Happy To Be Joining The Hunt - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > New Member Introductions
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself to the members of Stripers247.com

Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Happy To Be Joining The Hunt

Hi, All. I'm new to the sport this year, been a member on this site for a couple of months and am excited to be learning how to hunt these beasts.

Good fortune finds me here and this is my first post. I got interested in striper fishing last year. Earlier this year I was selling some water sport equipment I was no longer using and ended up meeting a skilled striper fisherman in the process. Instead of buying and selling we negotiated an equipment trade and a couple of lessons for me but I had some homework to do first.

This site has been great, not so much for telling me what I need to know, but for helping me figure out what I need to learn. Just by following the threads I knew I had to get educated about knots, tides and currents, baits and lures, underwater structure, safety measures, etc.

I found a great instructor in Newport who taught me the basics about tying knots, design and use of lures, information sources, etc. and his services were very reasonably priced. I didn't want to waste my surf lessons time on these fundamental things.

I took my first surf fishing lesson at Brenton Point yesterday morning. What a blast! I got knocked on my ass standing on the ledge, washed off the side into the rip, climbed back up and kept casting. A little sore today.

I'm a little late to this game, 57 years old with two shoulder surgeries and two new hips in the last four years. I love doing stuff where the danger can be tempered with training and equipment. I'm 24 years in the scaffold business, I ride motorcycles, I'm a gun nut, I hunt in the wilderness and just resigned from active duty after 20 years as a volunteer firefighter.

The point of this is I recognize the danger of surf casting, I recognize my limitations and choose to wear an inflatable PFD. It deployed when I went into the water yesterday which is why this is a funny story. The drowing that occured in Sandwich eight hours prior to that is a very sad one.

Thank you to the founders of this site and my instructors (you know who you are!). With all your help I'm going to catch a keeper in the next few weeks!

Stay Safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: Happy To Be Joining The Hunt

Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey Mass Hysteria that is a great story. I met you in the lot just before you headed out. The surf was strong that day. Your teacher for that day is quite a man. Helped me get started a year and a half ago and I am not that far behind you in years. First time they took me out one of them got swept off a rock into the surf. It happens and it's good to be prepared. Hope to get out there with you some time

Best wishes and Tight Lines
John

Oh and welcome aboard this site. A lot of great info and guys here. You will learn a lot if you listen to the old salts here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks, John. I enjoyed meeting you guys Saturday morning and look forward to fishing with you.

Kevin
Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Welcome aboard Kevin! Glad you had a good time. We'll do it again soon.