of five finger drinks....and to consume myself and better my odds i will fish at night...i have a dighny..Mind you im on my dads boat.....I will post pics from my winning fish right after this....dating back 2 years...2nd place and...3rd....30+ class.....but i would LIKE to stay inside the mouth of the harbor and canapitsit.....I know there are HUGE fish there....Hello Charlies Soares (i think thats his last name)Fish at Sow and Pigs reef.......70+ pounds....Yeah i would like to get something of atleast half that size....I will hike to the oppisite side of the island and fish the pond right near the reef it looks very appealing...I just may carry a knife...animals could be mean...I checked it out on google earth it looks like a salt marsh that almost nobody fishes.....ANyone have ANY tips for fishing from shore...I have a few...and have caught fish but none bigger than 15 pounds....and most of my fish from shore in my ONE spot are 10-15 pounds.....

Thats the real reason why, anyone need tips just im me yankeessuck6789

Im adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 03:01 PM

Also Baitrunner...Im From fall river as well...or thats where my dad keeps his boat....I live on nantucket....his boat is at Borden Light Marina....Right Under the brage bridge...know where i am talking about...Right near boarding and remington
Old 03-28-2006, 03:31 PM

Yessah,, I know where Borden Light Marina is. I live just up river from there about 5 miles.

I've never fished from shore in Cuttyhunk,, but just looking at the island on Google Earth,, I can see 3 or 4 spots on the south side of the island that I'd hit first. You should check out Google Earth if you haven't yet. In conjunction with a nautical chart, it's a great way to scope out new spots.

When I'm shore fishing at night, I like to soak a bunker head or clam on one rod with a fishfinder rig and toss some eels or lures with another.

Look for depth changes, troughs, and structure. I know there are a lot of boulders at the one end of the island. There's one spot I fish where they like to hang out on the lee side of some boulders at the edge of the surf. Toss some eels around stuff like that.

edit.. oops just reread you post and you mentioned Google Earth already. great tool I think.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Charley Soares

Why dont you check with Charley. He is a great teacher and works well with guys your age. I am sure he could offer some info. This is his web site
http://www.fishingthesalt.com/
Old 03-28-2006, 08:17 PM

A little of topic but uh jake hows the fishing in fall river right now...seeing anything...i know the power plant is holding...
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 PM

Here are the pics from the biggest fish from last year....

One before the tournement...(the one bymyself)
One during that took 3rd.....

both about 30 lbs
Old 03-28-2006, 09:30 PM

Let me just rephrase...Those were the biggest fish from that weekend....

The first one is one during thr tournement...Im 16...the younger one and that fish is about 30lbs....caught on Devils Bridge......

The Other one was the night before the tourney on the way their on a ledge that rises from 120 to feet to 25....... On 20lb test with a brella rig....

YEAH

Hopefully i can do it agian this year...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfishy12
A little of topic but uh jake hows the fishing in fall river right now...seeing anything...i know the power plant is holding...
I haven't gotten out yet this spring. It'll be a couple more weeks before I get out there. Gotta get the boat ready still.