Will I catch a striper fishing near the shore? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:40 AM

Default Will I catch a striper fishing near the shore?

Hello Everyone, Im new here and very new to fishing. I have a rod with a reel and some weights of 3-4 ounces. I read the beginner's clinic for striper fishing on this site and it says to use swivels and fish finders? What are swivels and fish finders?? When i was fishing at a local shore, someone told me to use floaters? What are floaters?
I do not own a boat and there arent any places near my neighborhood to rent boats so i have to drive to shore and fish there.. Will i be able to catch stripers fishing near shore or beaches??? I'm in (Brooklyn, NY...) Any help would be much much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 07:15 AM

Default HEY

I DONT KNOW MUCH BUT YOU WONT CATCH MANY TILL FALL/WINTER FLOATERS I THINK ARE BOBERS A HALLOW PLASTIC BALL THAT FLOATS ON THE TP OF THE WATER AND THE BAIT CAN BE A FEW INCHES OR FEET IN THE WATER SWIVELS IS WHAT YOU TIE YOUR LINE TO AND YOU HOOK IT HAS 2 SIDES TO TIE HOOK AND LINE
Old 07-19-2004, 05:56 PM

Ok -

Swivel - A metal piece that allows twisting of your bait without twisting your line. There are "snap swivels" that allow you to switch items quickly. There are barrel swivels, with a circle on each end.

Fish Finder - this thing has a metal loop/snap that allows you to put a weight on. It is connected to a plastic piece that is desgined to go around the line. So, you basiclly thread your line thru the plastic, tie on a swivel, and put your wieght on the fish finder. This let's you feel the fish no matter how much weight is on your line

Yes, you can catch stripers from shore, but I've got no clue about Brooklyn. Ask at your local B&T, get Frank Daignault's "Striper Hot Spots" and let us know if you catch a keeper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Welcome Aboard

Welcome to the site. I see your from Brooklyn. We have a few members from the Brooklyn, Staten Island area.
Im glad you took the time to check out the beginners clinic. Here is a page on Brooklyn. The piers have GPS (Global sattelite positioning)coordinates you might have heard of some of them. These locations are fished by the locals in Brooklyn for stripers. https://www.stripers247.com/Brooklyn.htm
It is by no means comprehensive. Jamaica Bay, the east river and for that matter anywhere there is water there is the potential for stripers. Just some locations are fishier than other. Keep reading different posts from this area, New York, New Jersey, Long Island and Ct. to get a picture of bait used and methods.
There are party boats out of sheepshead bay at night that supply the pole, reels and bait for about 40 bucks a head. Right now most are out blue fishing, but come september more will start fishing for half night striper runs. Sometimes it is good to go on a party boat and watch how the bait is rigged and how the other guys are catching. It can be a lot of fun. Of course you have to deal with crowds and possibly tangling lines.

Check out some of the feedback posts to some of the other Rookie fishermen. And get out there and fish. Bring your freshwater skills to the saltwater. You can even use the same gear to get started off of a jetty.
You will have to get bigger and stronger equipment if you want to bring in a monster fromn the beach. But light action tackle can be a lot of fun also. Using poppers and plugs. Make sure you rinse the saltwater off your gear when your done. And like Charlie said talk to the local bait shop guys.
Fishfinder
Old 07-20-2004, 12:15 AM

Default Swivel with a double line for strength.

One example of your line being tied to one end of your swivel. You tie your rig (many choices) or your hook to the other.

One end of the standing line ( from the reel) is tied to the swivel and then you tie on your "rig" to the other end of the swivel. The best knot to use is the uni knot also known as the fishermens knot. This example shows it being tied to your hook. I use the fishermans knot to tie my standing line to my swivel.

https://www.stripers247.com/uniknot.htm

Now here is a modified striper rig. It is actually a herring rig. I use something close to this except I use a number 7/0 baitholder, octopus or circle hook. and I use 3 feet of leader not the 5 foot in this example. The hook type doesnt really matter as long as its SHARP and protrudes about an eighth to a quarter of an inch out of your bait.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:14 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Fish finders rule!

Welcome to the site wannacatchastriper!

SInce I am from NH, its hard to help you. Right now, throwing out chunks of Mackerel works great off the sand/rocks. In the rivers, Herring is the #1 choice. Are there any marshes around you? (Sorry I dont know your area at all). If there are marshes/estuaries in your area, fish them! Fish the points, then the bends :)

Old 07-21-2004, 03:52 AM

thanx for all your kind replies!
Striper247, i think im gonna go on one of those party boats this weekend. Perhaps saturday night. Another questions, do i need a floater to catch a striper??
Old 07-21-2004, 12:29 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacatchastriper
do i need a floater to catch a striper??
No way!

Old 07-21-2004, 03:55 PM

Figured i'd drop by and welcome our newest rookie,(wannacatchastriper).

i'll be absolutely no help at all here, i dont use fishfinders, i dont fish the rivers or marshes, i just fish from shore, and catch alot of stripers hahaha.

your gonna love this site my friend. your "rookie status" will change very quickly.

shout out goes out to........JIM, JONNY, AND CHARLIE.

hows it going guys?

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN