Fishing with dead pogies - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Official Member

Default Fishing with dead pogies

I was fishing this past weekend and I had a little trouble and I thought why not ask the pros.

I bought some dead fresh pogies and they were in the boat as an after thought until we saw a boat pulling in some big ass fish. I took a look and saw they were live lining pogies and well needless to say I chunked a couple and thought I had it made. I went over to the spot they were fishing and started drifting some chunks and nothing happened. We got close to the other boat, made sure they didn’t have a problem with us being in the same area and continued on. I then noticed the pogies they were using were in fact dead and they were almost trolling them. I read in On The Water two months ago you can use dead pogies almost like an artificial and almost jig it. I remembered this threw a whole fish on and trolled it and jigged it. NOTHING. The other boat brought in three more monsters and we had nothing. It was like seeing a hot chick with a fat French dude, what the hell were we doing wrong.

I think it might have been a couple things but I want to get some help. The bait wasn’t acting natural; it was kind of spinning around on the line and looked awful. How do you prevent that? It was at the surface, egg sinkers will get the bait down but can you still jig it? We had 6ft boat rods that could not handle the 6 oz pogie, any help with rods that can fix that. Hook placement was a 7/0 bait hook through the upper jaw, would lower make any difference?

I hope this is the info you need to help me out.

Thanks

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Fishing with dead pogies

i went thru the same thing, I found that you have to troll as slow as possible...throw it into neutral, jig it ...go as slow as possible ...throw it into neutral ...keep your rods tight but to the side not straight up, they will take it rite at the top of the water also try goin with the tide.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Cow Catcher

Try dead sticking them.or yo-yo em. Do a search it should come up if not ill explain it when i have a little more time or maybe someone else can in the mean time.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Veteran Elite

What point said. It's also a good idea and real easy just to anchor down and start a chum slick and drift chunks,whole pogies or heads. This is easy, effective and saves on gas.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

pia. split the bunker beneath the belly like you would filet a fish. pull the bones and spine off the one side with pliers. cut the dorsal fin off if you like. get some rigging needles at the bait shop and some thread and sew her belly back up. the rig in the mouth could be a 3 oz egg sinker attached to a leader to hook out the back or a boa rig but this way the fish will have less spin as the girth and bulkiness of it is dramatically lessened. sorta like rigging ballyhoo for marlin but you could do just as good with bunker spoons if the fish are deep.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
pia. split the bunker beneath the belly like you would fillet a fish. pull the bones and spine off the one side with pliers. cut the dorsal fin off if you like. get some rigging needles at the bait shop and some thread and sew her belly back up. the rig in the mouth could be a 3 oz egg sinker attached to a leader to hook out the back or a boa rig but this way the fish will have less spin as the girth and bulkiness of it is dramatically lessened. sorta like rigging ballyhoo for marlin but you could do just as good with bunker spoons if the fish are deep.

an easier way is to use a length of sharpened tubing run it down through the mouth and core the back bone.... once you decide the amount of weight needed insert it in the mouth, pin the mouth shut with a 7/0 Gamigatsu circle, push a small piece of tubing over the barb and bend to hold the bait in place...... this bait can be slow trolled or fished yo-yo style...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i was almost certain you would just say "use a f#[email protected]#$n eel and be done with that!

Old 12-11-2008, 03:01 PM
swabbie

Yo yo technique works well but if the fish strikes and pulls the bait from your hook it can end up with lead in it's belly which is harmful to the fish. I use egg sinkers with the little brass eye at the top. I place the egg sinker in the dead bait's mouth with the eye towards the opening of the mouth. Then hook through the lower jaw, then through the eye of the sinker, and then out the upper jaw. The sinker is stuck in the mouth but attached to the bottom of your hook. You need a hook that doesn't have too much of a barb or a sinker with a larger eye. With this technique you can "yo-yo" the bait but the sinker is attached to your hook. Keep it nice and slow and give a bit when you get a bite before setting the hook. The one issue with this technique is that if you need a lot of weight (like in strong current) it doesn't allow you to add enough to be effective.

I also use chum and a three way with weight to drift chunks over structure when the drift is slow enough or even at anchor over a wreck. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

I like getting an idea of the bottom of my fishing area so that i can set up on an outgoing tide and while anchored drop my pogie head so that it falls into the dropoff.This might mean anchoring a little more upstream. anyway i then cut chips of pogie on my cuting board and let them drift down and past the bait. go see if it works
Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Charter Captain - Guide

I agree, Yo-Yo fishing is very dangerous as noted if the Bass steals your bait loaded with lead. I would never fish this way.

On my trips with my clients we fish whole dead Bunker a few ways;
1. Use a 3 way swivel and take a 4-6 ounce Bucktail with a strip of bunker on it and fish that on the bottom. Off the second eye about 4 feet up the line, take a 48' piece of leader, a 9/0 Octopus hook and hook the Bunker through the nostril cartilage. You can also tie a stinger off the first hook with a small length of leader and rubber band the hook alongside the bunker. You can drift and bounce the bottom with this rig and if the fish are thick, you can double up.

2. Fishfinder rig with a sliding egg sinker so it will roll over the bottom vs. using a bank sinker which could and will dig and could snag bottom.

**** Take a knife to the Cheek of the dead bunker as this is the source of their oil gland and doing this will allow the bait to secrete more scent in the water. If your bunker is not fresh or frozen, not a bad idea to soak them in saltwater with some Bunker Oil or Smelly Jelly...After 15 minutes, bring up your bait and get more scent on it before sending it down.

Tight Lines
Old 01-30-2009, 05:45 PM
take a kid fishing

This thread has a ton of good info for presenting dead bunker. What we must keep in mind though, is the fact that no dead bunker will attract bass like a live one. The vibration put out by a livelined bunker is an awesome fish-attracter.

That's why I liveline all spring long & into the summer. I just got a new barrel that should up my live bunker capacity to around 100. Can't wait for spring!
Staten Island, New York
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

soon. real soon