smitty's south jersey striper report!!!!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:51 PM

Default smitty's south jersey striper report!!!!!

Well guys here it is. Last friday in cape may was great. I had 3 bass 28-34", 4 shorts and a few runoffs. That was my first day of the season. Water was 43 degrees and sunny weather. Great day. Sinca then I have tried from Atlantic city to Strathmere Night and day. Nothing but skates and I hate catching skates. I Have tried fresh bait, finesse, and plugs at all different times of the tide from 2hrs before- 2hrs after hightide. I tried a few deep holes from high slack tide through low tide hoping for some bait fish held up in the holes but no hits. The water temp is up to about 46 so im hoping the bite will pickup some. I have been doing alot of scouting for baitfish or some bird activity but nothing much yet. I have broken out every piece of tackle I have and a few different fresh baits but since last friday nothing. I will be heading down to cape may this weekend so will see what's up. I have heard a few good reports from guys working the cape may rips in the boats so the fish are there just need them to come in toward shore to hookem up. If anyone from the area reads this and would like to go this weekend PM me and we can try together. I'll be there and hopefully the" slammin" bass will be to. Happy fishin to all. I'll post back and let yall know whats up. :D :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

they made it to staten island safe (until i crossed this cows eyes tonight). have to wait till i get the throw away camera developed for pics, happy fishing and thanks for chasin em up here!

Old 04-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Do me a favor and send me e few fish back down this way. lol!!! I am heading out this morning to see whats up. Send me those pics when you get them back. I am going to try some plugs for awhile then I'll throw some clam bellies and see what In can hook. Hopefully none of the stinkin skates this trip. there are nothing but a pain in the rear. I fought one for twenty minutesw the other day off the jetty. There was a real strong current and I just couldnt get him to budge. I even had my 9' lami with 50# pp with the drag cranked down. They just open those wings in the current and your screwed. Thats precios striper time wasted on a skate but oh well. I'll let you know how I make out today when I get home. :D :evil:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2005, 03:53 PM

Great Job smitty!!!! I am also going down their May 7th. Cant Wait, im glad to hear your catching stuff

Thanks
Old 04-09-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Saturday april 9

Well I headed out to a few spots in ocean city this morning. Hit the tide at slack high. Wind was really hawkin around 25-30knts so conditions were not really great. I started out on the sod banks with top water plugs and then some diving plugs of all different sizes on colors. Not a hit. The water was real choppy so there was no baitfish around at all. I messed around on the sod banks for about 2hrs with no fish so I headed up on the bridge right inside the inlet. I setup my clam rig and started drowning some fresh surf clams. I wound up with one 21" short and had about 4 good hits. The hits are really soft right now and I even had by baitrunner set super light and let em run abit before I set the hook but they still stole my clams. One fish still makes it all worth while. Alot of other guys on the beach in the inlet and out front but didn't see much being caught except alot of seaweed. The fish are deffinetly there just need to find the right spot. Im hopping the baitfish show soon. One fish is better then being skunked in my book. I'll be back out sunday but gotta be back for the race.Im thinkin about trying some cut herring so if anyone else has tried herring let me know how your doing. :D :twisted: