what kind of line should i use - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:59 PM

Default what kind of line should i use

hello, i have a jarvis walker 700s on my 10foot surf rod i am debaiting on what kind of line to use and the poundege i was thinking about using 50 but im not sure and suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 11:03 AM

Welcome to the site my friend.

If you want to go with 50# test....My opinion is that you wrap PowerPro braided line around that reel. The small diameter of the braid makes it so you can load alot more on your spool without losing the power or strength of 50# test. If you do go with a braided line, remember to always start with a mono backer. wind about 50-75yds on your spool first and then tie the braid on using an Albright knot. the reason for the back is that PowerPro and other braided lines tend to slip on themselves and the mono prevents this from happening.

I hope this helps a little as i swear by my braided line.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 01-16-2005, 04:04 PM

I understand the benfits of braid...but I cant bring myself to abandon my trusty old Trilene Big Game :D its my weapon of choice :D
Old 01-17-2005, 02:24 AM

Yea if your using just mono. stay with 20 to 30 pound test.
If you use a leader about 4 x more breaking strength (80 to 100#) for your 3 foot leader or shock leader.
8) The smaller the test the further the cast.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

KEEP1/2 MONO 1/2 BRAID there! everyones happy. HOWEVER, I USE A 50LB MONO LEADER CAUSE I'VE YANKED THE HOOK RIGHT THROUGH WEAKFISH'S MOUTH WITH PLAIN BRAID. TAKES TIME AND EXPERIENCE TO NOT TRY AND CROSS THIER EYES TO THE BACK OF THIER DORSAL FIN ONCE HIT WHILE USING BRAID

Old 01-23-2005, 01:30 AM

Zim

I reeled in a weakfish jaw. I left the rest of it out there.
Was like catchin a set of false teeth. :twisted:
Old 01-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

CAUGHT THESE ONCE :oops:

Old 03-02-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Leader for plugging

Hey Zimno1,
How long is your 50 lb leader? Just a short 3 foot guy or like a shock leader that you wrap around the spool a couple times? Also, is this for plugging or chunking. I just bought some braid for my new 9ft okuma for plugging and I'm thinking of putting on a leader so as not to spook the fish. I'm trying the new Stren super braid 40lb. Can you use 50lb mono for plugs or does this kill the action?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:30 PM

Default feel more with powerpro?

i heard you can feel alot more with powerpro. the way my buddy put it was you can feel a fish fart with it. is it that good?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you really don't need a shock leader for plugging with braid (imo) but if your jigging or chunking bait i'd use a mono leader cause 1. if you get snagged and try to hook what you think is a fish you could snap your line and at the very least snap your pole. 2. should you hook into a 30lb bass there is no give to this line and again run the risk of a break-off. 3. use a clear fluorocarbon leader, i use a leader the size of the fish i'm targeting, so 40+ inches is my bet but you have to use a pendulum cast keeping the leader out of the eye as the strength of the albright will diminish casting it through the eyes too often. i would not target weakfish with braid however. but that's just me.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:06 AM

Default power pro

That's a real funny way to put it. I don't know if you're gonna feel a fish fart, but if you're using a rod that is graphite or with some graphite in it you're going to feel head shakes etc. even when you've got a good amount of line out. The best part about it is the asting distance that you get. I've used the power pro on my abu 6500c and I have not exeperienced wind knot or backlash problems. In fact I got much less backlashes with the power pro than the 25lb excalibur mono that I use to use. I just bought some stren super braid for my spinning set-up since a freind of mine says it works much better on spinning gear than power pro ie. less backlashes and the teflon coating allows for even further casts. Well, we'll see. Otherwise, I just waisted 30 bucks.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you will get back lash on any braid. let me see if this rings a bell. you cast and now you reel in to check your bait 2 oz weight or less?. then you cast out again and (backlash) am i right? you need to reel the braid in (tight) around the spool. if need be hold the line taught with fingers as you reel onto the spool on a spinning reel and especially that abu (put magnets in it and you will get 15-20 more yards out of her) wind knots come when you reel it in too loose.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Veteran

Why do you use braid on a spining reel. I'm confussed.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

I'M SOOOOOO CONFUSED. alot of people don't like it (wind knots etc) but i can tell you that on my 8500 i got 30lb mono backing with 65lb power pro and it just casts so much better than mono. the only thing is braid is hard on your guide tips and spool, but i don't think you can compare the two for strength to land a biggun

Old 03-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1
I'M SOOOOOO CONFUSED. alot of people don't like it (wind knots etc) but i can tell you that on my 8500 i ( WHAT IS THAT) got 30lb mono backing with 65lb power pro and it just casts so much better than mono. the only thing is braid is hard on your guide tips and spool, but i don't think you can compare the two for strength to land a biggun
Zim is that a spinning reel or baitcasting 8500 i